Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pics/review of my new LES PAUL CUSTOM as promised!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics/review of my new LES PAUL CUSTOM as promised!

What a beaut!!!! Pics first of the actual guitar from the seller in Japan:

Stock pictures from a Japanese shop:

1999 ESP/Edwards E-LP-90LTC '68 Les Paul Custom Reissue lawsuit, pre serial number, made in Japan naturally, and in EXCELLENT condition! Not intended for the North American market... you probably know why. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Came with the thickly-padded ESP gig bag. Looking forward to shopping for a Les Paul hardshell case this weekend!

Some specs from the ESP Japan website:

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/...-LP-90LTC.html

Bridge Duncan JB reminds me very much of my Jackson KE3's bridge Duncan Designed HB-102 JB, which was a fantastic sound to hear once again since my KE3 was my best sounding guitar before this LP. Raunchy, fat, clear, defined full chords and searing lead tone. Neck Duncan '59 is incredible and much thicker-sounding than I anticipated. It is sweet and round and perfect for smooth legato. I don't think I'll be putting my APCs into this guitar just yet... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The guitar is rather light, only a little bit heavier than my Soloist and lighter than my KE3, so it's comfortable to wear. I don't normally talk about sustain, but holy crap, it's juicy and almost redundant! Add a little vibrato to the notes and you can shake the crap out of it forever, even at low volume.

Apparently, the neck construction is like the old Gibson Les Pauls with the long neck tenon, but I haven't ripped out the neck pickup to check it yet. There's definitely a very vintage, comfortable, "feels like an old friend" vibe to the guitar. Even my mom said it looked "old fashioned". [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The neck is only a little bit thicker than my Soloist, so I adapted quickly. The nut width is the same, 1 11/16 inches, so that was very comfortable as well.

The frets are low and wide, but not fretless wonder frets. Still, there's enough clearance above the SUPER BLACK ebony fretboard to get some REALLY wide vibrato. Not quite sure of the fretboard radius, but it was comfortable and yet offered blistering speed... perhaps a conical/compound board?

2-piece solid bookmatched maple top, and you can slightly see the bookmatch seam down the middle of the top of the guitar. 1-piece mahogany body and neck. Ebony board as already mentioned. White/black/white/black/white aged binding, so it looks yellowish and very cool! Satin black body, gloss black neck. Nitro top coat finish, I am told. The weight is 8.8 pounds.

The "Les Paul Custom" truss rod cover is a special touch from the seller. I liked it, so I left it on there. The guitar came with the original blank truss rod cover in the gig bag.

I got my free Gibson speed knobs from Rhmsc8 today, but I didn't know how to remove the stock tophat knobs to put on the speed knobs! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Anyone wanna help me out? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Alright, the only real issues I have with this guitar are the TINY strap pins... I nearly dropped this guitar when I bent over to adjust the settings on my GT-6! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] Anyone know of larger strap pins I can buy, preferably in GOLD? The ones on my Soloist hold my leather strap fantastically. And, the other issue is the Gotoh tuners... they are smooth, but I prefer the high gear ratio of my Taylor K14c's 18:1 Grover tuners for fine tuning. Anyone know if I can perhaps replace these Gotohs with Grovers? Or, perhaps with locking Sperzels?

The guitar slips slightly out of tune after a little while, which is an issue to me, a dedicated Floyd Rose abuser who does a LOT of heavy string bends and aggressive picking-hand technique. Any hints, besides graphite in the nut slots?

Also, the fretboard inlays are synthetic MOP. Oh well. I think the headstock logo/diamond inlays are also synthetic. Oh well. Still a beautiful guitar though. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

But damn, this guitar plays and sounds awesome and didn't even need a setup when it arrived today from Japan. The high frets aren't even too hard to reach as I originally feared... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] And the solder joints are CLEAN! [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Any questions? Comments? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'll take my own pics later when I've put on the Gibson speed knobs and after I've removed the pickguard... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I was also going to remove the gold pickup covers but I may leave them since I don't know if they can even be removed... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks for looking! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Pics/review of my new LES PAUL CUSTOM as promised!

Very nice, glad you are enjoying it. For the tiny strap pins, I would replace them with gold Schaller strap locks.
    Anyway, congrats on a nice axe!!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: Pics/review of my new LES PAUL CUSTOM as promi

I'm not a straplock fan... I just prefer huge regular conical strap pins... they work for me so I just prefer them. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Like on my Shannon:

But thanks for the compliments! Spent only three hours playing her today but I can already tell she's a keeper. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Very nice pics Priest! The quality control on the guitar looks flawless.

Comment

It's flawless. I was rather surprised. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I thought there was absolutely NO way a cheap Japanese knockoff could look/play/feel so fantastically. If this thing had jumbo frets like my Shannon, I'd be addicted... [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] Maybe when it's time for a refret years down the road, I'll get huge frets put on, as well as a taller nut to compensate. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

By the way, the guitar is absolutely LOUD when played unplugged. I was quite astonished with that too. Translated into great tone plugged in... [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

You Gibson purists are probably going to REALLY insult me in this thread. Don't worry. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I haven't compared the guitar to a Gibson (except for the long neck tenon paragraph), but I know a fantastic playing/sounding guitar when I come across one, and this one is at the top of the heap. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] And I haven't played enough Gibsons anyway to make an accurate comparison.

Toru wonders why I keep buying all-black electric guitars... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I just love 'em! [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

I don't think I'll be buying that ESP Eclipse (LP shape that plays like a superstrat) anytime soon... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Very nice! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Sweet!! [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] Strange it's got a gloss neck with satin body. I'd figure they'd do it the opposite or keep both satin. I also hated the tiny strap buttons that came on my Les Paul and opted for a leather DiMarzio Cliplock strap. Though, if you prefer regular buttons, I'd suggest getting the Dunlop "Dual Design" straplocks. They're bigger and come stock on Hamers. You can just use them as regular buttons and not need to even to install the rest of the locking feature on the strap. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

to remove the old top hat knobs, get a tshirt, or one of those flannel polishing cloths, and situate it under the knob like this:

then you bring one side around and overlap the other side like this:

then bring the other side around, and underneath the first side. make sure that this is really tight, and under the knob as far as you can.

then twist the cloth really tightly so it looks like this:

pull up, and whaddya know?

the first few times you do this, you may pull the shirt out from under the knob, and your arm will go flyin back. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] that means you didn't have it underneath the knob tight enough. try again. with a little practice, you'll be ripping your knobs off like a pro. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

How much did it run ya?

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Thanks Sully for that illustrated tutorial. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] I'll definitely try that this weekend.

Toejam, thanks for that recommendation. I'll check the stores this weekend. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

And thanks to everyone for the compliments! Inearthed, it cost me $720 American, plus $120 American shipping imported from Japan (a reasonable shipping rate), on Ebay, in the ESP section under Electric Guitars. I was actually looking out for an ESP Eclipse which I've been hunting for a few months, and then I saw the Edwards LP and fell in love with it... bought it with the Buy-It-Now within hours of the auction start. Overall, a fair price, not a steal, but worth every penny. Occasionally other ESP/Edwards lawsuits pop up in the ESP section and they're also beautiful but I saw this black one and knew I had to have it.

Comment

Pretty guitar!
                      "POOP"

Comment

Sully, those instructions were bogus. Everyone knows you just grab them with some pliers (er, dykes for Kev) and then yank.
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Grabbing knobs with pliers, ahhh how much kinkier can this get? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Oops, Inearthed, I forgot to include forty-something dollars Canadian for customs clearance when the delivery guy brought the guitar to my house.

Comment

or grabbing knobs with dykes! i wouldn't think they'd be into that!

sully
                            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                            Sully Guitars on Facebook
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Interesting quote I heard from somewhere talked about how lesbians shouldn't be allowed to use phallic sex toys since they've obviously made their choice in being lesbians... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X