Vote now (hot rod Strat creations)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vote now (hot rod Strat creations)

Here is what I had in mind for my next guitar. It's going to be built entirely from Warmoth parts to my specs, but I can't decide between these two in terms of fretboard inlays. Warmoth will do MOP/abalone dots or pearloid sharkfins, but not full MOP/abalone sharkfins.

The poll is at the bottom of this post. Vote there!

Hardware on this guitar includes a black 1 5/8ths inch Original Floyd Rose nut width, black non-recessed Original Floyd Rose, truss rod adjust at the headstock, black Gotoh or Grover tuners (undecided right now), black dome knobs, SS6115 jumbo stainless steel fret wire (.107" x .052"), black APCs or EMGs (if EMGs, EMG-SPC and EMG-EXG circuits replacing the tone knobs), black-tipped 5-way megaswitch, huge black strap pins, no pickguard (rear routing), no binding.

Body wood is undecided. I either want to go with a solid or hollow maple body, or a solid swamp ash body, or a solid alder body. Black, obviously. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The neck pocket will be angled to accommodate the non-recessed Floyd Rose.

Neck will be maple, standard-thin profile, 1 5/8ths inch nut width, with ebony fretboard and undecided inlays (see poll). 22 frets, 10"-16" compound radius.
    Pearl/abalone dot inlays
    0%
    Pearloid/synthetic sharkfin inlays
    0%

Re: Vote now (hot rod Strat creations)

i don't like the sharkies on a strathead.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Has anybody ever even seen sharkfins on a strathead neck? Doesn't HAVE to be Jackson. Just wondering if it's ever been done. Might be kinda unique if I went with that! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I kinda like it better with the dots, but the sharks would be a cool touch, too.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I don't like sharks on a starthead either. How about reversing that headstock?

Comment

Not a fan of reversed headstocks, especially a strathead one. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Comment

I think reversed stratheadstocks look cooler! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
              Hey, how come I can't see the results of the poll after voting?
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I like the sharkies, I've never seen a strat head with them , I think it looks cool.
                If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I'd go with a macassar ebony board or black ebony, and just side dots. Just a flat empty board.
                  Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Alrighty, here's the same thing except with a blank ebony board, compared with the other two designs for comparison:

Comment

I voted dots....real pearl sharkfins maybe, but not pearloid...and dots on a strathead are cool....

How much will it all be you think?

Comment

How About No inlays!
                        That looks great to me.
                        Also matching headstock color.
                        So it will look really Black. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        You like Black so why not? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                        As for the body,Why not try something rare like Koa or Korina?

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] No idea how much, but I presume maybe around $1400 Canadian, since that was about how much my brother's Warmoth Dinky Precision Bass costed.

I WISH Warmoth did real MOP sharkfins. Not sure why they don't!

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/...eaction=inlays

About halfway down the page, they say custom inlay (which is basically anything except standard dots) is all synthetic material, and that dark boards (like ebony and rosewood) are inlaid with synthetic MOP. Cheese. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Probably too much work for them. Oh well.

Hmm, I might want a maple board with synthetic ebony sharkfins, but still sticking with the strathead. I'll whip up one of those creations. Here we go:

Toru, I'm trying to keep it cheap, so no exotic woods this time. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Yes, I love all-black, but strangely enough, there's nothing quite like the natural maple look of a plain strathead! Really, I like the body of the guitar to remain solid black, but I'm quite flexible with the neck and headstock. I've owned rosewood fretboard guitars before. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

OK, You officially need the Iron Maiden Graphic LTD on E-bay instead.
                            [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

There are Stratheads out there with sharks...I've had a couple of them. Sharks look out of place on a strathead. Further, have you looked at Warmoths sharks on a neck? They look like ass.
                              I think you should go with ebony and no inlays with a black headstock as Toru suggested.

Comment

Working...
                              X