Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seven string Recomendations

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh, Yea and I forgot, the Jackson Custom Shop can build you one if you want to go that way. I'm starting out cheap first to see if I like it, then a Jackson it is. Check out www.rustycooley.com. Rusty mostly plays his Jackson 7 string and the "new" Conklin 8 string. [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are several forum members with CS 7 strings. If you're not sure you want to play 7, though, that's a really bad place to start - they're damn expensive.

You can buy Schecters and Dean EVOs all day on eBay for $450 or less, and they're very good quality guitars. Change the pickups, and you're in business.

If you're looking for a V, it's a Jackson RR7 (Japanese), or one of the Epiphones, which aren't too bad but usually go for more than I'd like to pay for a decent quality guitar. The Schecter C7, C7 +, 007, and Blackjack C7 all get pretty good marks. The Blackjack has the extended scale.

The LTDs seem to go for more than they're worth, IMO - the thru-necks regularly go for more than $600 - although the H207s can go pretty cheap. They tend to be hit or miss, though - I have a pretty good one, but I've seen some bad ones.

When they come up, the Washburn Sonic 7s are excellent - the quality on mine is every bit as good as my CS Soloist 7. Their WG series are apparently pretty good, too, and they regularly go cheap.

All of the Korean guitars will need their pickups replaced, IMO - the Duncan Designed, cheap Ibenhad, and even the Dean pickups - the best of the lot - all sound like total mud. The Japanese Ibanez pickups (the new "Prestige" line) are OK - at least I thought the one I plaed was.

I wouldn't recommmend any of the Korean Ibanez guitars, personally - I dislike them. The K7, UV, and Prestige guitars are pretty nice - and the K7 actually sounds pretty good, thanks to the mahogany body - but they're over priced, IMO.

The one Carvin I played was pretty nice, but the pickups didn't impress me. It played very nice, though.

Mike
    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      [ QUOTE ]
      Oh, Yea and I forgot, the Jackson Custom Shop can build you one if you want to go that way. I'm starting out cheap first to see if I like it, then a Jackson it is. Check out www.rustycooley.com. Rusty mostly plays his Jackson 7 string and the "new" Conklin 8 string. [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are several forum members with CS 7 strings. If you're not sure you want to play 7, though, that's a really bad place to start - they're damn expensive.

You can buy Schecters and Dean EVOs all day on eBay for $450 or less, and they're very good quality guitars. Change the pickups, and you're in business.

If you're looking for a V, it's a Jackson RR7 (Japanese), or one of the Epiphones, which aren't too bad but usually go for more than I'd like to pay for a decent quality guitar. The Schecter C7, C7 +, 007, and Blackjack C7 all get pretty good marks. The Blackjack has the extended scale.

The LTDs seem to go for more than they're worth, IMO - the thru-necks regularly go for more than $600 - although the H207s can go pretty cheap. They tend to be hit or miss, though - I have a pretty good one, but I've seen some bad ones.

When they come up, the Washburn Sonic 7s are excellent - the quality on mine is every bit as good as my CS Soloist 7. Their WG series are apparently pretty good, too, and they regularly go cheap.

All of the Korean guitars will need their pickups replaced, IMO - the Duncan Designed, cheap Ibenhad, and even the Dean pickups - the best of the lot - all sound like total mud. The Japanese Ibanez pickups (the new "Prestige" line) are OK - at least I thought the one I plaed was.

I wouldn't recommmend any of the Korean Ibanez guitars, personally - I dislike them. The K7, UV, and Prestige guitars are pretty nice - and the K7 actually sounds pretty good, thanks to the mahogany body - but they're over priced, IMO.

The one Carvin I played was pretty nice, but the pickups didn't impress me. It played very nice, though.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you post a picture up of your Jackson 7 string?
      93 USA Soloist EDS
      USA HT6 Juggernaut
      Charvel DK24FR

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        BTW, the last Carvin guitar I played I remember it having a chunkier neck than an Ibanez. I believe this will be a good thing for a 7-string believe it or not. I found that the thin neck of my Universe would cause my hand to cramp up some. I've played a few other 7's over the years and the only one I was very comfortable with was a Dean EVO that was sort of LP shaped. It had a chunkier neck and felt great. When I say chunkier here I'm not talking baseball bat like an early 50's Les Paul [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] - just a bit more girth than a typical shredder neck.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point, too - I find my hand tires on the super-thin necks, too. (The thinnest neck of my 3 is the LTD, and it's still much larger than an Ibanez.) I've found I have much less fatigue with the chunkier necks.

Mike

Comment

Pics are in this thread.

You can see Matt's Rhoads CS, too.

Mike

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            This is a good point, too - I find my hand tires on the super-thin necks, too. (The thinnest neck of my 3 is the LTD, and it's still much larger than an Ibanez.) I've found I have much less fatigue with the chunkier necks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, I'm exactly the opposite. I can deal with chunky 6-string necks, but big 7-string necks drive me crazy. On such necks, I have a more difficult time bending strings and exercising precise control during fast runs, since I don't get as much of my fingers actually over the fretboard and can't 'push off' at the best angle to do bends.

I actually don't think the Ibanez Wizard-7 neck is all that thin--certainly not nearly as thin as the 6-string Wizard neck. Check out a Conklin GTG-7 if you want to see a truly thin 7-string neck. That one's almost too thin even for me.

Comment

Is that a 7 string Star in the background?
              93 USA Soloist EDS
              USA HT6 Juggernaut
              Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Pretty cool huh?
                93 USA Soloist EDS
                USA HT6 Juggernaut
                Charvel DK24FR

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Is that a 7 string Star in the background?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's a 7 string pointy Star, a la the famous King Kobra guitar. Matt's GAS knows few bounds.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Pretty cool huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

The girl who runs that website and snaps all the photos for it is a good online friend of mine. I also linked her site in the Dimmu Borgir thread. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] But for some reason I cannot find her "Top 10 pics" section... some of those photos were incredible.

Comment

I've owned 2 7 strings.

1. Ibanez RG7420-I loved this guitar. It was built solid and had the most killer tone of all the 7 strings I've played or owned so far.

2. Schecter V-7M-This one was an odd ball. It had an HSS pup config and a maple board. The maple board brightened it up so the low B was audible. I had mine tuned down to A and it sung like a bird.

3. Squire Strat 7- I know this wouldn't be something most would be after, but the one I played felt better than the Ibanez and the Schecter I had. I don't know what it was, but it sounded and felt great and was built well. If your not sure about a 7 string and want an entry level axe, this one is about as good as it gets.

4. Ibanez 7620- I played the hell out of one of these and compared to a 7420 there wasn't much difference. It was a good guitar, but not worth more than a 7420 to me. My 7420 played alot better IMHO.

I have never played a Carvin 7 so I can't honestly comment on one, but Carvin does make one hell of an axe. I played a kick ass 89 double neck and one just Craig Chaquico from Jefferson Starship with the one humbucker and another one like the guys from Warrant played with the one humbucker as well as many others including basses and they rocked. Carvin would be the way to go, but an expensive lesson learned if you suddenly decide you don't like 7 strings. I found a 7 string versitile when tuned down to A. I could play Korn, Motley Crue, Slayer and a host of other covers that are played in D. I play a very wide variety of music. I'm an old 80's metal head and into the nu-stuff too. I'm buying another 7 and it's going to be the Prestige Ibanez version that they have now. I got to play one and it is very nice. I have also played a K-7 and it's price is way out of my league, but if I could spare that kind of money I would have owned one when it came out.

Bottom line: Go play some and make up your mind there. Neck profiles and widths vary and could make or break your decision to buy a 7 string.

Happy hunting.
                      Sarj

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Pretty cool huh?

[/ QUOTE ]
                        That would be my choice for a 7string guitar if I were to order one.... I am thinking now.. maybe with a neck hum and mahogany body and neck. Killer guitar BTW!
                        [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

There are supposed to be some Christian Olde Wolbers (fear factory)USA 7 string sig models coming from Jackson soon. I think they were going to do a few color schemes in normal soloist bodies and a King V version.

Comment

I actually have been waiting for Jackson to come up with these signature guitars since early this year and expected them at Summer NAMM...
                            But I read somewhere these will be import version, not U.S. made?
                            Also Kevin Bond's RRV with 1hum....

Comment

I saw this thread and immediatly thought of the Music Man John Petrucci model. It has the best elbow contour I've ever felt! The bridge is sweet as well.
                              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                PaddoK - let's see your Carvin. Which model is it?

[/ QUOTE ]
                                what he said! pics! [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I love my schecter sunset-7

Comment

Working...
                                X