Looking For A Flying V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking For A Flying V

Not just any V, but I'm looking for a Gibson Flying V, mid to late 1970s to early 1980s. I'm looking for a specific color, red body with white pickguard and black headstock with white truss rod cover. When I say red, I don't mean cherry or faded cherry. The guitar needs to be in 8.5 condition or better. I will try to find a picture reference, but for those that have UFO's Force It album, the guitar can be seen on the back cover. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
    "POOP"

Re: Looking For A Flying V

Well hell, I guess I stuck this in the wrong forum. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
    "POOP"

Comment

On the hunt for another V huh? Solid red? Not sure I have ever seen one. Probably pretty rare in that color, no? wow look at this WHITE ONE on ebay and ended reserve not met. jeez....I guess $750 in 81 will pay off now.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Hey Stuka, yea, the only two I've ever seen played by celebs were Michael Schenker and K.K Downing. If I'm not mistaken, K.K got rid of his after having ESP build him a clone.

I hope I can score one without having to pay extreme stupid coinage, but I've gotta get a bite before I can set the hook. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
        "POOP"

Comment

It seems the front of the album cover has been slightly altered (for the better).

"POOP"

Comment

KK Downing has used Hamers for many-many years, many Hamer V`s, just not sure when he started using Hamers, my guess is early to mid 80`s? Jack.

Comment

Dear slayer, this site doesn't have enough room for me to post all the pictures of K.K. playing Gibson Flying Vs. Yes, he has also played Hamer and ESP custom Vs also.

Stuka, here's the beauty I'm looking for. I also found out that this color was an experiment and only 25 were built. So I'd say they are pretty rare and extremely costly.

"POOP"

Comment

When I saw Priest on the SFV tour KK was still using his Gibsons. He also took a header down the stairs and knocked it so out of tune his tech ran out and gave him another.

Why does that one have 2 logos? Mine only has the one on the truss rod cover. I really don't like the decal on the headstock.
                Scott
                Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Prepare to spend some money....here's a 1 of a 25 custom-color run in blue and it's at 3000+ and it's a second:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...03807&rd=1

Comment

Jeez...if I had any idea these things would be worth this kind of scratch, I would have bought more than one back then. And thank God I got mine out of pawn all those times back in the 80's. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    Scott

Comment

Thanks "L," but that guitar has too many issues for that kinda "scratch." Also, here's the description taken from the sale. I've placed the negative parts in brackets.

Up for auction is a rare 1981 Gibson Flying V in the limited edition color of Bahama Blue. These limited edition colors were made in batches of less then 25 each in 1980 and 81 and Bahama Blue is the rarest. The Guitars (pickups have been changed) to cream DiMarzio Super Distortions, but is otherwise all original. The guitar is a (factory second) and has a (imperfection on the back) where the wood was dinged before the finish was applied. It almost (looks like fingerprints). Maybe some Gibson employee was a little too strong for his own good. (The guitar has an unusual feature where the neck finish covers the sides of the binding, with fret markers painted over it). The guitars finish has been worn through on the inside lower horn of the V most likely by a bad guitar stand. The guitar has other minor scratches and dings on the body. The finish has yellowed in certain spots giving it a greener appearence, around the neck joint and edges of the guitar. The guitar is lightweight and comes with the original Gibson Hardshell Case.

"The guitar has an unusual feature where the neck finish covers the sides of the binding, with fret markers painted over it." Sorry seller, but that is not unusual.

More than likely, I'm just gonna have to stumble upon one and hope that I've already made my house and car note. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      "POOP"

Comment

G, the binding is painted on mine too. Does that make it unusual? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I just took it as Gibson being too lazy to tape it off when they painted it.
                        Scott

Comment

Maybe it's the owners that are unusual. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] God forbid the thought of Gibson every being lazy.
                          "POOP"

Comment

does it have to be a gibson?

those prices are silly. i got this '81 hamer vector in a custom color (yep, for some reason white was not stock) and with a delightful sustain block bridge for 500$. one of the best guitars ive ever played, if you love fat, meaty late 70's early 80's hard cock (or rock) this thing kills.

Comment

Thanks for the offer, but I'm a Gibson fanatic. Nice looking Hamer at a nice price though.
                              "POOP"

Comment

Working...
                              X