• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pat Lachman now with ESP Guitars?

Scroll down to the bottom of this pic.

It's from this page:

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_standard.htm

When did he switch? Wasn't satisfied with his Soloists and stubby Jackson SG-thingy, so now he's playing an ESP Viper?

Re: Pat Lachman now with ESP Guitars?

And yet another [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] sellout [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

I think He went with ESP from last year when The Damageplan was still touring.
      I saw pics of him holding ESP several months ago.

Comment

As far as I see it... It really doesn't matter what guitar someone plays as long as they can play it well. Right?

Comment

If Fender want Jackson/Charvel to get more popular with people, their going to have to get more endorsers and keep the endorsers happy instead of letting them go off to ESP. I'm seeing more and more kids with ESP's than Jacksons recently and although it's just a guitar company, it's always cool to see people play Jacksons live.
          93 USA Soloist EDS
          USA HT6 Juggernaut
          Charvel DK24FR

Comment

InFlamed.....it's more about comapny pride, rather than what the endorser plays. Especially when we have all these sellouts migrating from Jackson to ESPee. It's about keeping that particular guitar company in the limelight.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              And yet another [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] sellout [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]I don't think that's fair. FMIC and Jackson/Charvel have pretty much abandoned the endorsement field to ESP. A guy like Pat in particular, who's employed by big stars but is a working-class musician, has to do what he can to keep afloat in his career. He's not working a day job, he has to survive on his music endeavors and the difference between having an endorsement and not could be survival. Jackson/Charvel endorsements are the stingiestin the biz. If a player can "afford" to keep that cheapoendorsement, good for him. If another player goes to ESPto make a little money or get some free guitars becasue he needs to, why call him a sellout? These artists don't owe us or Jackson anything, it's their lives not ours.Sorry to read your new sig though, Ken. All out of Warriors? That sucks! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Rich....I don't suppose you agree with company pride then?
                Why go with the company that's willing to pay you (selling out) to use their guitars, rather than play what you love to play? I'm just grumbling that all these former Jackson players are now going to the "enemy". And most likely badmouthing J/C in the process.

Oh yeah ...Warriors all gone. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
                Rob (Inearthed) got my #1 now.
                My g/f tells me sometime this spring, I'll be able to order anything I want from the CS (within reason, of course...LOL!)

Comment

Well, each person makes their own decision. I wouldn't call you a sellout just because you sold all your Warriors, or suggest you change your username to just X7.Look at it this way; I'd bet you sold your guitars because your son is more important. I don't know if Pat has kids, but if he switched to ESP becasue it helped him take care of such theoretical kids, would you still have a problem? We have no idea why he switched, but it's his decision, and again, you working a day job and indulging in what's a hobby for you, may be in a better position to stay loyal than he is, who depends on income from music only.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Actually Rich...ya got me...
                    I sold out too. I actually sold my last Warrior to invest in a Gibson Firebird. I'm leaving the hardcore/metal world to return to playing in a classic rock cover project. An aggressive guitar like a Warrior won't cut it in a classic rock unit, and to afford my Firebird, I had to sell my last Warrior.

I don't know why Pat made the switch like he did...but I sincerely doubt he's living off the income that ESP may be paying him to endorse their guitars. He's making a hell of a lot more money than me right now...I think he can still play what he wants.

Comment

I don't know Pat Lachman, but I grew up in the same neighborhood in Portland, Oregon, and knew his older brother Tim--who was a real a**hole, unfortunately, but we were just kids. Tim was a metal singer in some Seattle band many years ago. It's interesting to see somebody from my neighborhood become semi-famous as a musician. Wasn't that supposed to be me? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Actually, I'm almost surrounded by metal semi-fame. The core of the band Black'n'Blue went to my high school a few years before me, though they didn't live in my neighborhood.

As far as Pat going with ESP, I look at it this way: if some company is going to supply me with a steady stream of FREE guitars made pretty much the way I want, you're fukkin' right I'm going to endorse them!! FMIC has obviously made a business decision to scale back even further from J/C's previously stingy endorsement policy--I guess we just have to trust that a company full of people with years of experience marketing musical instruments knows what it is doing, though it does make me [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

It's not 1983 anymore, when J/Cs were such an exotic and unique product that rock stars were beating down the factory door just to get one and pay for it. But I've noticed that even Ibanez doesn't seem to be going as endorsement crazy as it used to. ESP seems to be the endorsement hog now.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Actually Rich...ya got me...I sold out too. I actually sold my last Warrior to invest in a Gibson Firebird. I'm leaving the hardcore/metal world to return to playing in a classic rock cover project. An aggressive guitar like a Warrior won't cut it in a classic rock unit, and to afford my Firebird, I had to sell my last Warrior.I don't know why Pat made the switch like he did...but I sincerely doubt he's living off the income that ESP may be paying him to endorse their guitars. He's making a hell of a lot more money than me right now...I think he can still play what he wants.

[/ QUOTE ]Ken, you're not a sellout, you're doing what you have to do. You can't afford the luxury of playing a Jackson right now with what you need to do, that's all. As for Pat, Damageplan is dead, Halford's back in Priest,neither went platinum AFAIK, so he isn't necessarily rolling in the dough. I'm just saying, I love Jacksons,but the company isn't signing blood oaths with its endorsed artists, why should they take the blood oath to Jackson? It bothered me more a couple of years ago but even then I felt the reason was Jackson thinking it doesn't need endorsees. For these artists, I figure it'stheir lives, not mine; as long as they still play great and kick ass, I don't much care anymore. If their music goes to shit, THEN they've sold out. Taking an endorsement is just an income supplement. Yeah he's not living on it, but let's say it pays the kid's daycare for the year - that would be significant, right? So many people have gone to ESP that it's not much stigma anymore to jump ship. Jackson obviously doesn't care, why should we? Anyway, good luck with the classic rock covers, you can make some dough with that at least, no money in extreme metal on the local level unless you like playing for beer and drugs. Congrats on the Firebird too, they're awesome axes too!
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

The other thing to think about is that a lot of the artists that used to endorse Jackson left other brands to come to Jackson... maybe they sold out then? Maybe Jackson was their second choice, but was the only place that would give them the endorsement?

A lot of professionals view their instuments as tools of the trade, not something they "love". An ESP is just as good as a Jackson, just different. If they can hadle that difference, and it helps their career, it's smart for them to do it. Remember, not only are they getting free or discounted gutiars, but they are getting free promotion. Being in the ESP catalog and in the ESP ads helps the artist too. If Pat stayed playing his Jacksons, he would be losing out on the publicity, which hurts his career.

Music is a business and company loyalty (uunfortuneatly) will not get you far...
                          ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

i agree, and ultimately a guitar is a tool. we all like certain brands for certain reasons, but really a guitar is a piece (or pieces) of painted wood with strings attached. i make the same music on my jacksons that i used to make on my ESPs and ibanezs.
                            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

It is not if ESP makes instruments with no quality... ESP has fine quality the knock on ESP is they have nothing original and that is true no doubt... But it is a business decision and he isn't giving up quality he is just making money..
                              I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                              So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Working...
                              X