Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Les Paul Studio

[ QUOTE ]
    chris_olson, those Classics are really overpriced guitars. Most people don't seem to like 'em, especially lead players. I find the Studio much more comfortable, at least the neck, and sometimes even prettier despite the lack of binding. The Standard however is a small step up again, and beats the Classic hands down IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I've had a number of Studios over the years. They've done everything I've needed them to do as well as anything "higher-end" that Gibson offers. But I sure wish I had a Soloist!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      chris_olson, those Classics are really overpriced guitars. Most people don't seem to like 'em, especially lead players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have played close to 15 classics in the last year, along with double that in studios, 5 standards and a couple customs and reissues and I have to agree. Some of the people I have talked to really dug the classics, but while the playability is fine, I dont dig the ceramic humbuckers they put in them. They just don't have as nice a sound as the studios or even the standards.
      "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

I had a 2000 Classic that I didn't really care for as well. The neck was sticky. The pick-ups were okay. It didn't stay in tune very well with the stock tuners. I did, however, try several new Standards and some used Studios which I liked. The Classic just wasn't for me.

Comment

I really wish that Gibson would put the mini-trapezoid inlays back on the Studios...I dug the look of those, it gives it more distiction.

Comment

I prefer the Classics (minus the pickups) over the Studios any day. I´ve spent all year on a Les Paul-hunting rampage, trying out everything I could get my hands on...and the Classics were, in my opinion, heads and tails above the vast majority of Studios regarding quality of craftmanship, playability and unplugged tone. But to each his own, eh? When I set out I figured I´d probably end up with a Studio, but I was sadly enough sorely disappointed by most of them.

This applies only to new ones, though.

Comment

I believe Studios reached their latest peak in 2002, after that the quality started decreasing again. Back in 2002 I played a friend's father's LP Studio Limited Edition in Blue (cool finish by the way), and it felt like a badly painted oval board (and no the finish was intact, the guitar was even mint!), the frets looked like they needed dressing too. I think it was made somewhere in the early nineties, and it had been maintained well and played very very véry little. Not too long after that the local guitar store got new Studios, and because they were so popular among players I knew I decided to try one out. I was immensely suprised, not only was the guitar crafted well, but it played incredible. It was almost like I was holding a different guitar compared to the Blue Studio. It also had those big inlays.

The thing with Classics are that as far as I've tried Classics, they were all similar and the production quality was pretty consistent IMO, consistent but not very good, at least not for the big bucks! That's why I'd pick a Studio over a Classic anyday [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Sorry to resurect an old thread. I have stumbled across a guy needing to sell his 95 Les Paul studio. He installed the Zakk Wylde emgs, still has the original pickups, hard shell case, wine red with gold hardware. He is asking $850. I'm not a Les Paul guy. From what I have read in this thread it seems like $600 to $650 may be a fair price for this guitar. Or is it worth the $850 with the pickup change?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Sorry to resurect an old thread. I have stumbled across a guy needing to sell his 95 Les Paul studio. He installed the Zakk Wylde emgs, still has the original pickups, hard shell case, wine red with gold hardware. He is asking $850. I'm not a Les Paul guy. From what I have read in this thread it seems like $600 to $650 may be a fair price for this guitar. Or is it worth the $850 with the pickup change?

[/ QUOTE ]
                  I'd say that sounds like a decent price if it's in good condition. Maybe see if you can talk him down a little bit, though.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                  X