ibanez voyager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ibanez voyager

Does anybody know about the ibanez Reb Beach models. There is one at a local pawn shop That is wood grain colored no pick guard, and the rest of the controls are the same, except MAYBE the pickups. They want $600.00 for it and don't know if it is worth it but it looks awesome, so if anybody knows anything please enlighten me. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Re: ibanez voyager

Get the serial number. $600 is high for anything other than the RBM2, very high for anything below the RBM1. If it is an RBM2, though, get it and I'll buy it from you. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

well I did some more digging on the net and it seems to have a koa top, but I'm a little confused as all the koa's that I find have emg's but this doesn't. As far as serial numbers what am I looking for, I will pay a little over the top (not much) because just to look at it is heart stopping, and I didn't even like the design when I seen them in the magazines in the early '90's. Thank you for the reply.

Comment

Does it come with EMGs?
        How about the neck?
        Regular model caem with Maple neck with Rosewood but the ones with EMGs came with expensive neck wood... don't remember what.
        Pau ferro?

Comment

Yeah, pau ferro necks on the good ones. He said it doesn't have EMGs though.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Well the one's on the net look like they have the exposed magnets but the owners say they are emg's, so maybe they are a different version then the 81's/89's that I'm used too. Maybe I should have looked closer. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Comment

I have a black RBM1 bought new w/case for $750. $600 sounds high for anything other than an RBM2. I never got into the rosewood fingerboard on this, so I swapped it for a Custom Shop Ebony with jagged tooth inlay and binding. Much better playing and looking now!

From the catalogs, the Koa top ones (RMB2 & RBM400) always had the pickguard. So either they took it off the one you are looking at, or someone took an early RBM1 and sanded the paint off.
              1991 catalog
              1993 catalog
              1994 catalog

Comment

yeah I looked at the catalogs from the jemsite and nothing is making sense, If I could get a hint at a serial # that would be great. Mountain dog I don't think the finish has been sanded off, it looks way to "natural" for that, but how does the rb1 play? I will find the serial # tomorrow and let ya know what it is.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  As far as serial numbers what am I looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look for it to start with the letter "F"... If it doesn't, pass. Look at the neck wood, too. The RBM2 (MIJ) and 400 (MIK) had a Bolivian RW (pao ferro) neck and board, while the RBM1 (MIJ) and 10 (MIK) had maple + rw, as others have said. The 400 had Ibz brand pickups, two hotrails-style singles and a full hum. The RBM had EMGs. I think it's possible to take the cover off of EMGs, but I've never known anyone to do it.

Comment

I found this on ibanezcollectors.com
                    "RBM 1s and RBM 2s and MAYBE the RBM 400s are all from Japan. The rest are Korean. The easiest to tell if you don't know the model number is by serial number - the Japanese ones start with an "F", the Korean ones with a "C". The serial number is absolutely acurate. Other hints: the Japanese RBMs have Low Pro Edge trems. The Koreans have Lo TRS II trems (except the RBM 400 - see above). The Japanese have EMG or SB1 and HB2 pups. The Korean ones have SB10(?) and HB20(?) or some other crap pickups (can't remember the others)... I don't think any of the Japanese ones (with the possible exception of the RBM400) said "RBM Series" on the headstock, either."

Comment

thanks for the info. I will let you know what I find tomorrow. As far as the pick-ups the only thing I really noticed was the magnets, and no ibz markings like on most ibanez's, so I guess I will take a closer look.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        The easiest to tell if you don't know the model number is by serial number - the Japanese ones start with an "F", the Korean ones with a "C".

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a general rule for almost all modern Ibanez ('87 onward). Some may start with "S". "C" means built by Cort, "S" means Samick. You might even see "W", for World. Not as common, though.

Comment

If it's a RBM2 buy it, then email me with pics.

Comment

well I went back and found it is rbm1 made in japan. I still want it but $600.00 seems pretty steep, but if somebody here knows better then me let it fly. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              well I went back and found it is rbm1 made in japan. I still want it but $600.00 seems pretty steep, but if somebody here knows better then me let it fly. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

$600 is very steep. Offer $350 cash, because it's been stripped. If they say no, leave, come back in a month and offer them $325. Repeat as necessary. They're not going to move it at anything even close to $600 unless an absolute sucker walks in.

Comment

Working...
                              X