X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on Suhr Guitars

Anyone tried to shred on a Suhr here?

I have read a lot about them.

Supposedly on of the top builders, best tone etc...

They only have 22 frets unfortunately but I guess they are suppose to be some of the best sounding guitars tone wise.

Anyone play or have one? How does it compare to Jackson?
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Re: Opinions on Suhr Guitars

Toru will be along shortly. He's owned several.
    I owned one of his old ones. Fantastic guitars. I'm not sure if they're worth the price tag, but that can be said about any and every boutique builder.
    The BEST fretwork, off the hook build quality...awesome guitars.

Some of the worlds best players use Suhr.

Comment

I can't speak of the newer ones John is making, but I had one of his guitars back in '90. It was a Pensa/Suhr, bought it used, and it was cool...nothing special...I replaced it with an EBMM Morse. The guitar was well built and looked great but just didn't blow my skirt up, if you know what I mean.
      Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Reb Beach loves his Suhr standard koa, if its consolation.

Comment

Here I am, the biggest Suhr fan on this board LOL!
          They are great! Amazing!
          GMW and Suhr are the only guitars I would own besides Jackson and Charvel.

Great attention to build(you will find that when you have one in your hands and play it),they use quality materials(parts and wood) fast turn around(for custom build, it takes 4-6months),great pickups and so on.
          Suhr's necks and fretwork are the best in the business.

I used to have a Penza/Suhr from late 80's and it wasn't any special.
          They were more like parts guitars to me and didn't have any feelings.
          John now uses the best equipment to build his guitars.

Yes, the price of new ones are way too high.
          That would be the only thing I hate about it but if you are able to find a good price on used or new(try Dave at Indoorstorm),you should.
          And if you have any questions, simply ask on Suhr message board and John usually answers your questions there.

Great builders do have something in common that they like to take time to answer your questions because they want to make sure you know what they are doing and willing to help you out.
          That is why I love about Lee at GMW and John Suhr.
          You will never get that from a big company like Jackson even you spent nearly 3K for a custom shop guitar, you will never get to talk with the man(men) who build(s) your guitar.

Comment

Hey Shredmonster, I know someone selling a mint one for a great price. If you are interested shoot me a e mail. [email protected]

Comment

Yep, they are the cream of the crop, esp the koa suhr's.

Comment

Great guitars! GMW's and Suhrs are my favorite axes.

Comment

OK guys you've talked me into seriously considering one.

I am more of a 24 fret guy but I am an even bigger fan of Tone.
                  Mark Knopfler plays one and although his style is very clean you can just here the amazing tone of his guitar.

Suhr says you don't get the proper harmonics on the neck pickup if you have 24 frets because of the pup placement.
                  But they also say they don't get a lot of requests for 24 fret necks either so I don't know what the main reason really is.

I currently have a custom Jackson on order that should be here this summer (based on the PC1).

So far the Jackson PC1 is the best guitar I have played and I have played most of the custom builders including Tom Anderson.

I don't know if you guys have ever experienced a PC1 but they are killer. Very loud accoustical properties. Awsome fret jobs - beautiful.
                  I changed the Dimarzio to a Duncan Custom and the thing just has endless sustain and articulation.

Combo of Mahagony with Maple Top, maple neck and fretboard.

Tone is just amazing - I have heard a few guitars as good on records.

The necks are a little bigger than the old Charvels (I have an 83 Charvel). But I have big hands and I like a thicker neck for leverage. And the tone of the PC1 is better than the Charvel. When I first plugged it in I was amazed that it sounded better than my Charvel.

So it will be intersting to see how the Suhr compares.

There is a boutique store here in Mpls called American Guitar Boutique that carries Suhr.

I am going to have to go over there and play one.

If I like them parntz145 I will email you on the one available.
                  PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Working...
                  X