Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ESP Eclipse (Les Paul style) thread!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ESP Eclipse (Les Paul style) thread!!!

Tell me all you know about the ESP Eclipse, general impressions and whatnot, maybe pointing me to the "favorites". I prefer four control knobs but 22 VS 24 frets is no issue to me. I'd also prefer set-neck or neckthrough but would not really mind a bolt-on. Pickups and electronics are no issue because I'll be ideally putting EMG-89s, EMG-SPC, and EMG-EXG in there. Give me price ranges. The real ESP versions don't exist around here and I've only ever seen one or two LTD versions. As for cosmetics, I love gloss black and neck/body/headstock binding if possible. Talk about neck profiles, fret size, and especially upper fret access. Compare them to any Gibson Les Paul if you want because I have access to those and can sort of approximate what an ESP Eclipse could be like compared to a Gibson Les Paul that I can actually try out. And post pictures, LOTS OF THEM if you can!!!

Yes, I've done a search and didn't learn much about the ESP Eclipses. This should be a very handy info-gathering post for me (and for those who might also have GAS).

This should be an interesting thread. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also greatly prefer short scale, 24.75", as opposed to 25.5". Thanks!

EDIT #2: As close to mint condition as possible, thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: The ESP Eclipse (Les Paul style) thread!!!

Here's a gloss black LTD for starters

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...69441&rd=1

Or...you could just go to ESP's site and learn all about 'em
    http://espguitars.com/esp_standard.htm

Comment

Yes Ken, I did look at ESP's site but I presume there were different variants over the course of time? Ya know, that sort of thing. Just trying to gather as much info as I can. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] And I blame you for sparking my interest in these. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Not that I am claiming responsibility for turning you over to the "enemy" of course...LOL! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Also...I've never owned one of these, so I couldn't tell you about their differences and such. Although, I may own one someday. I've owned a few ESPee's in the past, including a waaaaaayyyy pre-Hetfield Explorer that I wish I still had, cuz after Hetfield cause a buying frenzy of ESP Explorers, I would've made a mint on selling it!

Comment

Enemy? Psshhhh!! Nahh. I've never even played a real ESP before. Played a few LTDs, those seemed decent. I'm not too much of a brand-loyal person anyway. The most amount of guitars I've owned by one company is two Jacksons, a Kelly and a Soloist. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And plus, those ESP Eclipses are frickin' GORGEOUS. Oh man. [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

I have an Eclipse CTM I that I purchased new in the summer and it is an incredible guitar. This one has the EMG 81/60 combo, sperzel locking tuners and white binding with gold hardware. It is a beautiful guitar that sounds phenomenal.

Comment

LTD EC-300P. Gotta love stacked P-90s and metallic gold finishes! Very nice Korean made guitar, set it up in standard tuning with 11-48s. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] This is a short-scale, all mahogany model that they discontinued; though, they still make the regular EC-300 with EMGs. Guess the P-90 models didn't sell so well. I bought this from Frankencat a few weeks ago. They're supposed to come with V/V/T, but someone changed the wiring the V/T/T which I kinda prefer on this.

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Dude, I have the hookup on Eclipse II's, gonna order one Monday for myself. I played one and was hooked. Not the LTD crap, but made in Japan and absolutely incredible.

PM me, and I will fill you in.
                Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

I have a trans red (black cherry?) 22 fret fixed neck Eclipse Std (or something like that) with 2 EMG 81s and locking sperzels and it's a great guitar. Plays so easily and doesn't kill your back like an LP. It also changed my mind on EMG 81s (in neck thrus at least!) The store I bought it from still had it on their site (not linked) so I'll see if I can magic that link up....
                  Cheers
                  Ian
                  Popular is not the same as good
                  Rare is not the same as valuable
                  Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

It that what you mean neil?
                    93 USA Soloist EDS
                    USA HT6 Juggernaut
                    Charvel DK24FR

Comment

the LTD's aren't really crap by any means, but espguitars.net, and go to export models will show you the evolution of the Eclipses (which they apparently sell in other countries Other than the US).

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        the LTD's aren't really crap by any means, but espguitars.net, and go to export models will show you the evolution of the Eclipses (which they apparently sell in other countries Other than the US).

[/ QUOTE ]
                        The original Eclipse model was actually a Telecaster shape, and Scott Ian used to endorse them in the '80s. There's one sitting in a local GC here that they wanted $1400 for the longest time, I think it's down to about $800 now. I really never figured out why they changed the Tele shape to an LP and still kept the Eclipse name. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

yeah, toe's right, i heard that bit before about the tele shape, thats interesting...(anyone got pics?).

Comment

Hmmm, now I see Chuck's selling his GMP Pawnshop... maybe I should buy that and save me some dough. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Shawn, PM coming your way just to check things out.

Comment

The new Eclipse II's are nice guitars and good quality. The body is slightly thinner than a LP and the neck is more like Gibson's LP Classic '60s slim taper. Also the tops are laminate, not solid maple, which is somewhat of a turn-off for me. Otherwise they are pretty nice axes.

Comment

Working...
                              X