Dean Schenker, anyone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dean Schenker, anyone...

I've read three other reviews that coincide with your comments. The neck shape is an odd choice because the Gibson Vs used by Schenker, including the Medallion series, did not have V shaped neck profiles.

As for the tone, this is a classic case of advertising hype. "Buy the MSV and get instant Schenker tone." This goes for damn near any artist. I don't know of a single guitar and pickup combination (well, maybe a Strat or Tele with single coils) that by themselves, will give a signature artist tone. Try this, roll back on your bridge tone and then engage your Crybaby, but leave it rocked back and see if that helps. If not, I guess you're gonna have to buy a 50 watt Marshall to complete the ensemble. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    "POOP"

Comment

Shawn,
      It's a nice guitar for sure.

I am still trying to get used to that Dean Headstock but it looks just so weird since I am used to play Strathead and Jackson head.
      Pickups can be replaced cheap but the headstcok can not.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Try this, roll back on your bridge tone and then engage your Crybaby, but leave it rocked back and see if that helps.

[/ QUOTE ]
        [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Yea, that is what I am going to do.
        cut off some Tone level on my bridge pickup would be the way or break the headstock off several times like Michael did with his guitars back in 80's so the guitar can sound like his....
        [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

He's so damn broke now you could probably pay him $50 to sit behind your stack and play while you pretend in front of the mirror. That too, may help the sound.
          Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

I should e-mail him...
            [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Give him enough coinage to buy a razor, a cooler hat, and better wardrobe. Remind him that he's over 50. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              "POOP"

Comment

OK!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  He's so damn broke now you could probably pay him $50 to sit behind your stack and play while you pretend in front of the mirror. That too, may help the sound.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Oh, that's funny.

Mike
                  Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I'm waiting to see Dean do the Schenker model with the same half and half but with a flamed or quilted top. Now that would be sweet ... not that the guitar is not cool enough as it is, I want one of the imports.

In fact I went over to a Guitar Center last week (it's a block away from where I work, don't blame me) and asked if they were getting them in. Their responce was "Sorry man, we don't carry Dean," then he continued "we have lots of V's though, have a look at the Gibsons or the Epiphones." F-ck that, I want a Dean dammit!
                    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

I've been a Schenker-head since the late '70's, so I was pretty curious to check one out. There's a signed one (serial # in the '50's) at a Music Go Round near me, and I sure wasn't blown away, especially for the price. I kind of liked the V neck since I like old 50's V neck Strats. But the guitars just didn't seem like a $4k guitar, seemed like something that would sell for a grand.

If he used one of these on The Endless Jam Continues, then I dunno. His guitar tone on that CD sounds terrible.

Comment

I'm a huge Schenker fan from way back, and to me it's sad that he is doing this just for the money. and, it's sad that he needs the money that bad at this point to have to do this. I have never liked the looks of Deans, I know they are made well, and have handled/played a few, but they just leave me flat. same with this "MSV." to me it's ugly and not Schenker at all.

Gibson should be embarrassed that they did not do something with Schenker, he has probably sold more V's for them in 30 years than they ever would have on their own. incredibly foolish for them to ignore him like they have.
                        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Gibson should be embarrassed that they did not do something with Schenker, he has probably sold more V's for them in 30 years than they ever would have on their own. incredibly foolish for them to ignore him like they have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I stated in a previous post, my sources in the custom shop said that the Gibson exec's just couldn't deal with the nut. Michael's always been flaky and it's not the image they wanted to endorse.

But you're right. His skills sold countless Vs. I almost believe that they could have kept Schenker out of the spotlight and still sold a shitload of signature models. Guess we'll never know.
                          "POOP"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            the Gibson exec's just couldn't deal with the nut. Michael's always been flaky and it's not the image they wanted to endorse.

[/ QUOTE ]
                            [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] that is true, likely the practicalities of dealing with him would have scotched any arrangement, but the fact remains that one of their biggest selling tools (he was, whether they did a deal w/ him or not) is now playing a copy with a headstock that looks exactly the opposite of how it should look.
                            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Working...
                            X