Opinion needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion needed

Any opinions on Anderson and Suhr guitars? How are they...how are the necks?

Might like to venture out one day.

Thanks
    Monte

Re: Opinion needed

its a coins flip from what i know. i had an early anderson when he would still make them with the explorer type headstock. very nice guitars. i never owned a Suhr guitar but back when he was at Rudys i got a couple of necks made. the fretwork was perfect. they were both custom necks so the specs were mine. but as far as workmanship & quality they were awesome.
    ive played some new andersons no complaints, but im nore of a neckthru player. IMHO they are the 2 finest production bolton guitars out there.
    funny when i bought mine it was like $600.

Comment

I've owned maybe 6-7 Suhr guitars including 2 customs.
      I love them.
      They are pricy but amazing quality.
      The Neck shape(Even C Slim) is similar to San Dimas Charvel.
      Fretwork is great and plays like dream.
      If you could get a used one for $1200-1500, great deal since new ones will cost around $2000 and up.
      Also John Suhr is very helpful.
      You can reach him by e-mail or his message board.

Anderson, I had several.
      Very nice finish and sound.
      The neck shape didn't do for me..

Steve (Speed Monkey) should be able to tell you how much he loves his Andersons.. but where is he? I haven't seen him for a long time.

Comment

thanks guys. i may look into them if i see them in some of the local stores.

Toru...I spoke to Steve 2 days ago. He is fine. His computer got a really bad virus...so he is out of internet commission for a while.

Monte

Comment

I hsve owned two Andersons so far. Both were fantastic. I still have one...I had to sell the other to pay the bills, otherwise I would have kept that one as well. The one I still have is pretty much from the first run. It is from November '86. It has a newer neck though. Tom built me a replacement neck for it a few year ago to my specs. So, I guess it is a mix of old and new. EVerything on it is amazing. I found it used and in pieces. The original neck was ruined, and had a new fingerboard added, but not completed. Tom wouldn't fix that one since he is picky about the quality of the pieces he puts out and didn't want to work on something that someone already ruined. Since he remembered building my guitar he offered to build me a replacement...something he doesn't do. Not only did he build me a replacement to my spec, but he had me send the rest of the guitar to him so that he could build it precisely to fit the body. He then reassembled the whole thing, gave it the Buzz Feiten system and matched the headstock to the 18 yr old paint on the body. It essentialy came back as a new Anderson. I love his stuff.

I have also played Suhrs guitars when he was at Rudy's and they were called Pensa-Suhr. Also phenomenal.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Any opinions on Anderson and Suhr guitars? How are they...how are the necks?

Might like to venture out one day.

Thanks
            Monte

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Monte -

I do love my Andersons, although I've sold off pretty much everything and kept only the Anderson Cobra (short scale Les Paulish thingy....AWESOME guitar....) Didn't sell them because I didn't like them - the Hollow Drop Top was / is just insane...

My computer completely self destructed BTW....reduced to Library use at the moment....hope alls well with youse guys [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Later ~
            Steve E

Comment

Monte,

I have an Anderson Classic and a Suhr Classic, both of which were purchased used. The Suhr was sent bsck to the factory for a neck swap (it had a big V on it before) to a C slim taper with rosewood board. It's due back this week, so I'll review the neck for you. My Anderson has an Anderson standard cut, 11 - 14 radius taper, 1 11/16 at the nut. It is a very comfortable neck, very fast. I can switch effortlessly from the GMWs to the Anderson. Having said that, there are some differences. The Anderson has less 'shoulders' than Charvel, GMW, ESP, etc. It is more of a Fender-type neck. By that I mean the thickest part of the neck is under the D & G strings. It is more of a C shape. The GMWs have more of a D shape -- the neck reaches it's thickest part under the A and B strings, and kind of flattens out between the two. I asked John Suhr about this one time, and he echoed these comments. The was also someone (Dinkyjacksonman, I think) who said his Suhr necks were similar to his GMW. Tom Anderson will build to your needs, all you have to do is ask. He is on the Anderson Guitar Forum quite regularly, and John Suhr is on the Suhr guitar forum a lot. Both are extremely nice and open to questions. Here are links to both forums, and some pics of my Anderson and Suhr. Hope this helps!

http://andersonforum.com/board/index.php
              http://www.online-discussion.com/Suhr/

-Mark

Comment

By the way, since the photos were taken, the Anderson had the bridge pickup swapped out with a Duncan 59. It is a very versatile guitar. Tom Anderson has it the cicuitry set up with 500K pots, which is optimal for the bridge humbucker, but the single coils 'see' the pots as 250K, which is optimal for them. John Suhr does this as well. You can go from the fattest humbucker tones to great clean single coil tones with the flick of the pickup switch. I love it.

-Mark

Comment

Working...
                X