Semi-Annual Wayne Guitars Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semi-Annual Wayne Guitars Discussion Thread

Okay, so the Music Zoo is selling a bunch of the Waynes on Ebay. All cool lookin' guitars.

Seems to me these things have a tough time selling, and when they do, their resale value plummets.

Here's my question: What's up with that? Why aren't these things more popular? I'm thinking that the members of this board would be way into them, much like all of us appreciate GMPs and GMWs.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Re: Semi-Annual Wayne Guitars Discussion Thread

From what I've been told & from my own experience the Waynes are very hit & miss re:fretwork/playability!!Too bad,that HRF is killer!!

Comment

IMHO, it is the a$$ ugly headstock.

Comment

Yeah, well it just got worse. Looks like that Muppet Gonzo's nose now.

Comment

i played everyone they had at guitar asylum & a few at music zoo. some are ok some are bad & a few are real nice. i found the fit & finish was excellent, they sound real nice. but playabilty there are some issues IMHO. i also have a problem with the re use of serial#s. i have a rock legend its nice but it cant touch a an anderson or suhr or most of the other high end boltons. hell i had an 12xx SD jackson bolton strat & IMHO it was alot better than the wayne other than the color...

Comment

I've played four Waynes. One was very cool, one was OK, and the other two were piles.
            Piles with $2800 price tags on them.
            Even the people that are into Waynes will tell you to play as many as you can get your hands on before buying one, and wouldn't buy any Wayne without playing it first.

I've also owned a couple of Wayne bodies with the intent of building a parts monster, and wasn't the least bit impressed with the workmanship of those either.

It's a shame, cause with the pedigree, I would love to love them, but...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I've played four Waynes. One was very cool, one was OK, and the other two were piles.
              Piles with $2800 price tags on them.
              Even the people that are into Waynes will tell you to play as many as you can get your hands on before buying one, and wouldn't buy any Wayne without playing it first.

I've also owned a couple of Wayne bodies with the intent of building a parts monster, and wasn't the least bit impressed with the workmanship of those either.

It's a shame, cause with the pedigree, I would love to love them, but...

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah it always made me [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] how GMW could be better at making a charvel than WAYNE CHARVEL [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                yeah it always made me [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] how GMW could be better at making a charvel than WAYNE CHARVEL [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe cuz Wayne didnt have anything to do with the 80s Chavels that GMW has done such a fine job of reproducing. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I had one and it sounded great and played ok.
                  I think they are nice. Just make sure what you are getting and I am sure there are some that will play great but GMW will be my choice.

Comment

aside from the pi$$ poor customer service there are several things that drove me/many away.....the idea that you get what you get and thats it.....michael has a formula and doesnt want to stray from it ,for times sake, no matter what you are willing to spend............ the big thing many of us dont like is the "great bait and switch" they pulled....... mainly all the propaganda on the first wayne site about necks feeling identical to the old '70s necks. who's necks ? certainly not a charvel neck..!.!..... add to that all the hoo haa on brass hardware... michael pulled the single biggest draw out from under us very quickly...of the 125 or so waynes I have collected serial numbers and descriptions on , only 3 have vintage brass trems, only #51 has a brass hardtail, [but was told 3-4 others exist]... so that tells you how hard he worked to keep brass around.....I had 14 waynes ..all bought in about a 9 month time frame ranging from #01 to #190 something... I am way detail anal.... I kept two of them #01 and #51 ,and for a while wish'd I kept star #146 thats the only one that really felt like a real charvel s-head........of those [14] ,
                    6 had major fretwork issues [above the 14th fret].. thats not a good quality control ratio....... I really like the ones I have as they were my first 2 and thankfully had no issues....but " I am done with michael and dont want any representation of his efforts in my collection".... its that simple...... I will say if your gonna buy one play it, or if you know and trust someones judgement/description go ahead.... but be careful...the rumours are all true.... the new headstock looks like something out of greek mythology, its ridiculous...it took me a while to get used to the old wayne "boogie bodies" headstock ... it looks alot better in person than in a picture.. I do like it...one thing to take into consideration is; this is the best venture wayne has been involved in since he sold charvel to grover, and these guitars will definately be worth big money someday and it looks sooner than later if the news of shutting down is true...........john

Comment

I forgot to mention, in an early conversation with michael I offered to loan him one of my early serialized stratheads for neck backshape reference, as i noticed none of the ones I had felt even close... he scoffed saying they were all different back then so it made no sense to try and cop one particular guitar... hows that for a F.O. ?
                      john

Comment

I liked the way #146 looked...wish I had bought it.

Comment

I was starting to look into one of those, but started finding out people had some mixed views. Quite a few not so good. Quality control and what not. It sucks because some of them look cool. Well, except any with the new headstock.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I forgot to mention, in an early conversation with michael I offered to loan him one of my early serialized stratheads for neck backshape reference, as i noticed none of the ones I had felt even close... he scoffed saying they were all different back then so it made no sense to try and cop one particular guitar... hows that for a F.O. ?
                            john

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason he scoffed is because he would have just had to turn around and send it off to the company making the necks for them and pay more money for them to match the shape.
                            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Yeah, I hate mine......I think the Wayne-hatin' is a fairy tale. This one plays like smoke, and the others I have come in contact with were just as good. Maybe the older ones blew, but it sure seems to me to be a thing of the past.

Shawn
                              Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X