Victim of G.A.S. Attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victim of G.A.S. Attack

Well, was in my local Gibson shop, the place where I still take lessons (trying to rid myself of my embarrassing lack of talent) when I thought I would try the latest crop of LP's that had just come in. The owner parked me in front of an amp and was handing a different LP for me to try every 10 mins or so. The classics were nice, but nothing special, I can't stand supremes, can't afford reissue 57's so that knocked those out, but man, the standard that I tried blew my doors off! It is a rootbeer color with the alnico magnet pups. The neck just felt so perfect. After playing it a few mins the owner took it and tweaked the setup a little after I asked him to lower the action a bit more. When he brought it back, I was even more blown away, the neck was unreal. Great intonation, I checked it with both a tuner and a couple of open chords, none of those annoying sharp notes that you get playing open chords with some gibsons. The guitar is about medium weight for the LP's I have tried, not too heavy, not chambered body light. I was playing through a Fender Twin Reverb amp, and was really digging the clean tone. I was playing basic blues riffs and some jazz chords and such. I switched to a Traynor 80 watt amp and blasted some clapton/cream stuff as well as some Kossoff riffs I have been working on, wow, those pups are sweet sounding! I am sold, this axe will be mine. I only had 500 clams in my checking account, so I laid that bitch away, I think I have finally found the LP that I have been looking for forever. The owner was a bit upset that I wanted him to install the pickguard, but I can't stand not having one on there. I have been back three times this week just to jam with it. ****, I want to bring it home now! Looks like pork and beans and mac n cheese for dinner this month! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Chuck
    "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Re: Victim of G.A.S. Attack

What did you dislike about the Supremes?
    "POOP"

Comment

I can imagine the reason why some people don't dig supremes is the inlays.

Congrats!

A lot of folks are getting into LPs lately including myself.
      I got my 73' LPC in Black too.
      I want a Historic in the future.
      [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

<font color="yellow">I love my Jackson's, don't get me wrong, but there truly is nothing like a good Gibson Les Paul Custom [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

</font>

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          <font color="yellow">I love my Jackson's, don't get me wrong, but there truly is nothing like a good Gibson Les Paul Custom [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally Agree.....

Comment

The Supreme's had too much inlay stuff going on, plus, I don't really dig the whole chambered body thing. If I want something like that I would look into a Howard Roberts Fusion or 335. If it were up to me, the standard I chose would have had a plain top. I like working guitars, pretty ones just don't do that much for me.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              there truly is nothing like a good Gibson Les Paul Custom

[/ QUOTE ]

My criteria for an LP was pretty simple. Initially I was just gonna save the bread up and buy myself a nice custom, but the more research I did the more I realized that QC at gibson is hit or miss. It is pretty common to get axes that have intonation/scale problems from them, and that was something I wanted to avoid. So I figured my best bet was to try a bunch out to get a good feel for what to look for. I tried everything too, studios, customs, supremes, reissues, classics and standards. I rated neck feel/proper intonation the most important. Then the acoustic sound of the guitar was next. I wanted something with great sustain unplugged. Then pups and finish last were my final criteria. This standard just happened to fit all those criteria super well. Great neck feel and intonation, ringing sustain both unplugged as well as amplified and then great pickups and a cool color. That was what excited me the most, that I found one guitar that met all my expectations. A 57 reissue I tried looked awesome but I disliked the fretsize and it didn't intonate as well, all that and it was 1800 dollars more...crazy! This puts off my US charvel or Jackson that I had planned to get this winter, so that will get moved to next spring now.

Chuck

Comment

We need some pics!!!!!!!!!
                I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

No pics until I pay it off. Probably a couple more weeks. Sooner if I sell one or two of my current guitars. Don't know if I could do that though.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]

</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally Agree.....

[/ QUOTE ] I also concur! I love my Jacksons and Gibsons equally and both brands share the duties.

Chasbo, congrats on the new purchase.
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X