Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most stupid ideas to wrought upon guitar history..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most stupid ideas to wrought upon guitar histo

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    7. Antigua finishes

[/ QUOTE ]

That hurt. Sniff.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's an antigua finish Tele on ebay that Is so ugly it's actually kinda cool [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

I always liked the Antigua finish, as well as the Washburn Wonderbar trem. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Though, I oddly never cared for Kahler. I kinda wish I'd picked up the old white Washburn Tele with that WB trem in the '80s instead of my Kramer that had the Original Floyd II single-locking trem. It actually stayed in tune okay, but nothing compared to a double-locking Floyd.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My List

My list, subject to revision:

1. Plywood or particle board bodies.
        2. "Copycat" guitars (Fender/Gibson ripoffs, etc...).
        3. Artist signature models.
        4. 7-string guitars (I still say they're an abomination).
        5. Pick guards.
        6. Cheapie Floyd Rose copies that won't stay in tune.
        7. "Foto Finish"
        8. "Artificially aged" finishes.
        9. "Starter" packs.
        10. I'll get back with you.
        Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I hope none of my gear reads this thread. My gear is not feeling the love today [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

So the specs for the ultimate worst guitar built from the ideas in this thread would be:
            <ul type="square">[*]a cheap copy of Kahler's interpretation of a Speedloader[*]single coil in the bridge[*]81 in the neck[*]middle pickup can be anything - this guitar sucks so it doesn't matter[*]3-mini toggle pickup selectors[*]the body will be a carved devil lady in a warrior shape[*]a transparent antigua burst crackle finish over foto-flame[*]reliced body[*]vintage frets[*]Rickenbacker scale/size[*]built by Daisy Rock[*]36 frets[*]aluminum neck[*]built-in whammy pedal[/list]

- Newc

Comment

Ken it's not that I don't recognize Rickenbacker's influence...I even like how they sound, it's just that those necks feel AWFUL to me. I can't conceive how anyone can play one.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]
                7. Antigua finishes

[/ QUOTE ]

That hurt. Sniff.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't personal, just my feelings. It is all opinions flying around here. I personally dig the three mini toggles, but I know I wouldn't want them on a Stratocaster.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]
                  7. Antigua finishes

[/ QUOTE ]

That hurt. Sniff.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't personal, just my feelings. It is all opinions flying around here. I personally dig the three mini toggles, but I know I wouldn't want them on a Stratocaster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim, I didn't take it personally. I got a year old Antigua Tele when I was in high school and thought it was ugly as hell but it was more affordable than any other Fender Tele at the time for obvious reasons. I gladly endured all of the pukeburst and avocado comments because that was a kickass guitar. Wish I still had it.

- Newc

Comment

why did this thread turn from stupidest ideas to stuff you don't like?

Comment

The WORST one of all.....Truss adjustment at the heel!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

I have to go with the JT-6 and Grover's decision to effectively sell Charvel out in the mid 80s.

BTW: Kalhers fukin rock and if I actually ever bought a HSS guitar agian (which I will probably never do) it would have the 3 switches like a soloist i used to have!
                        "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

-ANY tremolo bridge system.
                          -Tone controls (WTF!?)
                          -Mini Toggles (at least the ones that break so damn easily)
                          -7 string, 8 string, and 9 string guitars.
                          -Pink guitars
                          -Rotary Switches
                          -The Monkey Grip
                          -Jackson and Ibanez hockey stick headstocks
                          -The 11 string bass
                          -The 9 string Bass
                          -The 8 string bass
                          -The 7 string Bass
                          -Ibanez basses

Comment

Oh yeah, and jemsite.com

Comment

1. Acoustic Guitar bridges (no intonation adjustment, no action adjustment, and those damn pins!)

2. Strap Buttons. (non-locking) (just imagine all the guitars that have been destroyed by gravity and the devilish antics of these mis-designed little buggers!)

3. "Grunge" music [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

4. Daisy Rock Guitars. ( "Guitars For GIRLS?!" since when were guitars just for the little Boys? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Not to mention that they are even worse quality than squiers...)

5. Heel Truss Rod adjustments

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                [ QUOTE ]
                                [ QUOTE ]
                                and the worst thing of all....Guitars with 3 mini toggles for pickup selection.

[/ QUOTE ]The 3 on/off mini toggles rock!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I got a H/S/S Dinky body last year that I'm having refinned. It had a five-way switch slot that's being filled in and the 3 mini toggles are being put in. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] When I had my Model 6, I really loved that feature.

[/ QUOTE ]It is a royal pain in the butt to switch from neck to bridge when you are playing live and I would guess that the majority of lead players switch from bridge to neck on a regular basis.... at least I do.

[/ QUOTE ]If you can do the basic Page-style fingerpick with a flat pick in hand, you can flip one switch off while switching the other on. If you can't do that, switch the neck pickup on, then the bridge pickup off between notes. It's not that hard if you like 'em and adapt, just like anything else we adapt to in playing. But then I also like both Wonderbars AND Kahlers, a well as Floyds, and single-locking trems don't bother me that much either. The first several years I was playing there WAS no Floyd Rose, you lubed the nut and pulled the bar after diving to get it back to zero. I have a Yamaha RGZ211M with a single-locking trem, not the best trem around but I can keep it in tune pretty well. Then too, if it goes out, that's what spares are for! Bring 4 or 5 with you to the gig and you're good!
                                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X