Floyd Rose Model 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose Model 4

My local guitar tech s thinking about selling Floyd Rose guitars, and he let me take a Model 4 for a spin.

It's one of the few guitars I've picked up and found comfortable right from the start. I don't think I'd shell out $2,200 for the USA version, but I'd definitely think about the soon-to-come-out import for $750. The tech said as far as playability, he had a hard time telling the import from the USA.

Anybody else played these? What did you think?

Re: Floyd Rose Model 4

I liked the USA guitars alot, but haven't tried an import....I didn't get the USA guitar because I want to see if they become last year's news (I got stuck with an early Brian Moore MC1 which I couldn't shift for anything!)
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I liked the USA guitars alot, but haven't tried an import....I didn't get the USA guitar because I want to see if they become last year's news (I got stuck with an early Brian Moore MC1 which I couldn't shift for anything!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's definitely a valid thought when you know that not every music store will carry your strings.

Comment

The imports have been available for a little while now - $400 or so at Musician's Friend. Instead of Schaller made bridges, they are made in Asia (probably Ping) like the BC Rich NJ's. The pickups are not the same either - the USA pickups are really, really nice - JD was hand winding them in Floyd's shop (not sure if he still is).
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

link for FR's guitars, please?

Comment

umm... http://www.floydrose.com
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

i didnt like the US floyd rose guitars i played. they felt too "stiff". i perfer the effortless playing of us jacksons myself.

Comment

I played a Model 5 today.

WOW! that thing was one of the nicest playing guitars I've ever played. Perfect neck. . .perfect. Maple neck and fretboard. Black finish and hardware. It had perfect action, easy tuning, a great tremolo, the bridge pickup was GREAT, I didnt like the neck pickup, IMO something like a PAF pro in the neck would make that guitar the PERFECT guitar (for me)

I had seen them around, even plunked them a couple times, but never got too intimate because of the price tag that said $2200ish. I didn't like the lack of tuners and thought the whole "Speed-Loader" system was too Inspector-Gadget for me (I like traditional things).

But I got to plug it in, and it just effing screamed! It made the JCM 2000 TSL I played it on sound really good!
                Ive decided that tuners arent necessary [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The only thing you needed for tuning on the "speed-Loader" floyd rose is the fine tuners.

It was on clearance at Guitar Center for $1200, which is a pretty good deal, I think they go for around $2000 new (not list, regular retail)

Im really GASsing for one now. Gotta start saving my pennies...

Comment

i have heard they are great but that headstock just bugs the hell outta me.but looks arent the most important thing and if it sounds and plays great i could probably get used to the funky headstock.

Comment

maybe your guitar center sets up guitars better than mine. or maybe my fingers are just that pathetic and weak!

chris

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      maybe your guitar center sets up guitars better than mine. or maybe my fingers are just that pathetic and weak!

chris

[/ QUOTE ]

Guitar Center? Yeah, that might be a factor. I played one at a repair shop that has maybe five guitars for sale at any one time, and the owner is anal/meticulous about everything in the shop being ready to play.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

chris

[/ QUOTE ]

They had a couple other Floyd Rose Model series guitars, and they were all set up the same way, very very nice.

I think they were the only guitars in the whole store setup correctly [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X