Why doesn't Gibson use Floyds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why doesn\'t Gibson use Floyds?

I saw him use that guitar live last summer ('03). Killer tone, and he was smoking. Given that it's been at least a year and a half later - maybe more - I kind of wonder if Gibson isn't going to do it, though. Cool about the longer scale length, too. I've never preferred short scale.

Comment

Yeah a 25 1/2" scale LP would definitely be interesting, especially with a narrow nut width [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

There's an old Floyd Rose that was made for Les Pauls and other studmounted bodies (Vs, Explorers, SGs, etc) that required no routing. I had one for a while but never installed it.
      Wish I had it back [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I have one of those Floyds. They blow chunks bigtime. They look real cool though............

Comment

I have seen more Gibsons with Kahlers than Floyds. Anyways, IMO Gibsons are meant to have hardtails. If I were to get a Gibson with a trem, I'd want s Bigsby. As long as I had someone to change the strings on it for me.

Comment

I didn't think this one looked to bad at all.

Interesting thread, I didn't think that Gibson put a floyd on anything at all.

BTW, if you really wanted one, you could order the floyd from Carvin or Warmoth and have it installed. I'm thinking about doing it to my Peavy that has a tune-o-matic bridge. I've gotten used to it, but there are so many things that I'm limited from without a trem.

Comment

For the few that thought the floyd was cool, I took some closeup pics to better show the guitar:
              [image][/image]

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

Comment

I really think your LP with the floyd is just wicked MountainDog.

[img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

One day after I buy an amp and some other equipment I'll have to buy a LP and get a floyd installed!

Comment

That LP Custom Lite is stunning! Makes me want to take a rounter to a Les Paul ... no, really.
                  I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Richie Sambora had a sweet flametop LP with a Floyd, and Kee Marcello of Europe had a cool SG with a Floyd...hard to tell if they were stock from the customshop or after-market, though.

Comment

The Sambora one wasn't a Gibson, like one of his V's.
                      And you forgot one of the first to have a LP with Floyd... Neal Schon!!!! (see the "No more lies" video with Jan Hammer)

The SG from Kee Marcello is really nice

And of course, beautiful guitar.

Comment

The one Schon used at the Crossroads Festival in Dallas was a Black (similar to the above) LP Custom Archtop with a "special neck angle" to compensate for the F.R. I hope Gibson makes it an archtop if they do go into production!
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

hey dont forget Robbin's custom shop firebird with an OFR...i always wanted that guitar. I still remember when I saw it in the hardrock as a kid i may even have a pic of it somewhere with me standing under the display.

Comment

If they ever offered a Mathias Jabs signature Explorer, I'd be all over it! And I would want the Floyd AND the stripes.

Comment

Sambora's LP was made by Rod Schoepher...It was a Schoepher brand guitar. It had a kahler on it.
                              Monte

Comment

Speaking of Kalhers:

'81 LPC with Kalher and EMGs (sorry for the crappy pic).
                                "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Working...
                                X