Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BCR Owners - Help Identify A BC Rich (pic heavy!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BCR Owners - Help Identify A BC Rich (pic heavy!)

I am a long time lurker of these boards, and I am hoping somebody here who has been thru alot of older guitars like this might be able to shed some info as to its origins. I emailed Neal Moser asking about it, and he said it was an import, but i don't buy that - it has too much stuff from old BCRs that you see on eBay, other guitars forums, ect. (overall construction, hardware, the headstock overlay) to be counted off as some old japanese made thing (yet). Here are the specs (and pics):

- Kahler tremelo, says "kahler made in usa", and "us pat 4457201 d s"

- 1 humbucker, 1 volume. the knob is the same as the "vintage bc rich knob" that neal moser has listed on his parts page of nealmoser.com. the pickups is a dimarzio super distortion.

- neckthru construction. there is a part of the control cavity that isn't sprayed black, the wood (of the wings at least) appears to be mahoganey.

- i don't know what the wood of the fingerboard is, but it doesn't look like the rosewood i have on my other guitars (never owned one with ebony). it is mostly dark, with one very prominent red streak running the length of the board on the bass side. the inlays are MOP.

- rosewood overlay on headstock, large "r" on it, appears to be MOP.

- grover tuners. the back of the headstock is stamped "u0167" (just like that, the u is lower case). that is the only marking on the entire guitar.

- mockingbird cavity plate, exactly like the one neal sells thru his personal site.

i got it off ebay about a week ago, it is easily the best sounding and playing guitar i have ever layed hands upon. the only guitar i can think of that i have played that this compares to was an early 80's custom shop gibson les paul with a gold kahler factory installed on it. the neck is big, not like the bc rich imports from the past 5 years or so (those being the only rich's i have played). any ideas? i am eventually going to post this on the bcr forum (as soon as the send my login information) too, so hopefully i will get some ideas about what this thing is. cheers!

Re: BCR Owners - Help Identify A BC Rich (pic heavy!)

Okay, www.chrisguitars.com has a warlock verson of one of these for sale. I made a post about it a few months ago. What we basically came up with, thanks to some of the BCR experts here, is that this is part of the BC Rich affordable custom line. A hand made (maybe?) or atleast USA quality guitar at much less cost.

They were made in mexico, to spec. Said to be really cool guitars.

Please do me a favor and post a full review, I've always wanted to know more. That thing is damn cool.

Comment

that's one sweet looking Ironbird. It looks like an old USA model, couldn't say what year though. [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
      93 USA Soloist EDS
      USA HT6 Juggernaut
      Charvel DK24FR

Comment

It's from the "US Series" Made in Mexico, assembled in the BC Factory. Short-lived budget US line between '86 and '88. Very cool and rare axes nonetheless!

US series guitars sported one humbucker, usually a Kahler (as yours has) and one volume control. And were neckthru with typical US appointments. I've had several of these over the years (before I began collecting Jacksons, I was heavy into BC Rich collecting).

Comment

Wow, that's really cool, wherever it was made.

Comment

Hmmm. My cousin has one like it which is cammoed (paint by "SL" - "Screamin Leaman"?!?!?). BC Rich told him that they were made in Japan???? last year (he has had the guitar since '87 and it not "newish" when he got it. Defenatly not a USA model but very well made nonetheless.
            "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

yeah, RR05xx seconded what basically was said on the moser custom shop board, this is the message a guy sent me that neal said was spot on - [ QUOTE ]
              Yes LC, nice guitar.. It's an early Japan built import neck-thru.. The confusing "U" series are not so much talked about be really well built import versions of the USA Riches. An easy earmark of a non-USA Rich is an inset electronics cavity cover... Neal talked Bernie out of recessing them to save time... Only some of the first BCR Seagulls had recessed plates... So, besides missing the exotic electronics and nicer woods, the "U series" guitars are quite good... Of course the biggest element missing was Neal's setup work... but now I have him a captive prisoner for that! bwahhahahaa

Oh, and like some of the later 80s USA BCs, that "R" is actually a sticker and not MOP... under the clear coat... hence the "perfect" inlay job! I have seen a few USAs with that darn sticker on it as well.... They were cutting costs left and right after Neal left... Hence the decline of the the good ol' days!

Good score I was watching that one on ebay.

Cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

Comment

Re: BCR Owners - Help Identify A BC Rich (pic heav

THAT IS A MADE IN JAPAN Custom they were made for NON US sales ONLY, obviously some made it over here, ive owned a few. The mexican made guitars WX7 spoke of look nothing like that. U serial# guitars are built in japan. If you bought that on EBAY you got ripped off. the seller posted that guitar on the BCRICH forum & all of the KNOWLEDGABLE collectors told the guy it was an import. If you notice the truss rod route has a flat bottom & looks like a C/J truss rod route. not a rounded bottom like on USAs. its also got an inlayed control cover, those are ALL MADE IN JAPAN features. also look at the control route its obviously machined & is clean, USA bcr's control route is done in 2 or 3 passes, deeper with each pass, not all at once like an import. & if it was made in the USA its got the wrong route shape. almost every BCRich shape has its own route shape, the HIGH END imports share THAT common route shape. ide be willing to bet the rosewood veneer for the headstock is paper thin & the R inlay is actually a sticker,not inlayed. BTW when it was on ebay i emailed the seller & told him he was selling an IMPORT as a USA made guitar, he didnt care. if you look on the BCR forum you can look at the original post about that guitar. the owner is/was an a$$ & bought the guitar to seel at a profit & didnt like the fact all the collectors said it was an import. & one more thing Neal has more info about pre 1985 BCRs than almost anyone, he & Mal ran the place.

Comment

that's a really sweet ironbird
                  "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    ide be willing to bet the rosewood veneer for the headstock is paper thin & the R inlay is actually a sticker,not inlayed.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you would be right on both counts. My cousin broke up the headstock in college (dumb b!tch tripped over it at a party) and I got to see the result. Veneer and sticker. The guitar has since been parted out after the headstock broke off for a second time.
                    "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Jamie...
                      The "U" serial number is what always confused me on these.

Comment

Are there any Stealth versions of this out there?
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yes...I had one about 4 years ago. Then you have your typical BC's...Mocks,Bich's,Warlocks, etc...

Comment

cool beans ive never seen a ironbird(before this one) or a stealth of this version. i had a couple of mocks & warlocks of this type. & if it was made in mexico back then we wouldnt know. BCR was making blanks in mexico back in 79. they were NO different than the El Monte made ones. this was BCRs little secret untill fairly recently. IIRC abour 40% of all MADE IN USA BCRs were actually made in TJ mexico. they were using mexican luithier anyway so decided to make a shop down there rather than expand in Cali. from what i know I havent know of anyone other than Neal that can tell the difference. Funny thing is he actually liked the mexican made mocks better, since there were slight differences in the template. they made everything but most of them were mahogany & finished in solid colors. also IIRC NO bichs or firebird type headstocks were done in mexico AKA BCRich south.

Comment

Jamie...the stealth did have the Firebird style headstock. But then again, I'm still unclear as to the serial source. It was a U serial. Neckthru, single hum and single volume. with a Quadmatic tail.

Comment

Working...
                              X