Need advice regarding guitar purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need advice regarding guitar purchase

Anderson or GMW would be my vote. Andersons are great guitars. So are GMW's for that matter. I'm into the strat bodies...
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Near Moser is building a line of completely handmade guitars that have oiled walnut bodies and oiled maple necks:

http://www.nealmoser.com/mcstemplar.htm

That's the first one and more shapes will be made, including a Strat/Soloist type shape. I think they'll cost around $1200 or $1300. The options are very limited though. I played the one in the url and it played very nicely. I'm not sure if he's offering different neck profiles. His "standard" profile is fairly thick but his setups are insanely good.

Comment

I am not a very accomplished player, but I can tell you what i have had experience with. I have Toru's old anderson and one of his old maple gmw necks. Both are the best strat-type necks I have ever felt. Of course they are very different (one finished/one not, different shapes, maple fb vs. rosewood fb) but they are the best I have every played. I will say that the gmw frets are starting to lift up but I would guess that's because the unfinished neck was exposed to Mexican humidity since no one else has reported any problems similar to this. The Anderson is the best all-around strat-type guitar I have played or owned, but I don't love the pickups through a Marshall. Even though I have alot of respect for it, I end up playing other guitars more, but I guess I prefer set-necks lately. Hope this helps.

Comment

Get the Prs-great guitars and easy to turn if you don't like it-although a TA would be sweet too-

Get a neckthrough with the birds and the tremelo-once set up they stay in pretty good tune-the rotary switch rocks

Comment

i've had a prs standard 22, and a couple of ce 24s, eb/mm axis, a couple of eb/mm axis ss, wolfgang usa archtop, and a jem 7dbk.

out of all those, i find the ce24s to be the best overall guitar. best mixture of playability, workmanship and sound.

if you like thin necked shredders, the ibanez had the lowest action and thinnest neck, but the tone was uninspiring.

the axis ss was a close 2nd to the prs ce 24 in overall performance and sound, but i just prefer a carved top on my guitar. it had the best overall workmanship out of all the guitars listed above.

the wolfgang is an awesome rock machine, and it's currently my main guitar. however, it's a one trick pony...maybe if the pickups had some coil taps, it might add a couple more sounds.

the standard 22 was like the wolfgang, but more versatile. the wide fat neck was a bit too large for my hands, but a great sounding/playing guitar in a gibson kind of way.

Comment

I vote for a used Jem. Fong's right. You can always flip it if you don't find it to be your cup o' tea. That was my thought when I recently bought a 7VHW, and now it's become my #1 go to axe. Extremely comfortable, and a nice change of pace from my Jacksons. Sounds good, too, IMO (mine has alder body, ebony fretboard, Evolution pickup) - and the AANJ offers GREAT upper fret access, while retaining the snappy punch of a bolt-on, which you seem to appreciate.

Comment

Working...
              X