7 string stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 string stuff

I've been looking more and more at 7-strings lately, and am wondering if I'm missing something. I'm trying to find a higher end 7-string should I decide that I like em better than 6. The basic features I'd want to see in a higher end one would be:

neck-through
    floyd
    at least 24 frets

Are there any production models from any company that meet those specs, or do I have to go Carvin or some other more expensive custom shop?

Re: 7 string stuff

[ QUOTE ]
    at least 24 frets

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

You're wanting a 27 or 29 fretter as a PRODUCTION axe? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Well I wouldn't mind, but I guess I didn't really need the at least in there...

Comment

will you have an high A string on that? Then you could do a whole-step bend on the 29th fret up to E. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Ibanez do some good 7 strings.

Carvin.

Washburn did do some cool 7 strings untill they stopped production.

Conklin are cool
          93 USA Soloist EDS
          USA HT6 Juggernaut
          Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Schecter 7s have a pretty good rep as well. There was quite a comprehensive thread on 7s a while ago, you might want to make use of the search-function.

Comment

if you find a good used Carvin 7 string, it won't be overly expensive
              Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

1. Carvin isn't a custom shop. They have production models and the let you pick a few options.

2. For a neckthrough 7 stirng with 24 frets, your options are Carvin, ESP's LTD line, Scheter's Diamond Series or custom shop through Jackson, BC Rich, etc.

3. To answer your question [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Find a used Carvin 7 string, you should be able to get it for under $400. It will be a solid guitar with the features you mentioned. The next step from there would be one of the neckthrough shecter 7's (007 elite looks really nice).
                ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

I forgot to add - you may want to think twice about a floyd on a 7 stirng. I've heard more than one perosn complain about how crappy the licensed 7 string floyds are - even on the Custom shop Jackson and BC Rich guitars.
                  ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Or....you can get an 7 String OFR to replace that crappy licensed Rose. I know I did this on my Peavey Predator TR7.
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I know Carvin's not a custom shop, that's why I said Carvin OR a custom shop! It's cool though, thanks for the replies.

Comment

Yeah, if you want neck-thru, Carvin's the way to go. The Schecter 007 and C7 are nice, too, but they're both set-neck, and the C7 is a 26" scale. (Real Duncans, though, which is cool.)

I finally played a LTD SC607B, and I was disappointed. It's nice that it has real EMGs, but I wasn't impressed with the tone. Then again, I'm discovering I don't really like baritone guitars. Maybe the non-baritone version would be better, but I think the Schecters are better guitars for the money - and for the LTD's price, you can buy a Carvin, which is certainly better.
                        Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Schecter doesn't make neckthru 7-strings anymore. The only one they ever did make that way was the A7 Elite, which I owned awhile back. It was a very nice 7-string for the money--I prefer it to Schecter's setneck guitars, and I certainly liked it better than the ESP SC607, which sounds like crap to me. I think you can still get a NOS A7 Elite from Drum City Guitarland, and they do come up on eBay every now and then. Be careful, though, that you are getting an Elite--the regular A7 and A7+ were bolt-on neck guitars that aren't nearly as nice as the Elite.

I will say that the "Avenger" body style on that guitar takes some getting used to. It's big as hell, and the pointy top horn seems intrusive, whether you are sitting or standing. But if you can get past that, it's a hell of a guitar, as long as you replace the stock Duncan Design pickups.

Comment

Working...
                          X