Parker Guitars, your experiences with the High end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parker Guitars, your experiences with the High end

Hi guys, curious as to various takes on Parker Guitars.....

Ive never had the chance to spend time with one, only held one for a min to see how light it was.

The trem seems innovative, as well as the construction. Im guessing it's a low maintenance guitar with its composite neck and SS frets.

There's no where for me to play one around these parts, but Id like to hear various pro's and cons of them. thanks!

Re: Parker Guitars, your experiences with the High end

love em.

i've only played a parker deluxe, and it sounded amazing, played effortlessly, and had the only dimarzios that i've ever liked in it. (they're made for the fly, i guess)

the only thing i don't like about them is the upper horn; the back of it can cut into ya and be a tad uncomfy.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sully, do you own it, or just played? If so, id love to see pictures!!!

Comment

I've played a few of the high end ones - didn't like any of 'em. They played reasonable just sounded terribly thin.

I must admit that I'm intrigued by the P-36 though, I'm a Tele fan after all. This thing is nutty as hell. Has anyone played one of these?

http://www.parkerguitars.com/code/mo..._p36_intro.asp
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I have a Parker Fly Deluxe and I like it a lot so I'll start with the pro's: The guitar is very light and comfortable to wear, it is a versatile instrument especially when using a stereo plug and 2 different amps. The Pizeo pickups are very convincing as an acoustic guitar. I have used the electric pickups slightly chorused and the pizeo into a pa for a nice blend of acoustic and electric sounds. The stock Dimarzios sound pretty good when your rig is tweaked just right. The tremolo works pretty good in combination with the Sperzel locking tuners plus you can lock the bridge for a fixed bridge feel via a switch on the back of the guitar.

The cons: When I sit down the upper horn pokes me in the ribs, standing it isn't a problem. The stock pickups are thin sounding so if you switch guitars with the same presets on your rig you get either get a very thin sound or to much bass. Since the neck is wood wrapped in fiberglass the frets are not set into the neck like a regular wooden neck they are glued to the fiberglass. I bought my guitar used and some of the frets were coming off of the fret board. I called Parker and this didn't seem to surprise them. The fix was to use superglue to reattach the frets. The superglue did the trick but I was left with some residue from the glue on my fret board. I have heard of the frets coming off of other Parkers but I know 2 others with Parker Fly's and neither of them have had this trouble. If you have a particular question shoot it over and I will do my best to answer. Billy

Comment

Thanks Bill...

Ive heard various tales of the frets as well. I think what intrigues me is the fact that it's a guitar that would appeal to someone like me who doesnt/cant do the tech work to keep a guitar performing optimally (keeping a straight neck and perfect frets)

The fact that it can do a little of everything is what interests me, the innovative trem, the lack of adjustments. However, I could also see some MAJOR headaches if the preamps/frets start acting up!!

Would you rather have a new SL2H Custom Shop Soloist, or a new PArker Fly Mojo (with upgraded pups apparently) ??

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Sully, do you own it, or just played? If so, id love to see pictures!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

no, but a friend of mine owns one, and he bought it from another friend of mine who was a parker dealer in the mid 90s. i never noticed any thin sound; it sounded like satan thru a jcm800, but i'll defer to an owner over my limited experience with them. i'd actually like to play one again, though.

sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Would you rather have a new SL2H Custom Shop Soloist, or a new PArker Fly Mojo (with upgraded pups apparently) ??

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a Parker Fly deluxe and that is a hard question to answer. If I had to pick just one it would be the Parker due to its versitility. The older one I have has the lower output pickups. You can get hotter pickups for the older ones. The newer ones come with Duncans and I have not heard them. My biggest complaint is when you sit down it jabs you in the ribs. That and I'm still not real comfortable at playing without fret dots. Damn mental block [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Hammer, all that takes is a lil bit of Vinyl tape or somethign to remedy, but interesting nonetheless to hear it.

Would you mind posting pics in the thread? Also how much did you pay for it, im curious what kind of used prices these are going for, the new ones are not within reason at the moment (2400usd new is tough to swallow when u could get a CS for that :s )

Comment

Rythm guy I play with has one and it will go to his grave. The graphite lends a level of stability which is unheard-of in my neck of the woods. Slim fast neck which is for my taste and I can see why he likes it. The quality is there. The p/ups are a little flat but that is taken care of with a quality eq and amp.

Really a different animal from J/C IMHO, but good stuff when push comes to shove (just not my thing by any stretch but it feels good to play!).
                    "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

i absolutely love them, but instead of getting one, i'd like to incorporate the Wilkinson/Fishman piezo system into my STrat, my PRS CE24, and my Les Paul, they make those for the STrat and LP, but not for the PRS...but of all the ones I've played, the P-44 has been my favorite thus far...

Comment

Re: Parker Guitars, your experiences with the High

I would have a hard time choosing between a new custom shop SL2H and a Parker. To me it would all depend on what guitars you already have, and what style of music you were doing. My Parker is not my main guitar but it does get used a bunch. I am mostly an old school metal guy and I don't think thats where the Parker excells. I also play in a Christian rock band (sorta of a cross between Matchbox 20 and the Cure) and the Parker is perfect for that. You can check out a picture of my Parker and some of my other guitars here

http://community.webshots.com/user/gitarguy1

I bought my Parker in a pawn shop in 1999. I got it for $325.00 with a Parker hard case. I fixed the frets the next day and haven't had a problem since.

Comment

I have played them and read a lot about them.

Duncan has new pick ups for them so they sound better.

But the tremelo has to be modified for the thing to stay in tune. The trems suck for staying in tune. There is a website online that shows you how to do it.

I can't remember the material they make the frets out of but the patricular material they are made out of gives the guitar a thin metalic sound also. Crappy fret material from what I have read.

The neck is very thin and fast but I find it does not provide a good anchor surface for vibrato if you do a lot of vibrato.
                          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

The frets are stainless steel I dont think that would qualify as a crappy material and I have never had a problrm with the tremolo staying in tune but I don't use the trem like I do on the Floyded guitars I have.

Comment

I'm with Gitarguy. Frets are smooth and slick feeling, trem work great

Comment

Working...
                              X