Empire guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Empire guitars

Is it just me, or is the binding too much? I don't even mind the headstock. I think it looks pretty cool. I don't agree with binding being standard, but that's just me. Don't get me wrong, I still like a lot of guitars I see. I think I look at them every day. Especially this one.

http://www.gmwguitars.com/empire/emp018.JPG

Re: Empire guitars

Here is the new one Lee built.
    I got these pics recently from him.
    According to Lee, the neck is Solid pau ferro,the body is solid mahogany and the top is figured lace sheoak, which is
    pretty rare.

Comment

That one looks good. How much did he say that is?

Comment

I will send you the price by PM.
        [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I've seen the neck of that guitar in person. I thought the neck was snake wood or something like that.

Comment

Snakewood is the fingerboard.

Comment

It is a good looking guitar.

Comment

That is the one, Snakewood finger board. That is what Lee seemed most impressed with. Snakewood apparently is piss rare.

Comment

How does it sound? I don't care how rare any wood is. It needs to sound good. I wouldn't care if it's fukking plywood as long as it sounds good.

Comment

Empire Guitars play like a dream. Super low action. Perfect fit and finish.

Comment

i agree, the only thing i'm not crazy about the Empire guitars is that thick shell purfling/ binding.

i prefer the thinner stripes that Ron Thorn uses on his line guitars( got 2 of them )..only 1/16" wide and much more subtle.. ( i'm not sure if he still does but Ron use to do all the inlay work for Empire guitars.. wonder if they would do one with the thinner purfling??

Comment

Lee told me he stopped using Ron because he was to backed up with work and couldn't wait that long. Actually he just got my Beast back from the inlay people last week. They did the abalone binding and purfling for him because I sent shell blanks instead of purfling strips. He said he may have a pic out to me of it this week. So I guess I'll see soon what it looks like.
                        We must!
                        We must!
                        We must increase the bust!
                        The bigger the better!
                        The tighter the sweater!
                        The boys are counting on us!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Lee told me he stopped using Ron because he was to backed up with work and couldn't wait that long. Actually he just got my Beast back from the inlay people last week. They did the abalone binding and purfling for him because I sent shell blanks instead of purfling strips. He said he may have a pic out to me of it this week. So I guess I'll see soon what it looks like.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could be right can't say for sure, but the paua purling on my thorn is pretty thin ( almost to the point where you don't notice it..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/MOJO1/048_9.jpg

everything else you see around the edge is just the natural unstained wood binding

here's a shot of how small the purfling channel is before it is installed

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/MOJO1/048-5.jpg

Comment

Now that's a nice piece of wood.

Comment

Wow that is thin. That must be a bitch to cut. Do you know if he used straight blanks or preformed strips? He'd still have to cut the strips thinner for that even if it was strips. The guy definitely does nice work. Probably the best in the business. I know he did that Medusa Empire for Lee. And that looks killer.
                              We must!
                              We must!
                              We must increase the bust!
                              The bigger the better!
                              The tighter the sweater!
                              The boys are counting on us!

Comment

Working...
                              X