X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line 6 Variax ACOUSTIC?

Check it out:

http://line6.com/VariaxAcoustic/

Anybody tried one of these yet? Wonder if I had a mad Dr Newcenstein moment and ripped out the Variax Acoustic guts to slap into my Taylor guitar... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: Line 6 Variax ACOUSTIC?

They're pretty cool. The sounds aren't super authentic, but that's offset a bit by the extreme versatility. The ability to use alternate tunings on the fly is my favorite feature. I'm not really an acoustic player or I'd buy one--I've been having fun playing the one they have at the local guitar shop. The sounds are still pretty "piezo"-ish, but pretty solid overall.

Comment

See, the thing I don't get is how can you play in alternate tunings while the strings themselves are tuned to A440. If you're playing through your amp quietly enough so that you can still hear the acoustic guitar itself, wouldn't you hear the horrible "beats" created by the differing wavelengths flying through the air?

Comment

NOTP, it's not an acoustic guitar. It is a solid body. So as long as you are playing louder than a solid body you won't hear it. I tried them out a few times - I really wanted to like it (I have a couple Variax's). It sounded ok but the playability was like a cheap import acoustic - not worth it for me.
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Ohhh, damn, that's a huge mistake, thinking it was a hollowbodied acoustic. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Oooooops!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hmmm, there are no pictures of the back of the guitar. Is there a route with a similar shape as the other Variaxes? If so, you could probably put the guts into the Warmoth Variax bodies... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Getting crazy ideas again... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I was JUST reading about these.. man.. where was it?? Could have been the GuitarOne mag with Mustaine on the cover... I think?

I gotta find that article- it was pretty good.
            Yeah, I know, absolutely no help here am I? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I dunno, I saw a full-page ad for it in some guitar magazine, the one with the Green Day dude on the cover. Then the mad Dr Newcenstein ideas started floating around in my mind... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Okay, found the article. It's in the Nov. issue of Guitar One (with Mustaine on the cover) page 69.
                It IS an acoustic guitar- well.. sorta. Not a true acoustic in my opinion. If it has effects, it aint acoustic, baby! It's solid mahogany with a cedar top and sound hole. Comes strung with phospor/bronze strings and get this.... comes with a CUSTOM gig bag!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Have you seen the price of this thing?
                I would like to give one a whirl, definitely. 'Course I have to drive for EONS to get to a store that would even carry one. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

The price on the Line 6 website is something like $1,600 or around there. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X