Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very nice "cheapo" ultimate guitars

I just came home from GC.
    A couple of weeks ago I started thinking about, what a good guitar, that costs few bucks, should be like.

I was playing Tremonti (PRS copy) and OLP (Music Man). Those guitars are fantastic. Really, I mean it. Tremonti is the copy of PRS 24 and it's absolutely great. For 700 USD you get bound neck, a neck-thru design, very light guitar, rosewood, nicely shaped HS, 24 frets and two humbuckers. The feel of it is awesome, the tone is like a monster and neck is damn playable.

The OLP is a bit cheaper (380 USD - those prices are for my country ... for example, a DK-1 costs ~3000 USD), maple fingerboard, nice design and look. Another awesome guitar. I think I'm getting one of those things.

And what else do you need? A decent amp, like Line6 or something, and you're ready to go. From time to time you change pickups if you want more specific sound, but that's it ... You really don't need an LP for 3000 USD just to show your friends what badass you are, because you play expensive guitar. Don't get me wrong now, though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Very nice \"cheapo\" ultimate guitars

Need and want are 2 seperate things...........Give me the good stuff, you can play the elchepos all you want........

Comment

Guitars are like cars. No one NEEDS a Lamborghini-honestly, how often do you really have to drive more than 100 miles per hour. However, If I had the dough to drop on a sportscar, I would. Sure, you can play a squier, or OLP, or Hondo or whatever and sound just fine. But, if you can afford a $3000 LP or PRS or custom shop guitar, why not go for it?

Comment

I NEED a Lamborghini to get some decent looking girls hahaha
        "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

I'm talking about very decent low-cost guitars, not what people want, but I'm saying that for small amount of money you can get an excellent guitar.

Comment

Remember that the player makes the guitar, not the other way around. Any guitar with a good setup and pickups will do the job for you.

Comment

Quite true, I have guitars that are less than a 100.00 but are decent players that can rival guitars costing hundreds more. Its all what you can do with it to make the difference.

Comment

A good guitar player can make a cheap guitar sound good, but they can also make a great guitar sound ungodly..............

Comment

Some of the Mexican Made Strats are fantastic. Schecters are pretty good players too. LTD's The MH-300 is it? Anyway, Neckthru with a photo quilt top. Archtop body... Rosewood. Binding... They are like $400 or less on line all the time new... They play really nice. The pickups are okay too but that is a easy cheap upgrade....

EDIT: This one - THE MH301

NOT MY AUCTION!
                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

My brother has one. It is great for the money.

Comment

Musicians Frind blew out those Korean made discontinued models of LTD neck thrus back in 2000-2001 for around 300.00. They just steadily went down in price for about a year. They are decent guitars for the money.

Comment

I think sometimes people are very ignorant to a good low-cost guitar, because they have some strange problems dealing with that sticker stating that guitar is made in Korea or China.

I have my Squiet Strat made in China and it's really helluwa player, if keeping in mind that I payed 100 buck for it and another 100 for Hot Rails, chrome knobs, new pots and switch ...

I'm really shure I'll get one OLP for me ... And it has wonderful finish also.

Comment

It's OLP MM1

Comment

a $2000 guitar plays, sounds and looks alot better than a $200 guitar, no matter how you mod it.
                          it is not proportionally better, but better never the less.

Comment

I don't necessarily agree with that. My Epi LP plays just as icely as the Gibby Studio I compared it too, but was about 1/3 the price. My old HM strat is the best playing guitar I have ever laid hands on (IMO), and it was only 400 bucks a little over ten years ago. Also, the Alvarez acoustic I want (around 400 bucks) plays more nicely than then the lower end Martins in the 6-700 dollar range. I personally love the fact that I play guitars made in foreign countries! I'm pretty sure the Korean stuff coming out now is as nice or pretty close to the Japanese stuff of 10-15 years ago, and China and Indonesia are the Koreas of that era. Just because a Korean guitar builder can build a guitar for half the price or less than an american one doesn't mean that he is any less talented than an American builder. Does that seem strange or anti american? If so, just remember that I work in Social Services and must satisfy my GAS with bargain model equipment!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Just because a Korean guitar builder can build a guitar for half the price or less than an american one doesn't mean that he is any less talented than an American builder. Does that seem strange or anti american? If so, just remember that I work in Social Services and must satisfy my GAS with bargain model equipment!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should substitute builder for machine...........Its not the machines that make the difference, they are probobly the same. The difference comes in what is placed in the machine. Most of those budget guitars are held together with that thick finish they come with....................

Comment

Working...
                              X