Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC-1 or axis

Hi everyone,
    I want to buy my first guitar with a maple fingerboard (I have several with rosewood and ebony boards). Which one do u recommend a PC-1 or an axis? PC-1 has a mahogany body which is better for me but the axis has a bird's eye maple neck. Any opinion? Thanks

Re: PC-1 or axis

i love my PC-1 but it has been a nightmare to keep intonated. something about figured maple takes a long time to settle or something like that...at least that's what i was told. i have a love/hate relationship with it. if the atmospheric conditions are just right, and the guitar gods are smiling on me it rocks...but other wise it sucks. but i'll never get rid of it. it is my number one stage guitar. it is the most comfortable guitar i've ever played. i like the big neck...and it looks beautiful.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

PC1. Great guitars. Awesome tone, versatility and looks. Other than shimming the nut a hair, I've had no troubles with mine.

Comment

Ditto on the PC1.

I have played many many guitars and owned Gibson Firebird and SG, PRS, Fender Strat, Ibanez (Jem), Jackson Soloist, Hammer Californian and Charvel among others.

I have played most custom manufacturers including Tom Anderson, Zion, Baker, Warrior, etc..

The PC1 is as versitle as any guitar you can find.

When I plugged it in I was shocked that it sounded better than my Charvel or any guitar I have ever played so far including any of the custom builders.

It is a stunning guitar to look at.

Tone, sustain, articulation - all extremely great. You can use this for any style but it is an aggressive guitar if you wnt it to be.

I did replace the Dimarzio with a Duncan Custom which makes it sound unbeleivable.

Now the neck is a little thicker than a Charvel at the nut and so forth. But it shreds like nobody's business. I can't stand too thin of a neck because you get no leverage for vibrato. Notes ring very clear. I can shred just as fast on this as my Ibanez Jem which as a super thin neck.

Plus it has the sustainer which is killer (but I don't use it much). Can make any note jump an octave with it.

It is built like a tank. Heavy by the way. I think that is what gives it its accoustical properties because it is the loudest electric that I have ever heard when it is not plugged in.

You can get super low action without buzzing but I raised my action a little because I prefer it a little higher for easier stretching (grabbing the strings is easier when it is higher for me.

Tone, tone, tone. Tone and a comfortable neck. Thats what I look for in a great guitar and these things are awsome. There are threads about it on this website.
        PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

You better test drive both.. Those necks are SO different it's like the difference between a Les Paul and a Strat..

Comment

I'm with Chuck, two totally different beasts. Necks are way different. They will sound way different. The Axis is a great no frills rock n roll guitar. I like the pickups in the Axis better. The Axis will also cost less. But I do need to say that PC-1 are very sweet also.

Comment

PC1 and Axis are completelly different.
              Neck profiles are different, Axis has 1c maple neck while PC has Maple on Maple, 22frets and 24frets,PC1 neck is beefy while Axis neck is very small. SSH and HH configuration of pickups, Floyd recessed and non recessed, Basswood back and Mahogany back.
              PC1 has larger frets while Axis comes with Med. frets.

Comment

I agree that they are totally different guitars, but am partial to my PC's - they have VERY comfortable necks, and they sound great both unplugged and when blasting through a cranked amp. Very versatile too ....
                Shredmonster -I actually like the stock Super 3 in my Solar... even though I am usually a Duncan guy. I liked it so much, I threw a Super 3 in my Rich ST 3.
                What tonal difference is there with the custom?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Shredmonster -I actually like the stock Super 3 in my Solar... even though I am usually a Duncan guy. I liked it so much, I threw a Super 3 in my Rich ST 3.
                  What tonal difference is there with the custom?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I thought the Dimarzio was nazal and thin. I have had several other Dimarzios and they all had that thin sound to me.

The Duncan Custom 5 to be exact is a great pickup for shredding. It has clarity, focus and articulation. And when you turn it down a little it becomes very focused.

You can't do that with most pickups.

The tone and sustain improved in my PC1 when I put it in - big difference. I had one in my last soloist also.

I had the guitar sustaining indefinitely at certain amp settings without feedback with the Duncan without using the sustainer. I was blown away.

By the way there is an awsome pick up company called Aero Instruments you might want to check out.

Guy is very knowlegeable. I have one of his pups in my Charvel and they are killer.
                  PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

if you are buying new, the pc1's hold their value alot better than the axis.
                    if you are buying use, the axis is a super bargain.

Comment

An the PC1 has FLAME on the fretboard. A little different than birdseye (which I like by the way) but the flame looks great with the Quilt on the body. I like all the colors Jackson offers too. And I mean all of them. I need a PC1 in each color! Wait a minute I'm geting GAS now. See...what you've done! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Usually PC1 has better Maple tops while many Axis have ugly Maple top.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys. Now I have a huge GAS for PC-1. You know, I do not really have enough space in my home for another guitar and I am quite sure that my family will not be pleased to spend money again for a guitar. But u know GAS is an awful thing. Whatever thanks again guys.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Thanks for all the replies guys. Now I have a huge GAS for PC-1. You know, I do not really have enough space in my home for another guitar and I am quite sure that my family will not be pleased to spend money again for a guitar. But u know GAS is an awful thing. Whatever thanks again guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Call Lloyd at Guitarxpress. Tell him Bruce who recently ordered the custom PC1 told you to call.

(I like the PC1 so much I ordered a custom a few months ago).

He will give you as low of a price as you are going to find.
                            PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I love the Axis. To me it just really felt very fast and very comfortable. I've never played a PC-1, but I never really got into the look of it, and that's like 65% of it to me.
                              -------------------------
                              Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                              X