• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beautiful Gibson '84 Explorer

Hey Guys,

Looky here:

http://users.pandora.be/metallipriest/gibsons

I'm buying this as we speak. But what kind of an explorer is it? Following the Gibson Blue Book on their site, it's an Explorer I.
    I need to know for sure really, because I need a mahogany body guitar again, badly.

Isn't she beautiful? [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Re: Beautiful Gibson \'84 Explorer

Yep .. she sure is. Congratz! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

She's got a Designer Series Graphic, by the way.

And of course, I have to thank Pete for getting me into contact with the seller. Thanks man, this is a dream come true! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

It's a 1984 Explorer from the Designer Series,cool axe,congrats!!

Comment

It´s the sister to my Flying V. [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] Great score, how much did you pay?

The correct Model Name is Explorer ´83 (even though they were made in ´84). Brazilian Rosewood Fretboard, maple neck, alder body, 2 Dirtyfingers, sometimes with funky graphics like this one (my V matches but has silver wher this ex has gold), some had Kahler Trems factory mounted (like my V). I´ve been looking for one exactly like this for years, be glad you spotted her before I did [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

And if you EVER sell that guitar, please contact me first [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh thanks man, all the info I needed! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I definitly love her. But I think you'd be mad if you heard about my (possible) plans of perhaps refinishing her, I admit it would be a bit of a shame.

Alder body, hmm, I was definitly hoping for Mahogany, but I guess that shouldn't matter that much.

And in response to your last demand; you got it man. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Very nice and a great score, I always wanted one of the Designer Series guitars. Enjoy!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                ...I definitly love her. But I think you'd be mad if you heard about my (possible) plans of perhaps refinishing her, I admit it would be a bit of a shame.....
                And in response to your last demand; you got it man. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Please don´t, it would be a shame to have to kill you (just kidding, it´s your axe, but it WOULD be a shame [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                2. Thanks. Although I must say, if she´s refinished, she becomes uninteresting for me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

But I think you´ll love her so much you´ll forget about wanting to refinish her. Especially since 20 year old nitro tends to have a "light airiness" to the tone that a refinish will instantly destroy [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Suh-weet guitar bro. I have always loved those pickguard-less explorers.

Comment

Congrats on the score [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

And yes, '83 was when they first started using the "Designer Series" label on the Vs and Explorers.

Here's mine [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Originally had the Gibson-logoed Kahler.

The Alder isn't bad for it, but I was hoping for mahogany as well.
                    The board on mine was reeeeeeeally light - almost like a dark maple [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    I had it refinned and T.O.M./Stopbar'd and ebonized and blockified and bullseyed [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Is anything original looking on that guitar, Newc? :P

But that being said, I do like that a lot! Never knew a bullseye design would look that good on an Explorer, and the blocks are beautiful as well!

Zerberus, I'm probably not going to refinish er, but play her, fix her up a bit (polish, etc), and then going to snoop around to see how much I can get in Europe. Because I have my heart set on a mahogany bodied and necked Explorer with either ebony or rosewood fingerboard.

Comment

Hmm, we may even be able to work out a trade if you can convince yourself that a Gothic isn´t so bad [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But let´s RECIEVE our Explorers first before we start speculating on trades and such [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Good idea. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                          X