string thru the body fender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• string thru the body fender

anyone know anything about string thru fenders? the one i just bought has a natural fin with string thru body.
    headstock says fender and right under that says made in usa with sn under that.
    i am thinking it is a parts mutt but i really know nothing about fender guitars and cant find anything about string thru's.

Re: string thru the body fender

You talkin hardtail? They're common. I have one.

Comment

Yep, hardtail bridges are common on Fenders. Here's mine.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yes, hardtails are very common, natural fins I've never seen on anything except Ash or other amazingly figured bodies (Alder doesn't seem very appealing in grain, except for trans colored finishes). Maybe it's a refin, I can't really make up what you're trying to find out about your axe

I'd be glad to help though, since I've owned several new and old (USA) Fenders

Comment

thanks guys. yea i would say its a hard tail then.
          what makes me wonder about the orginality of the axe is the string thru part is drilled crooked. lay a straight edge on the 1st hole and as you move to the last hole it gets further away from the straight edge.
          also the made in usa words on the headstock is not straight like the rest. the entire lay out of the logo and sn just looks like it was done by a drunk driver. taken in parts its straight, Fender logo is correct size, made in usa part looks to be lighter and crooked.
          makes me think someone sanded down parts of the head stock and added the "made in usa"
          i will try to run by my shop and pick it up so i can snap a couple o pix of it later today.

Comment

ok i snapped a few pix so over look the fact that i had to use my web cam and quality is not so great but hope this helps.

Comment

Wow, those ferrule holes do look fukked up. It looks like a very nice guitar, though. Very nice looking grain. Maybe PM Jim Shine and see if he can help you if he doesn't see this.

Comment

Uh, cool guitar, but I think there's some monkey biz going on with this one....Fender - no matter how F'd up they can be - would never put out a drilled body like that...it doesn't even look like there's string ferrules in there, just holes drilled through the wood....the logo is suspect too.

Bottom line - does it play nice? If so, hang on to it and play it and chalk it up to a braindead scammer. Cool guitar though.

Steve E

Comment

thanks guys, the guitar needed a good cleaning and the 5-way is stuck on the bridge pup and the volume knob is stuck all the way up so i will be doing some work on that stuff. which will be simple fixes, and if the other pups dont work i happen to have a set of lace sensor pups on hand that will go in it anyway. as for the neck it is dead straight as an arrow. frets could use some work tho.
                  other than the string holes it is in great shape and i like the natural finish and wood grain alot so i will prolly keep it as a player, even if i have to replace the neck with a real fender neck (if the one on it is not real fender that is) i dont really care if it is mia or mim or mij as long as it has real fender parts [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

side note here: i posted a question on the fender discussion page like this one here today and tonite the thread i started there is gone (not moved but gone,deleted not to be found) and my account has been suspended. go figure.

Comment

Yes, I know the feeling. I stopped posting there long ago because I got tired of the BS. Lots of nice guys and good info there but the admin guy has some issues. Posts get deleted all the time for no apparent reason. Say something bad about fender and youre gone.

Comment

Atleast part of if not all of the decal is fake.

Comment

That is a Korean made Squire serial Number. The only MIA Strats since the American Standard came out that use those string trees are the reissues and the out of production California series IIRC.

Comment

thanks for the info guys, seems i have yet another fake off the market,with the circumstances involved in this guitar coming into my posession i expected as much.

Comment

Well, it looks cool. If it plays and stays in tune well, just play the hell out of it and think of it as a good beater guitar you won't have to worry about. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

toejam, actually an idea for woodburning some killer designs on it is starting to take shape in my wicked little brain. have ta kick that around a while and see if anything comes of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X