Seven string Recomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seven string Recomendations

I've been playing alot of B tuned stuff lately on my v and i'm thinking of trading it in for a seven string. or saving up for a seven stringer. Any reccomendations ?

Re: Seven string Recomendations

people like carvin. other than that, i think schector's black jack 7's are getting good reviews. and i hear mixed stuff about ibanez.

Comment

I have a Universe. Plays great. I hate the sound. (it could be just me) I've never played a Carvin 7. I've played some other Carvins in the past and they are great. Check out the Music Man Petrucci 7 string model. I've heard some good things about that.

Comment

If you want to go cheap, but good, try a Peavey. I just bought a N.O.S. Peavey Predator TR7. I had WD make me a nice white pearl pickguard, ripped out the crap electronics, and I put some DiMarzio Blaze pickup's, American pots, switch and wiring in her. Not bad. The original pickups actually were pretty decent, but, I wanted a change. It's got a Black metallic finish, that has the "sparkles" in Gold instead of the usual silver. It's Korean, but not bad. The guitar was $250 (new) and I put another $200 into it. The workmanship is good, but the licensed Floyd 7 is kind of cheesy. This is what I have found on any foreign made guitar. The hardware is no where as good as "Made In the USA".
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Next guitar I order (when I'm done being poor and can afford stuff again) will be a Carvin. You get to pick your neck and body woods (alder, maple, mahogany, koa, swamp ash), fingerboard woods (rosewood, ebony, maple), different pickup and wiring configurations, color (they'll do ANY color as long as it's something they can mix from their existing colors in stock). I kinda miss my Ibanez RG7620 and want a 7-string again bad, though Carvin is the obvious choice now since I already own an SC90. I also had a DC400 and a DC120 12-string, so I know they're great quality. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Oh, Yea and I forgot, the Jackson Custom Shop can build you one if you want to go that way. I'm starting out cheap first to see if I like it, then a Jackson it is. Check out www.rustycooley.com. Rusty mostly plays his Jackson 7 string and the "new" Conklin 8 string. [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I have a carvin 7 string w/ EMG 707's. It is a fantastic guitar. I love it! Sadly, I will be having to sell it shortly since I need funds for other projects. Go Carvin, you won't regret it.

Comment

I've made a deal with myself to NEVER sell anything again. I've lost too much stuff I wish I still had. So what do I do? Trade in. I'm so fukkin' stupid! Don't get rid of it. Can we see a pic first? If it's ugly, you can sell it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

There is a beautiful Carvin 747 on Ebay right now. It's very tempting.

PaddoK - let's see your Carvin. Which model is it?
                  I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

BTW, the last Carvin guitar I played I remember it having a chunkier neck than an Ibanez. I believe this will be a good thing for a 7-string believe it or not. I found that the thin neck of my Universe would cause my hand to cramp up some. I've played a few other 7's over the years and the only one I was very comfortable with was a Dean EVO that was sort of LP shaped. It had a chunkier neck and felt great. When I say chunkier here I'm not talking baseball bat like an early 50's Les Paul [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] - just a bit more girth than a typical shredder neck.
                    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

My Ibanez RG1527 is very playable. I'm still trying to tailor my sound with it, though. The stock pickups aren't the greatest (Ibanez V7-V8) and I'm not too sure I'm 100% happy with the Custom/Jazz set that's in there now. I'm thinking about a Distortion for the bridge (go figure).

Anyway, I'd give the Ibanez 7s a shot if you can find one. The RG7620s go for about $300 all day and they're great guitars. Then, if you decide you like the 7 string a lot, you could go higher end like a Petrucci, Universe, or Jackson Custom Shop.

Comment

I'd say that a used Ibanez 7620 is the best option if you are not looking to spend a lot of money. You can get them for $400 or under (I got mine for way under that), and they have good pickups and the only decent 7-string trem out there, apart from the very rare 7-string Original Floyd Rose (which I've never even seen in person). The 1527 is Ibanez's current version of the old 7620. It probably has a nicer neck, but the pickups and the new trem design that Ibanez uses are lower quality than what you get on the 7620--not to mention that you'd be paying more to get a new guitar. Everything else out there on the low end is Korean-made with crappy trems and pickups, and usually mediocre fit and finish. If you don't want a trem, you can get the fixed bridge Ibanez 7621 or 7421 even cheaper on eBay than the 7620.

Next step up from that would be a Carvin 727 or 747. They use the crappy Takeuchi 7-string Floyd copy (really the only choice for them, since the 7-string OFR is hard to get), but there are fixed bridge models, as well. I'm not a big fan of recent Carvins, personally, but others think they are great.

Above that in price you would be getting into a used Ibanez Universe, which is a very nice guitar, in my opinion, but overpriced, since it isn't that much better than a 7620, even though it *is* definitely the better guitar.

From there you are looking at either new Universes or the Ernie Ball Petrucci model and big $$$, unless you want to go whole hog into a custom shop guitar, which is more like $$$$$. And since you've never tried a 7-string, you're probably better off getting a low-cost one as an addition to your current guitar, to see which one you really prefer. Some folks find the added string more of a nuisance than a boon to their playing.

Comment

After I get my next Carvin in a couple weeks then my next project is to save up for a Carvin 7. Carvins are addictive, I started the year with non and in a couple weeks I'll be up to 3!
                          I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

here's another one that specializes in building 7 Strings
                            nice guy too...

http://www.jimsoloway.com/

Comment

Alot of people seem to over look Washburn 7 strings. Carvins and Ibanez are pretty cool 7 strings. I've played Ibanez 7 strings, didn't like them that much. I've always wanted to try out a Carvin but England doesn't get many carvins. I've posted this picture many times before. Here's my Washburn WG587V.

93 USA Soloist EDS
                              USA HT6 Juggernaut
                              Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Working...
                              X