Ibanez 7-Strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez 7-Strings?

The RG7621 in particular. I have ZERO experience with 7-strings and am interested in picking up a decent but inexpensive one in the future. Are these any good and what price can I expect to pay? Also, how do they compare to the Jackson DR7's? Does anyone have any other suggestions as far as a good inexpensive 7-string is concerned?

Thanks~

Re: Ibanez 7-Strings?

The 7620s with the Edge Pro trem are supposed to be GREAT guitars....the Jackson import 7 strings were pieces of crap for the most part, especially compared to the 600 level Ibanez's.

Comment

I had a RG7620 and I thought it was great even with teh stock pickups.
      Direct mounted pickups sounded better than the ones with pickguards like Universe.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm, weren't they in fact dimarzio blaze 2 ?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm, weren't they in fact dimarzio blaze 2 ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they are Blaze 2's according to my research on them. I think the difference is the 7621's are string thru as opposed to having the Trem.

Comment

I have a 7620, and while I haven't pulled the pups I'm pretty sure they're not Blaze IIs but DiMarzio "New 7"s or something like that - JemSite says so as well. The Blazes are on the newer Prestige 7-string models IIRC.
            Anyway, my 7620 plays great. I was quite positively surprised and posted a rather lengthy review at www.sevenstring.org (helpful folks there btw) I'm not going to copy&paste in here [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            I really like it and play it a lot. I'll probably replace the pickups in the future, but the guitar itself is quite nice, except for the plain Jane appearance. No binding, plastic dot inlays (yuck! MSRP 1300$...).

Comment

Do you want a trem or not?
              Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Do you want a trem or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really can't justify a trem. I really don't use one that much. But I am open to having one if I can find a good deal on one. I have been kinda digging thru egay lately and am seeing some come and go. I am selling off a couple of my guitars right now to make a little room for one if I can find it.

Comment

Brad, if you are not sure about Trem, you should go with one with non trem.
                  I think you will find them cheaper.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Brad, if you are not sure about Trem, you should go with one with non trem.
                    I think you will find them cheaper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Toru.... I'd have to agree. I am seeing them much cheaper now that I have started to look. Thanks, Bro!

Comment

could always get a schecter c-7 blackjack

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        could always get a schecter c-7 blackjack

[/ QUOTE ]

Been looking at those, too. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

or if you don't mind cheaper pickups, Ibanez RG7421.

Comment

The RG7620 did have the New 7 pickups. I used to own one of those... nice guitar, nice sounding pickups, I loved the Lo-Pro Edge trem. I wasn't that crazy about the basswood body, but it was a pretty nice guitar overall. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                            I plan on ordering a Carvin 7-string real soon. I'm debating whether I want the licensed Floyd or if I should go with a hardtail. I'm leaning more towards the hardtail.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The Ibanez RG7-62x guitars are really nice. Nicer than the new Universe IMHO, because the neck is just a little thicker, like an older Uni's would be. The direct mount pickups don't make the huge difference to me. The stock pickups are the Dimarzio made New 7's. There are no Blaze II's, just Blazes (they come stock on Universes or you can buy them, they're the same either way). I'm having Christopher Woods build me new alder/purple heart/walnut body for my 7620 right now. I've never played the Jackson 7, but the RG is the real deal, absolutely. Maybe the best guitar buy out there for a 7. Some have bubinga striped 3 piece necks (made after 99, I think) some don't. I can't compare because I've only ever played the older one piece ones, but like I said it's a fantastic neck. I replaced the stock pickups with Bartolinis and a preamp on mine, so the stockers can be improved upon. I think if you get a 7621 without the trem, you'll be very happy with it. I won't be able to side by side my 7620 with my Carvin 727 for about 2 weeks yet, but the Carvin has a bigger neck, and while comfortable isn't the shred machine the 7620 is. You could also get a 7621 and get her a new mahogany replacement body for less than a new Carvin, too, if you were planning on a new Carvin and not pulling one out of the 'Bay.

jim
                              Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Working...
                              X