Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steinberger GT4M review... transtrem! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steinberger GT4M review... transtrem! :)

Been holding off on this for awhile, until I got acclimated to the guitar. This is WAY different than anything else I have, and so I wanted to wait until I had some time with it before I gave first impressions. If you don't know what these are... it's a composite neck/fingerboard, no truss rod, that holds pretty damn straight (there is a tiny bit of relief) and never needs adjusting. This is bolted onto a wooden semi-strat shaped body made of maple I believe. There is no headstock, the guitars use strings with balls on both ends, and has 40:1 tuners at the bridge that turn kinda like the fine tuners on a JT6 trem, but more movement and a LOT better feel.

The pickups are EMG 81/SA/SA actives, 5 way switch and volume and tone control. Pretty normal electronics.

Now for the cool thing - the transtrem. It's kinda kahlerish, which in my opinion sucks... but the trem, once set, can change the pitch of ALL SIX STRINGS at the same rate. So... you can pull the bar up and whatever strings you're holding will go up 'in tune' like you used a slide. If this wasn't cool enough, you also can lock the trem into different positions and the guitar transposes itself. Stock you can go into locked position (where the trem doesn't float and it's in 'E' standard) - down to D, where an E chord open with all six strings actually sounds like a D, and then C. Up you can go to F# and G. The song "summer nights" by van halen uses one of these guitars - he locks it in 'G' and then plays open chords for the intro, then later on unlocks it down to E. He also uses the way the notes stay in tune as you whammy it on "get up" - both songs from the 5150 album.

The guitar also has a spring tension knob under the trem - this is great for setting the guitar to Eb whammy, then you can lock the guitar into 'E' standard position. great for learning covers that are dropped in pitch. Then you can retune the entire guitar back up pretty easily.

Ok, so the guitar has all sorts of crazy stuff. How is it really? I love it. The neck never changes - if you like low action, you're always on the edge of buzz depending on climate changes or temperature. Ever tune your guitar perfectly at a gig, then get it under some hot stage lights and it changes? Ain't gonna happen with the composite neck.

The TransTrem has to be adjusted to work properly, and it's a bitch. I'll never complain about setting up a floyd rose ever again. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The guitar sounds great too - not as sterile as some have said, maybe I got lucky with a magical wood body, I dunno. The guitar does sound weird acoustically - each note is pretty even in tone and timbre, no dead spots or 'wolf tones' where one note jumps out. The neck is really flat too - action is even all up the neck. My wolfgang holds a better action, but it's a near supernatural guitar... has the best neck of the 4 I've owned, and the other 3 played great.

Two downsides on the guitar so far... it needs new trem bearings, which are cheap, just a pain to replace. The new ones I'm going to use are sealed, so it should be last time it needs them. They tend to go out every few years, at least the stock 'non sealed' type.

Also, the high E strings have a tendency to pop - they don't like being stretched to G a lot. I've gotten around this by soldering the ball ends of my E strings.

All in all, a great guitar, and should have the same playability/neck shape 30 years from now. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Re: Steinberger GT4M review... transtrem!

Great review!
    I have been reading some other reviews over last 2-3years and it seems that these necks with wood bodies would be the choice for me.
    I had a box looking one(Steinberger copy) in 1986 and loved it but I had hard time looking for new strings. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

After I get my other Jackson which is on order ,a Steinberger with trans trem will be the only thing I will ever need after all.
    I want one!!!
    [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey Twister, Great review! Did you get one of the new Musicyo ones or is this one of the older Steinbergers? I have lusted after these guitars since the 5150 album came out but have yet to see one in person.

It sounds like you set the transtrem up yourself, I have heard that it needs to be done by a tech with experince workin on Transtrems. My question is, can a guy with experience working on Floyds pull it off or will it need to be done by a Transtrem expert. Thanks, Billy

Comment

I had a GL-4T (the little "paddle guitar") with the TransTrem on it many years ago. My impressions were similar to yours, except that I could never figure out how to adjust the fukking TransTrem properly! However, I was a bit 'in the dark' on guitar tech at the time, so maybe I would have better luck now.

Mine did an odd thing where the B-string would only transpose 1/2 step when the bridge as a whole was downtuned a whole step. And I mean it was an *exact* half step. It was either because the TransTrem was out of alignment or because the guitar may not have had the calibrated strings on it--I can't remember now. Didn't work well for transposing the guitar, obviously, but it really created some cool steel-guitar effects and odd chord transitions. I wrote an entire song based around that misfunction in the TransTrem, where I held a chord in place while transposing down a whole step--except for that half-step on the B-string. It created a great little chord progression. I doubt that song could ever be recreated properly on any other guitar in existence!

I've considered getting another one, but I'm sort of a Soloist guy now.

Comment

Long time lurker here...

I assume due to the fact there is no truss rod then it would be an original Steinberger. The newer Music Yo USA models have composite necks with truss rods made by Moses. Also to clarify, the Trans Trem can transpose up to F# + G. It also transposes down to D, C + B.

The features of the guitar were way ahead of it's time. Doubleball strings for easy string changes, headless to make for better balance, composite materials for rigidity, transposing trem that locks in 6 positions... I'm sure there is stuff I'm missing.

I have owned 2 of the Music Yo GM4T guitars and loved them. I ended up sending them both back due to issues with fretwork. I have now decided to wait for the Type 3 Trans Trem. Although a couple of years off, Ned is making improvements to the current design.

It's a great guitar and you made a good purchase. If you're not familiar with these sites, check out steinbergerworld.com and the Steinberger Yahoo group. Tons of info on how to set these guitars up and maintenance/repair.

Comment

Hey guys! A few notes in no real order...

Mine is an 80s Newburgh model. Reviews on the MusicYo models varied, so I was a little hesitant about those. I may pick one up eventually though.

The biggest thing on the transtrem setup is to tune the guitar in locked E with a chromatic accurate tuner. Then lock it into F#, and use the fine tuning 'screws' behind each string to retune it. You'll have to go back to locked E from time to time to compare... then Do the same thing in locked D. I'm using cheap-ass musicyo double ball strings and it's staying in decent relative tune. I was waiting for the honeymoon period to be over before I go to the more expensive 'calibrated' strings.

One thing that will really screw you up on these guitars is not getting the ball end all the way down into the 'jaw' - I couldn't get the G string to transpose correctly and was going nuts... then I realized the previous owner had left a ball end from a busted string in there, raising it up 1/8" or so out of adjustment.

Setting up the TT is more involved than a floyd, but it's not too bad. I went to steinbergerworld.com and found lots of info there.

Pete

Comment

Hey Pete,

Calibrated strings are a must for proper Trans Trem operation. Although it sounds like you knew that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Have you seen the video of Ned demonstrating how to adjust/set up the trans trem? I thought it was on the Steinberger World site somewhere. He makes it look so easy [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

And it's heavy as shit! With all the "missing" parts, you wouldn't think so. But the composite material neck and Maple body make it so.

I hated to get rid of the TransTrem, but I sold my GM4T because it was just uncomfortable to me — strings were too high over the body, the middle pickup constantly got in the way, neck heel was too large, frets were kinda small, and it was too heavy like I said. Just IMO. I'm glad you're enoying yours! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  hated to get rid of the TransTrem, but I sold my GM4T because it was just uncomfortable to me — strings were too high over the body, the middle pickup constantly got in the way, neck heel was too large, frets were kinda small, and it was too heavy like I said. Just IMO. I'm glad you're enoying yours! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll admit a beef or two I had with the GM4T was the small Gibson sized frets and the middle pick-up being in the way of picking.

If I lowered the middle pick-up all the way it wasn't too bad. I am an advocate of 22 frets though due to the sound difference of the neck pick-up and the placement of the middle pick-up. I wish I could afford a custom guitar like a cross between a Steinberger and my Suhr.

Comment

Oh, I forgot that I broke the tone pot shaft and replaced it with an EXG (which I guess made it the equivalent of a GM4TA). That was a pretty neat thing.

I think they went with the smaller frets because of the Zero fret design. Seems like they could'a used a custom "even larger than jumbo" fret wire for the Zero, but I guess just felt it was easier to go with what was readily available. I'd have preferred a Fender-style brass nut.

I actually routed down about a quarter-inch in the middle pickup cavity, then lowered the pickup flush with the top. I never got around to re-wiring it as a 3-way, which made it a little weird.
                    please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      And it's heavy as shit! With all the "missing" parts, you wouldn't think so. But the composite material neck and Maple body make it so.

I hated to get rid of the TransTrem, but I sold my GM4T because it was just uncomfortable to me — strings were too high over the body, the middle pickup constantly got in the way, neck heel was too large, frets were kinda small, and it was too heavy like I said. Just IMO. I'm glad you're enoying yours! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... different strokes for different folks. My steinberger isn't any heavier than my other guitars, with the exception of my wolfgang and ibanez 560RG. The frets are small compared with Jackson ones, but larger than Fender... I'd call em medium at worst, but not 'small'. Upper fret access doesn't bother me a bit, it's easier than playing high on a les paul, at least for me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Last night at the gig I locked the transtrem up two steps during a song in G and was playing high G (equivalent 27th fret) notes... it was pretty crazy. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Last night at the gig I locked the transtrem up two steps during a song in G and was playing high G (equivalent 27th fret) notes... it was pretty crazy. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cool; I'd like to hear that [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]. I used to love transposing; it totally changed the feel of the guitar and made me play differently. I need another one...

Comment

Working...
                        X