Fender Malmsteen Strats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Malmsteen Strats

I absolutely loved the 2 I had, but once again you could not get low action on either 1 to save your butt. I went as far as to email Yngwie`s current tech for pointers...and no help. It blows my mind as to how he can play as fast, clean and accurately with action that high. I cant say enough about Dimarzio hs-3 pickups. loved em. any 1 else here ever own 1 of these?

Re: Fender Malmsteen Strats

I have 2 and love the guitar for it's unique sound. No problems with the action. You can set the action low if your frets have been leveled properly. Some of the necks that left the Fender factory were not leveled. I know, I had one of them and it was sent back. Set your relief at .008-.010" at the 8th fret and make sure frets 12-21 are level, then drop your bridge saddles. Works great.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Well, you can get them to play quite well but I'm with you on the amazing part. Even if you don't like his style it is still an accomplishment to pull off what he does on his gear. I think most of what he plays would sound like mush on a Soloist or Les Paul.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I think most of what he plays would sound like mush on a Soloist or Les Paul.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, that's also due to the pick-ups.. they are so clean.. I love em
        "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Yngwie uses high action, with tiny guage .08-36 (or something) strings.

He claims it sounds better with high action.

Comment

I think that's .08-.46.
            In measuring relief, I'm assuming you're measuring from the bottom of the 6th string ("low E") to the top of the 8th fretwire? I've been trying, with limited success, to obtain lower actions on my guitars, and I sure wish I could get better at it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]
              I think most of what he plays would sound like mush on a Soloist or Les Paul.

[/ QUOTE ]
              I agree, that's also due to the pick-ups.. they are so clean.. I love em

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing with most single coil pick ups is that they are so unforgiving, every little finger movment comes through. You can't hide bad fretting or fingering or sloppy picking because with single coils everything is on display.

Having said that, I tried some Dimarzio Evoloutions last week and I think they are as unforgiving as those, very sensative. But then Steve Vai's playing requires a lot of little nuances.
              I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

A friend of mine has a Malmsteen strat. It's a killer guitar!

Comment

Yngwie strats are HS-3 bridge and YJM neck, correct? Anyone know which position he uses for most of the leads on the Concerto Suite, I think there's a live DVD of it available maybe someone could look at it?

Comment

thetroy, the HS-3 is in the bridge position and the YJM's are in the middle and neck. The only difference from the HS-3 and the YJM, is that the YJM pickup has the staggered pole pieces. They are the same wind as the HS-3. YJM felt the staggered pole pieces in the neck work the best. Obviously he doesn't use the middle, but I do.
                    Quicksilver, On the relief, capo at first fret and depress the string, low E or high E at the 12th fret. Low E is the easiest. Then slip a feeler guage under the string on top of the 8th fret, (so that the feeler guage is between the string and top of the wire fret). You can start out with .010". That will give you an idea. I have to use a "Optivisor" (headset magnifier) like Dan Erlewine, uses because I can't see that small anymore. For pictures of this and instructions, check out Mr. Gearhead on www.fender.com, under "Resources". It's a tremolo Strat they are using but the principle is the same.
                    [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I have one of Yngwie's instructional tapes and he says he disconnects the middle PU and dropps it flush with the pick guard. He should do like Blackmore and just not even have them cut that damn hole in the pick guard
                      I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

So, what's exactly Yngwie's action? In mm above the 12th fret, please [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I have a YJM Strat and I love it. I like the action set a bit higher than on my Soloists.

Comment

Are the Japanese ones any good?

Comment

I think a bunch of the jap ones were made out of basswood back in the early 90's. Not sure if it's the same but I wood look out for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X