X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pre-Historic Goldtop back home!

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    <font color="aqua">That's a beauty and a great story Doug! Congrats [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Now tell how you ended up with that from Hank Jr. in the first place! </font>

[/ QUOTE ] Well, it'd sure be cool to say we were having a few brews, jammin' out, and he thought my playing was so good he gave me the guitar...but in all reality, it was a simple trade through a third party that knew I had a guitar Hank Jr. was looking for, a 1957 Gibson Southern Jumbo.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">Still a great story bro [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Checking? What exactly is that? Also, does top wrapping really help with tuning issues?

Sorry to hijack and where are my manners? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Great story! Makes 'er a lil' more special now.

[/ QUOTE ] Checking is the cracking of the lacquer finish due to temperature change causing the finish to crack. You can see the results in the 2nd pic. Not sure top-wrapping helps with tuning stability, but it definately has an effect on the "feel" of the strings, and also the tone to a lesser degree.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        Checking? What exactly is that? Also, does top wrapping really help with tuning issues?

Sorry to hijack and where are my manners? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Great story! Makes 'er a lil' more special now.

[/ QUOTE ] Checking is the cracking of the lacquer finish due to temperature change causing the finish to crack. You can see the results in the 2nd pic. Not sure top-wrapping helps with tuning stability, but it definately has an effect on the "feel" of the strings, and also the tone to a lesser degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aaahhh, thanx. Yeah, I saw it in the pics and thought that's what I was seeing. But I was thinking it was something that was done on purpose. You mentioned top-wrapping affects the feel of the strings. How so? Just curious. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
        My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Mark...the top wrap method takes a lot of the tension off the strings, so it feels a lot "slinkier"

Zakk is a popular noted user of the top wrap method...and look at the kinds of bends he does!

Comment

Thanx man! I may have to give it a try. Anything to help with my bends. Well, actually, they're getting better... my finger strength is steadily increasing. Now, vibrato while bending? Holy shit! Tough, tough, tough. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
            My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

i would gladly own this guitar for 1400. excellent work.

Comment

That top wrap method looks intriguing. I may have to try it on my Les Paul's next string change just to try it out and see if there really is less tension, perhaps like playing a floating Floyd where it "works" with you rather than holding against you.

Although... I bought the Les Paul for that reason... so that I don't have to bend as far to achieve the same pitch. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Gorgeous guitar, looks like an aged beauty. [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

jesus I'm jonesing HARD for a goldtop.

Comment

Great story, glad you got her back. that is a sweeet looking Paul, a real beauty. Like someone else said, it looks like a Paul should look! Just looking at it makes we want to put on "Flirtin' with Disaster" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

jim
                    Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Another reason for the top-wrap is so you can screw the tailpiece studs down tight to the body, enhancing sustain, but without having a severe tailpiece to bridge angle. I'm liking it so far.

Comment

Amazing story and a cool guitar. Congrats [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Can someone educate me as to what makes these guitars prehistoric? Are they just the classics before the official introduction of the historic series?

Comment

The term pre-historic relates to post 1982/pre 1992-93 {when the Gibson Custom Shop began} Les Paul reissue style guitars with inked-on serial #'s.

Comment

What's wrong with "severe" tailpiece to bridge angle? I just looked at my Les Paul and imagined what the angle would look like if I cranked the tailpiece down all the way... doesn't really even look that "severe"! I would just think that it would give the bridge and playability a more solid feel since it's REALLY angled past the bridge and won't slip.

Comment

Absolutely nothing "wrong" with it, it's really just a matter of preference. The more severe the tailpiece to bridge angle, the tighter your strings will feel, less angle will feel slinkier. It's all good...

Comment

Working...
                                X