Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ibanez 7-Strings?

[ QUOTE ]
    the Carvin has a bigger neck, and while comfortable isn't the shred machine the 7620 is.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's the one thing I'll probably dig about the Carvin... the neck is a little rounder, thicker on the back. I really don't care for thin necks any more, even though the 7620 wasn't bad, but I feel more comfortable with a beefier profile these days.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'd like to throw in my .02

Check out necks before you buy. I didn't like the width of a 7 string - I can't remember the model. But it's one of those things you should check out before you buy and find out it isn't right for you.

Comment

If you don't want a trem than you can look at the 7421 also. I was asking because the main reasons the 76xx is better than the 74xx are the trem and the pups. But you don't want a trem, so I would check out a 7421 too (you'll need to replace the pups though). Actually, if you don't want a trem, check out the Washburn WG587 on music123. I have one and it has a chunkier neck than my 7420 had but much better pups.
        Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

What about the Petrucci MM 7 strings?
          Can anyone give us a review on one of those, I'm kind of
          jonesing for a 7 string myself.
          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I had a 2000 RG7620 with the bubinga-striped neck. Nice player and the trem worked very well, but I didn't care for the sound. Just not deep or clear enough.

Supposedly the 7421 has different fixed bridge than the 7621, in addition to the different pickups, but I'm not sure about that personally. I have seen either one locally for quite awhile.

Comment

I've never played a Petrucci, but they're certainly more money than the Ibanez. I also have an Ibanez AX7521 7 string, which is an Artist shape. Nice guitar, but a 24 3/4 scale. I've been meaning to throw it on eBay, but haven't gottenaround to it.
              Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

I should add, you shouldn't buy an AX7521 (or AX7221 for that matter), as the short scale makes the low B floppy. Schecter has some longer scale Korean 7s out now, and there's a good bit of info on sevenstring.org about them. I've never played one, though.

Comment

Also, check out Conklin's 7-strings. The Groove Tools are Korean made to Bill Conklin's specs. They're available with both trem and hardtail.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Can you actually "check out" a Conklin without buying one? I see them pop up on the bay every once in a while, but I've never seen one in a store. Of course, I've never seen an EBMM 7 in a store either. I live in the land of crappy stores, I guess [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I've played used Conklin Groove Tools sevens at stores here in the DC area. I don't like them as much as the Ibanez sevens, personally. They have a very tinny sound, and every one I've played had fret issues. I'm sure the Conklin custom shop sevens are a different matter altogether, but then you're talking about $$$$$$

Comment

Yeah, with the Ibanez RG7's you get a lot of guitar for your money. They go pretty cheaply used.

Comment

Working...
                        X