Looking to try something different...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to try something different...

So I've been having wrist problems lately, and I think I might do better with a different guitar. My guess is I need something with a fatter neck. Right now I've got a Soloist. Anyone have a recommendation of something else to try? Looking for:

wide, flat, fat neck
    jumbo frets
    floyd
    bridge humbucker, other pickups don't matter
    preferably neck-thru or something like the Ibanez bolt-on joint (anything with good upper fret access)
    preferably 24 frets
    It can be any manufacturer, and pretty much any price (can't be custom though, I want to try the thing before I buy it)

Also has to relatively light. I absolutely hate the feel of a Les Paul as far as the body shape and weight goes, I just do not feel comfortable with one.

Re: Looking to try something different...

Carvin.

Comment

What about a PC-1? I have heard that they have boat necks.

Comment

Hey I forgot about the PC-1, I thought Jackson's bolt-ons were all thin but I just checked the website and it is in fact thicker than a Soloist.

re: Carvin - Anyone know the neck dimensions on those?

Comment

You might also try a Wolfgang if you can find one still sitting in a shop.
          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

How about a Dean? 79 Series or Time Capsule V, Z, or ML.

Comment

I thought Deans have hardtails and thin necks?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                You might also try a Wolfgang if you can find one still sitting in a shop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing when I read his post. I have two and LOVE 'em. They don't have 24 frets or all-access neck joints, but try one and see what you think.
                Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

last night i actually go to play some newer USA Deans, ML,V & Z. they were all very light sounded great, none had floyds. the necks werent wide, med thickness slight rounded. they were not as thick or rounded as the ernie ball necks more like the med/big Gibson necks, not the baseball bat necks of the 50's re's. if you can find one to try, OLD bcrichs they had fat wide necks, the ones after 85ish are thinner & flatter. slightly smaller front to back than ernie ball stuff but they were wider. BTW ive also had some hand wrist problems, which is why i cant play gibson slim taper necks too small & causes alot of pain. see a DR, if you dont it will get worse. if you play standing alot it not just the neck size/shape, but the position of it. like playing the guitar on the left leg instead of the right when sitting.

Comment

Wolfgang is a 22 fret bolt on, BUT.....

Best necks in the business... Damn they feel good. I always pondered calling up GMW and asking if they could make me a Soloist style SuperStrat with an EXACT copy of that wolfgang neck.

However, I wouldnt want to spend the heavy $$ only to find out they couldnt replicate it perfectly.

:s

Comment

You want a Charvel 750XL.

Comment

I know almost nothing about Charvels, what're the specs of a 750XL?

Comment

You don't want a 750XL if you're looking for a light guitar. They are nice, but weigh as much as a Les Paul. Too bad about the 24 fret and neck through... the wolfgangs are awesome guitars.

Pete

Comment

I think there are some pics in the gallery

Comment

Working...
                            X