Malmsteen strats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malmsteen strats

Anyone have much experience with these? I played one at NAMM and was surprised at how much I liked it. My concern is if you get used to one is it weird to play regular guitars, without the scallops? That was kinda my experience after I only played a 7 string for a couple weeks then went back. Anyway been thinking about one of these but cant believe they go for 11-1200 on ebay when you can buy a new one for 13 something.
    Chris
    http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Re: Malmsteen strats

They do not get good reviews on harmony-central.

There was a previous post on this forum in this catagory that you may want to look up. Those guys liked them.

There definitely is an adjustment to be made going to or from a scalloped neck. Each one will feel weird for a while while you adjust.
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I played one not too long ago. It's quite a comfortable guitar to play, but it may take time to get used to the scallops, i noticed that it was a bit harder to play as i'm used to a regular fret board. The sound is pretty good too, you can get a nice clean sound and a dirty sound that's just dirty that is dirty enough to play chunky rhythms but still kinda clean.
      93 USA Soloist EDS
      USA HT6 Juggernaut
      Charvel DK24FR

Comment

The problem isn't feel. The problem is EQ'ing your amp. Unless you play other strats with stacked humbuckers or singles you will have to re-eq your amp when you switch guitars, especially if you go to a guitar with traditional humbuckers. If you raise the action (string height to fretboard) on your non-scalloped guitars you will find a smoother transition between scalloped and non-scalloped. Another minor stumbling block is the fact that Malmsteen strats have 21 frets. Going from 21 to 22 is cool but going from 21 to 24 is a heck of a positional jump in both high register soloing and especially high register bending. Yngwie uses 8's so that he can hit the high notes. Most guys don't use 8's.

Comment

What John said....
          I haven't noticed a major eq problem when I switch guitars but I use different effect presets for some guitars so I just dial in what I want for my YJM before I even play and save that preset. The YJM guitars play as good or better than any Fender Strat I've played or owned; right up there with my SRV. I really love the tone of the Dimarzio pups in the YJM; not too dirty, great clan tone, and when I push them, they sound really heavy thru my triple rect.
          The scallops didn't take me too long to get used to but I had owned a few scalloped necked guitars prior to the YJM. The neck feels great and transitioning from the YJM to other guitars isn't a big deal but I run the action on my C/J/GMW strats and Soloists in such a way that they feel similar to the YJM.

Comment

Malmsteen Strats Rule! Play Loud! sounds good doesn't it? I have two of them. I liked the first one so much, I bought a second one. One has the rosewood and the other maple. If your used to Jackson necks the fret board radius is tighter on the Malmsteen. I have no problems switching back an forth. You just have to remind yourself when playing open position chords to not press the strings too hard like you would on a non-scalloped board. A little mental reminder when switching back and forth.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

The YJM is a great Strat. I had one for a while - sold it here in fact. The only reason I sold it is that I got a Grosh with scalloped frets that just freakin' kills.

I actually prefer shallower scallops than the current YJM. The MIJ Blackmore Strat has graduated scallops and it's fantastic feeling. The older USA YJM Strats have shallower scallops and modern bridges - I like those better as well.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I like the newer necks with the deeper scallops. The older ones I like a bit better for transitional purposes to non scalloped guitars but it is a thing you just get used too I guess. I have a USA YJM neck on an american strat with a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the neck. Whenever I pick it up I cant put it down.

It is the one on the left here.

I tis strung with 9's. I use 10's on everything else...

Comment

There was a guy parting one out the other day on ebay... The neck was going fro $425 last I checked. I got mine for around that with the tuners and nut. They are hard to find parted out though...

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...303996689&rd=1

Guess I got a good deal on mine... This one sold for almost $700!!!! Maybe I should part it out.... lol.

Comment

I got Hippietims and swapped necks with one I already had. (Sonic Blue/maple board - Vintage White/rosewood board) I really liked 'me both but kept the VW one and the swapped maple board.
                      Like a few have said before, you're rig will need tweaking and it plays better with lighter gauge strings (with a higher action IMO)

Comment

I'm new here, but have owned a few YJM's.
                        Great guitars and a breeze to get used to.
                        Probably one of Fender's best kept secrets..../

Comment

I have a beautiful sonic blue Malmsteen Strat and it plays like a dream. I never had any problem getting used to it but I agree that you will probably have to do some seious tweaking of your settings if you switch guitars.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...303996689&rd=1

Guess I got a good deal on mine... This one sold for almost $700!!!! Maybe I should part it out.... lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn!! I could've bought a YJM strat for $650 about 3 months ago.. I guess I should've and parted it out.

Comment

I used to have two of them. A vintage white with maple board and a sonic blue with a rosewood board. Both played, sounded great. The scalloping helped me become a better player by forcing me to finger the notes correctly. It improved my playing a lot.
                              However, I missed feeling the wood under my fingers so I sold them. No regrets. They did their job.
                              Just be aware that the pickups are very, very quiet.

Comment

Working...
                              X