Gibson Les Paul Voodoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Les Paul Voodoo

Just got this today, didn't know it even existed. Found it while researching the Swamp Ash Studio. This is swamp ash body w/mahogany neck and ebony fingerboard. Looks better in person than the pics, has red highlights in the wood grain. It's supposed to be a little lighter and it does seem to be. Beautiful ebony fingerboard with large frets. Also the neck shape seems less chunky than a normal Paul. It has the hotter 498R/500T pickups. Got mine new for about $300 less than the going rate, $999. Pretty good price for a real USA LP! I recommend checking these out if you are into 'Pauls.

The comments on harmony-central are pretty right on:
    web page

[image][/image]

Re: Gibson Les Paul Voodoo

I could do without that fifth fret inlay on the Voodoo series, but the rest of it looks killer. I've still never seen one in person though... been wanting to see what these were all about. I've seen the Gothics, Standards, Customs, Studios, etc., but never the Voodoo.

Comment

We've had one at the music store where I teach for a long time now. I've played it and it's a great guitar. If it weren't for that damn inlay I would have bought it by now!!

Comment

See, Gibson, it looks cheesy! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The "zebra" pickups are cool though and I don't mind those.

How do you like the tone of that swamp ash body, acoustically, compared to a maple on mahogany or just mahogany Les Paul?

Comment

I'd throw some cream dimarzios in it and rock
          I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

NOTP: What I have to compare it with is a Les Paul Studio Custom Lite (the one with the hollowed out mahogany body section filled with 'south african chromlyte'-basla wood) with translucent blue maple cap, ebony board, same 498R/500T pickups, same black hardware. So other than body woods, everything is the same.

The Custom Lite is a little brighter, not much, but a little. The Voodoo definitely has more bottom end chunk, and the strings each seem to pop out more, like more articulation. The Voodoo definitely wins in this comparison.

Interestingly, the Voodoo is about 1 lb lighter than the Studio Custom Lite (!)

Comment

I quite liked the Voodoo flying V (except the pishy lookin inlay) until i saw some guy from busted or one of those other boy-bands with one.

They shouldn't be allowed V's! Made my heart sink lol.

Comment

How's the finish on the frets? I played a faded SG a few months ago that felt like the frets were just popped into place with no dressing whatsoever--the ends were sharp and hung off the side of the neck, just like you'd expect on the lowest end Korean LTD, and worse than I've seen on most Korean guitars.

I found that very disappointing, since I loved the fret jobs on the Gibsons I owned back in the day--it was the best feature on the guitars.

Comment

Working...
                X