Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les Paul Studio

Hey gang,

Just wanted to get your opinions on the Les Paul Studio.
    Specifically, a 2000 Les Paul Studio with dots and gold hardware.

I have been offered one in a trade deal, but I don't know anything about Gibsons.
    He says its rare. Is it?
    What is the going price on one of these?
    How do they rate as a player? Quality?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I will post pics when I get them.

Thanks!

Re: Les Paul Studio

What does he want to trade you for it? They're not very rare, a normal production model that usually goes for about $1200 new and $700-$800 used, depending on condition of course. Out of all the Les Pauls, the Studios are my favorite-I think they play great with the bigger 50s neck and they sound nice and meaty too. The lack of binding bothers some people but I rather like it. The quality is just as good as the rest of the USA-non Custom Shop Gibson stuff. Check it out though, as Gibsons tend to be sort of inconsistent in the past few years. Any more questions, just ask!

Comment

Isn't a studio with dots really a special? I dunno. Studios have trapeze inlays and no binding.
      "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

<font color="aqua">A 2000 studio with dots? You'll have to get pics of this if you can. I know the studios in the 80's were made with dots when they first came out but then switched to the trapezoid blocks later on. As far as the quality of these, I have a 1990, alpine white w/gold hardware and the ebony fretboard and it plays amazingly. I also have heard that they were very inconsistant in recent years so you'd want to try it out first if possible. </font>
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I playeda brand new LP studio a few months ago and it was nice. Had a good tone too-those gibson pups are great sounding. LP studiod seem to have different eatures every couple years. I would try to get the serial number and date it through GIbson.

Comment

I have a 1983 Studio with dots. It's a amazing guitar. I hate the pick ups though [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

Ask him for the serial number.

Comment

I've played numerous Studios, the Studio Plus Lite being my favorite. The Studios are very inconsistent in their production, I've played really awful Studios to Studios which were excellent shred-machines. The 2000 Studios certainly aren't rare. I believe the Studio has a relatively thinner body compared to the Classic/Standard/Custom, making it a lighter guitar. I think you'll just have to play it

Comment

OK Here's a pic...

What do you think?
                Doesn't look too special to me.
                But then again, I don't know squat about Gibsons!

Comment

You're right, it's basically a Special with a maple cap and no big inlays. I wouldn't give it a second thought and leave it, you can do much better than that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I thought about picking up a Studio, but the fact that Gibson can't manage to put real MOP inlays on a $1200 guitar just doesn't sit right with me.
                    sigpic

Comment

Gibson dabbled with the dots, then I think went back to full size inlays, then did the mini trap inlays, then went back to full size inlays and now has dots again on the limited edition colors.

You can get a decent one with full size inlays on ebay for around $600 give or take if you are patient. I would value that one with the dot inlays at about $500.

Matt

Comment

Cool!
                        Thanks everyone!
                        Your help has been greatly appreciated!!

I am going to pass on this one.

Comment

They went away from the traps for a year or so right around 2000 - I could never figure out why. I didn't care for the dots - it really cheapened the look. Mine is a 1996 model. I have tow - one white w/ebony board, and the cherry red with rosewood. Nice guitars. Love the way the play and the way they feel. Blows away the 2000 Les Paul Classic I bought and ended up being very disappointed with. The Studios I have are really much nicer guitars IMHO - I can live without a little binding! But these days I'm really jonesing for a Soloist for some reason...

I have one I'm looking to trade with trap inlays if you're interested. Same guitar otherwise. Let me know what you're considering parting with.

Comment

I love my '04 MF "exclusive" Vintage Mahogany model. Got it when they were on sale for $899. It went back up to $999 and then someone on the LP board told me they went to $799 for a little bit and then back up to $999 again. Still a very good deal on an LP... and the Burstbucker Pro pups were pretty nice. Though, I put a ZW EMG set in (85 in the bridge, 81 in the neck). It rocks!!!!! I'm actually glad the top is also mahogany instead of maple. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

chris_olson, those Classics are really overpriced guitars. Most people don't seem to like 'em, especially lead players. I find the Studio much more comfortable, at least the neck, and sometimes even prettier despite the lack of binding. The Standard however is a small step up again, and beats the Classic hands down IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X