the best of the cheapest copys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the best of the cheapest copys?

I'm considering building myself a copy of the YJM strat by simply taking a cheapo strat-ripoff body, a warmoth neck and the dimarzio YJM pickups.
    Do you have any experience which of the fender ripoffs are not total crap? any of them not made of plywood?
    I'm considering eagle so far..looks nice enough even if it's a plywood body.
    My first guitar was a squier and even though I didn't know anything about the technical side of guitar at the time I remember it was nice enough for the price back then...I can't seem to find a squier in the finish I'd like.
    My main criteria is that it needs to be an inexpensive "donor guitar", I'd like to not have to replace the hardware (I will replace electronics though), and also that it has a white or cream finish.
    Suggestions?

Re: the best of the cheapest copys?

just get a mexi strat...d.m.
    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      just get a mexi strat...d.m.

[/ QUOTE ]
      that would run me for $920 here...for that price I'd rather add some change and get a new Jackson USA!! I can get 3 strat copys for that price so it's pretty much out of the question...thanks anyway [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

damn...i just picked one up here for 100 bucks...lol...sorry...forgot to look at your location...d.m.
        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Search European Ebay's musical instruments section for "body" and "strat" and see what comes up. If you're building from the body up
          don't dismiss a body of the wrong color; you could probably go to an auto body shop and have them paint the body cheaply. I'd try for a solid wood body, they do sound better. You can get them fairly cheap if you look around.
          The Squier Affinity Strats in '97 and '98 had solid wood bodies, though they later changed to plywood when they dropped from 22 to 21 frets. I liked my '97 Chinese Affinity better than my '98 Mexi Strat, frankly. It had hotter pickups and the neck was nicer. Fender put a stop to that though; it had to cost them Mexi sales!
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Older Tokai would be great.
            Also older Fernandez.

Comment

If you're gonna use a Warmoth neck, why not check the Warmoth site and see if they have any one piece bodies on sale.
              "POOP"

Comment

Rune, Rondo offers an alder-bodied strat copy for $60!

http://www.rondomusic.net/hs360.html
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Rune I bought a Hondo II (don't laugh) on Ebay for $59.99 new. Very nice cheapo strat copy. Worth of mods.

Comment

thanks for the input guys!
                    Hondo, Rondo, what's next hehe [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                    Ron-do...must be great stuff eh Ron? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    60 bucks that's almost unbelievable..it's what I pay for a set of strings here! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

there is a massive shop in germany (musicstore.com) that sells really pretty cheap ones under the brand jack & danny, i have a jazz bass copy and its alder body good hardware and neck, its weights a ton and just cost me 160 euro

Comment

Warmoth necks are amongst the most expensive aftermarket necks. Why would you choose that brand if you want to make a super cheap Malmsteen copy? Just pickup a used mexi or squire, scallop the neck and add YJM's and an HS3 and you will be good to go. Try to get a body in a color that Yngwie uses like cream or sonic blue or red. Solid colors only. Also, most of his strats have maple/maple 21 fret necks.

Comment

RacerX pointed me to Kramer Baretta's!!

http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=002

Unbelievable, really. I'm getting one or two asap.

I've been to Musicstore before, gigantic store.
                          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            My main criteria is that it needs to be an inexpensive "donor guitar", I'd like to not have to replace the hardware (I will replace electronics though), and also that it has a white or cream finish.
                            Suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]
                            yes jgcable, I could attempt the scallops myself but don't feel all too confident about doing it...of course I could screw up a couple of cheap necks for the price of the warmoth but....hell I dunno.
                            I didn't find the base price but the scallops are gonna run me $90 bucks alone, be cool to have the CBS headstock like YJM too.
                            I'll talk to my dealer and see if he can dig up something, I don't think I can justify shipping + VAT from outside Europe, probably won't be cheaper than getting a junk donor guitar here.

Comment

If you lived in the USA, I'd make you a deal on a YJM. That would solve all your problems. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                              "POOP"

Comment

Working...
                              X