Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Very nice \"cheapo\" ultimate guitars

[ QUOTE ]
    a $2000 guitar plays, sounds and looks alot better than a $200 guitar, no matter how you mod it.
    it is not proportionally better, but better never the less.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a pretty much fan of DK-1 and SL1, and both are expensive guitars. But you have to keep in mind that 2000 USD guitar isn't ten times better than 200 USD guitar. Surely I'll buy DK-1 one day, that's for sure. But imagine you're a beginner or you already have plenty of expensive guitars, why don't you just buy a quality low-cost?

Comment

Come on, guys, this isn't about arguing and underestimating hand-built and quality guitar pieces, but only discussing about how good low-cost guitars can be.

Comment

I personally agree with you, but most people who own the $2,000+ guitars have bought into the idea that an inexpensive guitar has to be a piece of sh!t and they're not budging from that viewpoint. It's sort of pointless to try and convnce them otherwise. I think they are thinking of the Korean and Chinese builds of 20 years ago though, because I own a number of Korean guitars, Hamer and Washburn to name two, that I've had for years and they don't seem to be falling apart at all. I had a 97 Affinity Squier (Chinese) and it was definitely better than the Mexican Fender Standard Stratocaster in every category except cosmetically. The neck was nicer, the pickups hotter, and it played way better than the Standard Strat. I have actually owned several of them over the past 6 years and all have had the same qualities. They were all gigworthy, though I wouldn't use the trem, but I wouldn't use the trem on a USA Strat with v-trem either.If you like it, be happy with it. Don't try to convince someone who's set aganst the idea though; if you prove it to them they'll just be pissed at you, not grateful. They don't want to know.
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I have owned PLENTY of 2K plus guitars and I also believe there are some good quality low $$$ instruments out there. Also some real dogs in BOTH the High-end and the low-end. I think that if you are comfortable playing it then it is for you. If you can't tell the difference then that is great for you. If you can and you have the cash to spend then great for you. My point is that the variables to this equation differ greatly? Are you looking for a good player/lowbuck guitar? Are you looking for a high-end guitar because you can afford it? Is it a status symbol? Do you need great pickups if your amp is a turd? Can you hear the difference? What did I eat for breakfast? Did I turn the stove off...? lol.

Believe me. I have some parts mutts that were built by me using low $$$ parts and they play and sound fantastic.

Comment

I have no problem with guitars made in Japan, Korea, OR India, however I will not buy any products made in China. I don't care how nice they are for the price, or how good they sound (if any do), but I make a stand against supporting communist dictatorships and armies and their human rights abuses.
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Both my guitars are low $$$ (with a 3rd on the way) but I love them. Why? Cuz I've never had a high-end axe. Do I want one? Pfffft... is a pig's ass pork? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] My point is, I have yet to discover what I'm missing. The opposite holds true for most JCFers... they know what their missing by NOT owning a low $$$ guitar. Feed me filet mignon for 6 months and then turn around and tell me I now have to eat cube steak. Would I gladly accept the change? Hell no! I would always be comparing the two.
              My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Tremonti is the copy of PRS 24 and it's absolutely great. For 700 USD you get bound neck, a neck-thru design, very light guitar, rosewood, nicely shaped HS, 24 frets and two humbuckers.

[/ QUOTE ]
                [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Since when? The Tremonti model is 22 frets and based on the Singlecut, which is based on a Les Paul.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm still looking for a place that has any USA Jackson in stock in the metro Detroit area to make my decision. I've never even seen one in person, let alone played on one. If they turn out to actually be better than what I have, then I'll buy one.

I own an SL3 and a cheap no-name strat copy. The no-name does not stay in tune, has horrible upper fret access (due to bolt-on and only 22 frets), and horrible electronics...BUT if I'm playing at like the 19th fret or lower it feels pretty decent. It doesn't sound so great because of the electronics and the crappy tuning, but it feels ok so I keep it for practicing without the amp when I'm on the phone or something.

Right now I'm not completely satisfied with my SL3, but I really like it. I'm not going to say it's as good as the USA's until I actually play one though.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I have no problem with guitars made in Japan, Korea, OR India, however I will not buy any products made in China. I don't care how nice they are for the price, or how good they sound (if any do), but I make a stand against supporting communist dictatorships and armies and their human rights abuses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought Korea has concentration camps?

Comment

I like my USA Jacksons. I don't care about guitars that are cheaper, more expensive, have more hand fitting or custom features, or cheaper ones with less expensive components. I've played nice guitars in every price range, and crappy ones as well.

I buy USA Jacksons because that is what I like, and I can now afford them. It doesn't matter how crappy or good I play, that's just what makes me feel special when I'm playing one.
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]
                        Tremonti is the copy of PRS 24 and it's absolutely great. For 700 USD you get bound neck, a neck-thru design, very light guitar, rosewood, nicely shaped HS, 24 frets and two humbuckers.

[/ QUOTE ]
                        [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Since when? The Tremonti model is 22 frets and based on the Singlecut, which is based on a Les Paul.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ups, damn, yeah. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I checked the 24 model now, and it's different. You sure about 22 frets? I think it's 24 ... I'll check today.

Comment

Every Tremonti and Singlecut model I've ever seen has been 22 frets. Cool guitars either way, just missing two extra frets if you really need them.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought Korea has concentration camps?

[/ QUOTE ]
                            N. Korea does, South (where most of the guitars made in Korea are produced) does not.

While China may be a mecca for cheap labor, I do not see them becoming a democracy for a long long time and not without the blood of many spilled.

Comment

Again, I'm going to have to point out the Kramer Barretta's at musicyo.com

Also:

Agile guitars at musicrondo.com:

http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/it...p;PRID=1123823

http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/it...p;PRID=1361741

Especially this one;

http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/it...p;PRID=1444349

They have other models too. Agile will rape any Epiphone of over thrice its price.
                              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I wont buy guitars made in China, Korea, India, Indonesia, or any other country that is in violation of patent laws..............

Comment

Working...
                                X