Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a Star...

Evening all!

So far I have a lefty Mighty Mite neck, plus all the chrome hardware I took off my KV4 when I put black hardware on it...

I'm going to get me an alder Star body from Wayne's UK website - £220, that's about US$400, which ain't too bad here - but I dunno what way to go with the trem.

See, I also have a chrome vintage trem from an old Aria Pro II, and it'd be cooler to have that on it, plus it means I wouldn't have to put the locking nut on the neck (which is a really nice neck, by the way)... but I think I may regret not going with the Floyd down the line.

The other side to that is that I need lefty tuners anyways, so I'm gonna have to buy those no matter what, and seeing as I've never been a big fan of chrome, I would probably end up buying black ones and then I'd have to buy a trem to match. Decisions, decisions!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

What would you guys do?

Cheers,
    Steve.

Re: Building a Star...

Go with the floyd, forget about the locknut, and since you gotta buy tuners anyway, get some locking ones.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Decide on the trem based on how much you actually use it, and whether or not you keep a trem on a guitar just for the tuning stability or "it's there when you want it".
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'd go with the floyd. I built a star out of an ESP neck and an old charvel body. It had a floyd for a bridge, which I liked a lot. I wound up selling the guitar because I couldn't get used to the body.

-Mark

Comment

ide probably go to GMW for a body. they are cheaper & will be a better fit with the MM neck. Also waynes bodys need to be shimed for floyds he doesnt do angled neck pockets.

Comment

V-trem!!

http://www.chuckscharvels.com/black_star.htm

Comment

Thanks for the opinions guys... I checked the neck pocket on the Wayne body and it's 2 1/2" and of course the MM neck is 2 3/16" (thanks for pointing that out, j2379!) - will this cause much of a problem or will I just have a small gap either side of the neck?

I'm still undecided about the trem though - I'm leaning towards the vintage trem at the mo, keeping it old school... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
              Steve.

Comment

5/16" is quite a bit. Thats more than I would be comfortable with if I was building a guitar but that doesnt mean it wouldnt work.

Id go with a vintage trem. They always sound the best to me.

Comment

Sorry, I meant 2 1/4"!!! Curse my inability to type... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,
                  Steve.

Comment

Working...
                  X