Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about buying an Eric Johnson sig strat...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about buying an Eric Johnson sig strat...

I know this was a topic earlier (and I set one numb-skull straight in it) but here's another one.

I think I'm going to buy one of these. Found a place that sells em for $1499 w/case plus shipping... I can get one shipped to me for $1524 or so.

Anyone think I'm nuts? I know I can get a hellacious GMW for the same money, but this would be a guitar I would keep. My favorite strat right now is my '95 Charvel USA - with jumbo frets, 12" fingerboard radius, etc... I think the EJ would be a nice counterpart.

Don't tell anyone, but I think I would put a white Duncan JB Jr in the bridge of the EJ - I hate bridge single coil pickups. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyone else thinking of picking one of these up?

Pete

Re: Thinking about buying an Eric Johnson sig strat...

I would love to try one but why would you buy this and put Duncan JB Jr.?
    If you like your 95 Charvel,why don't you get another one and modify it the way you want it without spending $1500+?
    This way, you could do it maybe less than half.

Comment

I don't really like the headstock on the charvel, and I prefer a maple fingerboard. I'd replace the bridge pickup because I need a humbucker there for versatility - I don't really like ANY bridge single coils, but I think strats have it made for clean tones, especially the 2nd position.

Same line of thinking - why buy a jackson when you can get a GMW? Why buy any bolton guitar when you can get warmoth parts, etc.

There are just several features on this thing that I really find interesting, from the quartersawn neck to pickups to finish, etc.

Pete

Comment

Well Pete I think you are gonna end up getting one, even if nothing for curiousity. But if you don't dig the neck on your Charvel, you could always order one from Warmoth that meets your tastes.

Comment

Pete, I played one here at a local shop and it is incredible. The neck profile and the feel of the whole guitar was just...awesome. Good call on swapping out the bridge pickup, you wouldn't regret doing that.

The EJ is the finest of all the Artist series Fender's I've played.
          Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Go for it Pete. Myself and my bud played one here that was fresh out of setup and box. We ran to the bank so he could pick up the cash which took all of twenty minutes and when we got back, it was sold. That was last Friday and since then their have been two store employees and three customers that have placed orders for one! If I had more money, I'd go for it. Best Fender Strat I've played in a while and neck and neck with the Suhr Classics I've played for overall quality. Fender did this right.

Comment

You all are going to have to stop posting such great comments about the EJ Strat. Especially since I'm jonesing for a Strat right now. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Jason

Comment

Sometimes you just need a Strat, and nothing but a Strat is a Strat. That said, once you mess around with the three single coil setup and start dropping in hummers, you're in super-strat territory, and there are better super-strats than hot rodded Strats.

Ignore me... I'm not making any sense.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Sometimes you just need a Strat, and nothing but a Strat is a Strat. That said, once you mess around with the three single coil setup and start dropping in hummers, you're in super-strat territory, and there are better super-strats than hot rodded Strats.

Ignore me... I'm not making any sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, putting a single coil sized humbucker in a strat makes it just like a jackson soloist.

What color is the sky on your planet? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I put a Dimarzio Fast Track 2 in my old Charvel Traditional, and it was smoking. Hotter than a lot of full-sized hummbuckers I've played. You might want to check one of those out, too.

I miss that guitar. Should've never sold it. What a great set-up. That says a lot, coming from a Floyd-freak like me.

Comment

Buy it Pete! Then sell it to me when you're tired of it. What color are we getting? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Pete, email me where you found that price.... [email protected]

Comment

I'm thinking of the Trower Strat myself.
                          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                          X