Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender Experts - Opinions on Strat Deluxe models?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Experts - Opinions on Strat Deluxe models?

So I've been dying to try out a USA Strat Deluxe. But no stores in my area have had any stock. I've been considering getting something more "traditional" like this, but am a stickler for tuning stability. I figure the locking tuners and LSR roller nut might be a decent compromise to a Floyd.

Well, I just happened to stop in a GC last night, and they finally had a couple. HSS Deluxe models, LSR nut, locking tuners, but NOT the locking bridge variety. One of the two had a cherry mahogany body, too.

Man, was I DISAPPOINTED! They were nice enough guitars for the price. I liked the necks - kind of reminded me of an 80s Kramer. Decent tone from the PUs. But the tuning stability was horrendous! Simple string bends were making them go out of tune big time. I couldn't go 30 seconds without having to mess with the tuners. Using the trem was even worse. The slighest warbles sent everything out of whack. And the intonation on one was horrible, too. The other was only so-so. I REALLY did not get a good vibe, and was disappointed.

Thinking back on it:

- The factory set-ups were obviously horrible.

- What's the real "juice" on the locking tuner / LSR set-up? Maybe properly intonated and with stretched strings, it'll hold tune decently? (I had a vintage trem Charvel Reissue with Sperzels that held tune WAAAYYY superior to these puppies.)

- Maybe I just tried a couple of bad examples and, like Les Pauls, you've got to look through many to find a "good" one?

- Maybe tuning stability is significantly better with the Floyd-style locking bridge version?

- Anyone own one and have an experience they can share?

Man, I really wanted to like these. But just can't really say that I actually did. I'm holding out hope that they were just bad examples and/or a bad set-up experience. Can anyone share their own?

Re: Fender Experts - Opinions on Strat Deluxe models?

You are all wrong bro. I am a Fender (and Ibanez) nut. I have a Deluxe and a Plus. They are both absolutely beautiful. I have never had a Plus, Deluxe or an Ultra that wasn't abolutely outstanding in fit and finish, tone and playability. You had an unusual bad experience. The only strats "better" than the Deluxe and the Plus are the custom shop models.

Comment

I soooo want one of the new H/S/S models with locking Fender/Floyd, Schaller locking tuners and LSR roller nut. My local GC just finally got one in that's Chrome Silver with a maple board [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] Too bad I was in a hurry to get some strings and had to be on my way. I'll have to check it out next time I'm in there. Those locking trems are the only way to go, IMO.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

JG, just relating my experience and hoping others can share their's. No-one is "right" or "wrong" here, just sharing opinions mostly.

Fit and finish were good, neck was nice, tone was fine, but playability (read: set-up, intonation, and tuning stability with and w/out trem use) flat out blew moose balls. Horrible.

Mind you, I had reaonable expectations. I did NOT expect them to hold tune as well as a Floyd. Nothing does. But I did expect them to hold tune reasonably well. They failed miserably.

Comment

"You are wrong" was the wrong term. Im meant that your experience was unusual. I can rip into my Deluxe and my Plus with a vengeance and they stay in perfect tune. Actually, I have found my Deluxes's and Plus's to be the most stable guitars in my collection. If you are using the whammy bar than I agree.. they don't stay in tune unless you are just using slight vibrato. I don't even put the whammy bar on my strats. When I need to wank I grab one of my Floyded wankers.

Comment

I owned a Fender Strat Plus (95)..it was awesome. One of the best guitars I've ever owned. I stayed in perfect tune, the locking tuners made string changes a breeze. I miss it. The tone was great....the neck was amazing...
            You can't go wrong with one IMO...

Comment

I keep thinking I am going to get rid of this strat, then I cant do it.

Shawn
              Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Has Fender EVER made a stratocaster with a 24-fretted fretted??? I just want to know because I have never seen one...

Comment

Not exactly a strat shape but there was this model called HM.
                  Greg Howe used to use and had 24frets and Floyd Rose.
                  You can usually find used ones for $300-400 on E-bay.

Comment

I've always liked the deluxe strats. Actually I love strats in general. I have an old HRR (H/S/S with floyd) That plays great. I also have two 57 vintage reissues which also play great. The Floyd Rose classics are pretty good too. I would try a couple more, because it seems that you happened to get a bad one.

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot. Did you check to see if the strings were stretched? If not, they will constantly go out of tune. I've tried guitars where I had to stretch the strings to keep the tuning from going out.

Comment

Stick with real Floyds on Fender's. The HRR (hot rodded reissue) Strats were really cool.

Comment

I'll tell ya one thing: You don't have to buy an expensive Fender Strat to get a good one. Just play a LOT of them.

Comment

I've got an 87 Strat Plus that is a beauty. Fine outstanding craftmanship. I agree with JGCABLE I don't even put the bar on, it's my only non floyed guitar. Lace sensors and nice c-shaped neck, with sperzels. They're sweet, but as chuckracer stated, you've got to play a LOT of them to find one you like.
                            If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I played an '87 Strat plus for many years. If you lube the nut rollers and string it up correctly, those trems do a great job of staying in tune.

Comment

Working...
                              X