Another odd find in China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another odd find in China

In another shop I ran across an Epiphone LP.. this one was something I haven't seen before:
    A flames finish over trans black on a flame maple veneer (or just foto-flame, I dunno), yes we've seen Epi LPs like that. But this one had a bound maple board and black block inlays! Is this something that's been out there and I haven't seen because I never look at epiphone stuff, or is this just some BS knock-off epi that they decided to put a maple board on?
    I wasn't totally impressed by the quality (by looking closer at the inlays I could see this weird ugly putty-ish crap around the outside edges, obviously an attempt to blend in with the fretboard) but when I sat down and played it I also wasn't totally appalled by the feel/playability.. tuning stability wasn't so good though.
    The guy said the price was 4500 RMB which is about 560 US. Not something I'd jump on at that price, just an odd find.

Re: Another odd find in China

Some Gnu-Metal or Gnu-Grunge signature Epi - John somebody-or-other.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Found in china suggests a rip off of sorts. I dont know the legalese of the situation, but Gibson and Epi copies abound in asia. The only way to know for sure is by checking the serial number. The experience you had playing it reinforces that possibility to me. I would beware.

Chuck
      "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

John Connolly from Sevendust has a signature Epiphone with flames and a maple board.

Comment

I have the Epi John Connolly...a very good guitar. They only made them for about a year, and were going for around $700. The real Epi should have a brass nut and have a thinner neck than any other Epi Les Pauls. Great sounding pickups too.

Comment

It DID have a brass nut, and the neck was thinner than I thought a les paul neck should be. I'll be darned, this might be the real thing!

This is the one LP I wouldn't mind having.

Comment

Working...
            X