Mexican Fender vs American Squier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexican Fender vs American Squier

Want to know your opinion on Mexican made Fender vs American made Squier by Fender... Wich you think it's best (best built, material and wood quality, electronics...? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Is the Squier prefered because it's made in America? [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Re: Mexican Fender vs American Squier

Squier, as far as I know, is NOT made in America. I'd go with the Mexican Fenders. Their stuff is supposedly quite good for the price.

Comment

I also have no knowledge of any american Squiers. Squier stuff is actually pretty decent for the price, but are geared more toward beginner to intermediate players. The Mexican strats are quite nice, and at around 350 bucks will not break most banks. American Fender stuff is quite nice, but is way over priced, much like Gibson stuff. Fender's newer Korean and Chinese made stuff has been getting some good reviews around here as well. If you are having trouble deciding, just go play a bunch of them at your local dealer without looking at the origin of manufacture-if you find one you really like, then check it out. You might be surprised. Good luck!

Comment

The Mexican made stuff is really pretty darn good. I'm not sure how they're building them these days but I know the necks used to be made in the US and shipped down for finishing. The older Japanese made Squier's are really good - they will easily rival the Mexican made stuff. The current crop of Korean and Chinese mades stuff is hit or miss - some gems and some junk.
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I don't know if you want to consider Japanese Fenders, but most of the MIJ reissue series strats will smoke their Mexican counterparts and give USA Fenders a run for their money. I have a 54 reissue MIJ strat (with fotoflame, no less) that's beat every production USA reissue I've put up against it (of course, I'm biased). I did have an odd MIJ Khaler floyd strat that was less than awe inspiring, however, but if you're after a classic style strat, I'd check them out.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

That Japanese Squier and Fender stuff was awesome. When I first started working at Guitar Center, we got in a used 60s reissue Japanese Squier Strat, creme white, that was just awesome. I've never seriously considered buying a classic Strat-style guitar until I played that one, and I haven't since.

Comment

Careful there. I've had 6 newer Japanese Fenders over the last couple years. I have not kept any of them. The electronics were junk. The pickups all sucked. The pots all sucked. The necks were great - I kept one neck for a parts guitar. If you get a higher end Japanese Fender then you're doing ok but that will cost you a fair amount of money as well. I have played a fair number of older Japanese Fenders and they were much better guitars.

- Newc

Comment

I had a Telecaster Celtic which was made in Korea. it was a kick ass guitar. neck through one hum... i miss it [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Tim, I should've mentioned, this one was from the 80s. We just got a 50s style Fender from the 80s too that is Japanese and it is killer as well.

Comment

Thanks my people. I own a Mexican Fender but, planing to buy another strat as good as mine. I just want not to hurt my pocket, my budget it's a little tight. Thanks to you I know wich can be consider. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

The Mexico stuff begeins life in the Corona alongside the USA guitars. The roughed out bodies and necks are sent to Mexico for completion, The biggest sacrifices is in the parts. They use alot of Ping hardware. All is upgradeable. I have upgraded a few and they are great guitars. I am doing this to my cousins Mexican tele and I can't wait to see how it come out.

Comment

Ping hardware...? You mean wires, pick-ups, pots, tuning machines, trems...? Do the Mexican, or Mexican assembled necks and bodies rules like USA ones, or the Mexican necks and bodies are really made in Mexico?

Comment

They are rough cut in the USA and sent for final shaping and completetion down in Mexico.

Ping makes the tuners and bridges. They look similar to USA parts, but are very different in construction.

Comment

Jim - I believe the h/w and electronics from the Classic series guitars is the same grade as USA except for the tuners. My 50's Classic Tele had CTS pots, USA bridge, and awesome pickups.

I haven't opened up my '72 Custom yet to check the pots but I know the tuners are Schallers and the bridge is USA - and the neck humbucker on this thing is smokin'.

The Fender Classic series guitars are all top notch.

http://www.fender.com/products/show....cseriesguitars

- Newc

Comment

ggahhh this thread is giving me G.A.S

i want a tele soooo badly

Comment

Working...
                              X