• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fender Malmsteen Strats

I have a 1991 MIJ and I love it.
    "POOP"

Comment

I have a U.S. made Malmsteen Strat I love the way it sounds and it plays great. You just have to get use too the scalloped frets.

Comment

im gonna try to get that one up in the classifieds, lowered the buy it now of my gibson to try and end the auction sooner!!!!

so many great guitars in the classifieds lately, it's driving me crazy

Comment

A friend of mine has a usa one. I hated the thing, but I've always been a les paul/jackson guy, not a fender guy.
          Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            It blows my mind as to how he can play as fast, clean and accurately with action that high. I

[/ QUOTE ]

Its called practice. He carried his guitar everywhere he went when he was a kid. He doesnt have a 9 to 5 job like us so he can practice for hours and hours all day. Also he can afford to pay someone like a Satch to show him how to play [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yngwie sounds like Yngwie. I have a clip of him playing a 335 and it still sounds very much like neoclassical, pedaltone Yngwie playing the same on his scalloped strat.
              (and no, I'm not dissing him, Yngwie had made himself who he is by sticking to his guns in and being a 'monster' in his own right by taking from everyone else and speeding it up from 33 to 78rpm.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Yngwie strats are HS-3 bridge and YJM neck, correct? Anyone know which position he uses for most of the leads on the Concerto Suite, I think there's a live DVD of it available maybe someone could look at it?

[/ QUOTE ]

He changes positions quite a lot during songs, but most of the leads (if you can discern them) are played with the neck pickup. I think you can pretty easily hear when he uses the bridge pup because of the added treble "snarl" it gives.

He actually plays .10-.46 but because of the intensive vibrato and 1 1/2 step (and beyond) bending he uses a .008 high E string to preserve his fingers a bit (when touring, multiple shows..etc.) (More info on that is available in interviews with his former techs, at his official site...yngwie.org)

Guitars with high action have a lot more powerful acoustic quality to them...it has to do with physics. Of course they can be harder to play but I think it has a lot to do with practice and getting accustomed to it.
                I also think that it gives a sort of "QWERTY-effect" (for those familiar with computer history) to have higher action...because he can play very fast with high action doesn't mean it would sound better on a fine-tuned soloist with action low-as-you-can-go...because the notes would probably just "mush" and be harder to discern from one another.
                And hammer-on/pull-off have a stronger effect on high action too.

- Rune.

Comment

I have a hybrid YJM strat made from a real YJM neck and a body that's either MIJ or MIK.

It came with the stock import pickups in the body, so I installed a pair of HS-3s myself (leaving the weak stock in the middle) and it sounds and plays awesome. I paid $400 CDN for it by the way [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

My tech, who has played a real (non-hybrid) YJM strat before, says that he actually perfers mine over his buddy's, because mine actually sounds better, and he said the raw maple neck (previous owner sanded down the back of the neck) vastly improved comfort and playability.

Proof that patience can pay off on eBay [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X