What Acoustics do JCF Members Play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Acoustics do JCF Members Play?

I have two Taylors - a 710 and a Baby. The Taylors play wonderfully and for someone coming from an electric background, you might really like the action. Also, the Taylors are voiced to usually have a little more upper-end brilliance. The guitars are really well-made and with the new neck joint introduced a few years back, setups are very easy for a tech to do.
    Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

That 614CE is so sweeeeet!!
      I want one like that or 615(jumbo body??).

Comment

I don't have a nice acoustic right now. Every time I save up for one, I blow the $ on another electric instead. But, I've tried many and can tell you what has impressed me (FWIW). If you have the $, you can't go wrong with a Taylor. I like the 414ce (about $1500) (and in my dreams, the 714ce, which runs about $2500). If you want one for $400-600, I'd recommend an Alvarez. Nice sound, fantastic action and necks. I want an Alvarez PF90SC (A/E folk-sized cutaway with solid spruce top & non-solid rosewood back & sides for $600 new) or an Alvarez AD90SCK (outrageous looking A/E jumbo with Florentine cutaway, again for $600 new). I also think the RainSongs are very interesting, both the all fiber, pricey ones (around $2000) and the Korean-made fiber top, laminated mahogany back & sides ones for $900. If I could find one to try, I'd probably buy it, but they're tough to find.

Also, Ovation has always made nice guitars, and with the "LX" upgrades they've made to several of their models, they're supposed to be even better now - and since they're not fashionable right now, you can probably get a good deal on one. Good luck, and let us know your thoughts as your search progresses. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          My Taylor 814CE and I just bought a Martin HD-35 for my Dad as a Christmas Present.... If the Martin had upper fret access she would never leave my house.... Instead, she's going to the old man. The Taylor??? Well, the Taylor just kicks ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's My 814CE....

And here's the Martin HD-35....

Comment

TOO COOOOL Brad!
            Love the Taylor... Me want!!
            [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Some ABSOLUTELY gorgeous eye candy here, especially the Taylors! In a couple of days, I will be receiving my 1998 K14c which I saw in the classifieds section of the Acoustic Guitar Forum. Damn, that place gives me intense GAS like the JCF does. I'm still a newbie there and I've already bought a high-ticket item. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Here are some photos the seller took:

I will be taking MUCH better photos when it arrives. I will be paying for her tomorrow afternoon... I'm getting all giddy like a schoolgirl!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The two acoustics I currently have are for sale in the Classifieds, with the Takamine being on hold for Kennslp who posted a few posts above.

Comment

NOTP, the guitar you are getting, does it have a small ding or something on the top?
                One of the picture is showing that..
                Cool guitar by the way!

Comment

Yes, the fourth picture shows the small ding in the cedar top of the guitar. Other than that, the guitar is supposedly mint. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The seller bought it that way from his local store... I will do a full inspection when I receive it!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] It was worth the price considering the seller lives in my province (no duties and no brokerage fees to pay) and koa may be put as an endangered species anytime soon like Brazilian rosewood. The value might skyrocket in a couple of decades or something... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

A Martin D12-35 (1971), Adamas 6 string (early 80's model) and a Martin HD-35.
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I play Takamine- my FAVORITE acoustic guitars.
                      The Seagull Portrait is my second favorite and is at the top of my wishlist now.
                      I second the Dean Markley pro-mag pickups- I have one as well. Pretty spiffy.
                      If you try out that new Takamine with the little tube pre-amp thingymajig let me know... been dyin' to try one out. I have to travel hours just to get to a Takamine dealer. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Good luck, have fun!
                      Em

Comment

A Dean Exotica Andes

like this one:

Comment

I have a USA Guild - great guitar for the $. I'd recommend on an acoustic guitar to play through a bunch before you buy... there's way too much variance in them, even of the same model. I worked for a Taylor dealer, and 'cherry picked' the best sounding guitar there after going through the stock for 6 months.

It was a (relatively) cheap 410E. Wish I still had it - sounded awesome.

Pete

Comment

Yeah, the lower series Taylors are surprisingly fantastic sounding. Just different woods and different trimmings in the lower series, that's all. And Taylor has something like 80 or so different guitar models in their lineup... to me that is STAGGERING and you can truly find the one that fits you.

Plus, you can do special order options which is something that Newc has been talking about a little bit recently regarding Jackson. On the 500 series and up, you can change the cutaway shape, add/remove the cutaway/electronics, add special inlays, choose a Sitka/Engelmann/Cedar soundboard, the rosette pattern, and stuff like that. Small stuff that would make the guitar very personal without much added cost. Especially if you're doing away with the electronics, you save a little bit more! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

A Charvel 625 C is my 6 string and a Yamaha FG 512 for a 12 string. Neither one is top notch or anything, but acoustic also isn't my style of choice [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. Both are decent guitars for the money.

Comment

Everyone else did it so here's mine. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jason

Comment

Working...
                                X