Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any body know who made Hamer Pickups, Dimarzio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any body know who made Hamer Pickups, Dimarzio?

Picked up a parts guitar on ebay and it has a Hamer pickup that looks alot like a Dimarzio. It is a PAF looking humbucker with a Hamer stamp on the back that looks just like a Dimarzio Stamp. So the question is did dimarzio ever make pickups for Hamer?
    Damn, I love this Interweb.

Re: Any body know who made Hamer Pickups, Dimarzio?

I know Hamer did indeed use DiMarzio pups in the early days. Not sure if they made them for them with a Hamer stamp on them, but I guess it's possible.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Re: Any body know who made Hamer Pickups, Dimarzio

hamer used duncans at least all of mine fromt he mid80's had duncans, then i think schallers

Comment

Found this on Vintage Guitar Magazine's web site.

"Hamer gave its specifications to the young pickup maker Larry DiMarzio, who began making versions of his own DiMarzio PAFs to Hamer’s spec, with a de-wound neck pickup. This differed from the approach favored by most others at the time, which was to leave a PAF at the neck and add an even hotter DiMarzio Super Distortion to the bridge. Eventually, Hamer began to stamp its name into the baseplates of the pickups, and these would come to be known as Hamer Slammer pickups (they don’t rhyme!). "

Comment

Interesting. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I knew about the Slammer pups but thought they were of a little lower quality.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

A PAF and a SD make a great combination in a mahogany bodied/mahogany necked guitar. Anyway, the folks at DiMarzio will talk your ear off if you call them up, so you cam always call them directly if you want with these kinds of questions.
            Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Here's a pic of the back.

Comment

The very first Hamer pickups were actually rewound Gibson PAFs, done by Larry DiMarzio. Jol Dantzig obtained them from the Gibson factory when he was doing warranty repair/restoration work for them. They then used DiMarzio proprietary pickups based on the PAF design before using Duncans later.

This is according to the Hamer Story DVD I got at the last NAMM Show.

Comment

<font color="aqua">I have one of those as well:

</font>
                  Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Hamer also used Schaller humbuckers abd OBL pickups. I have owned many Hamers and have used all of these pickups, and I like the OBL 900XL the best. The OBL was made in Germany by Bill Larences German company. Jack.

Comment

I have a Hamer Slammer in the bridge of my Chaparral and I never really liked it. It's interesting that it's made my Dimarzio.

Comment

Yup, first pickups were Gibson "patent applied for" is what I read.

Comment

I just emailed a picture to Dimarzio and asked if they made it and this was their response.

"Looks like one of ours from around 1980. If the magnet is ceramic, it’s a Super 2 (DP104) built on PAF hardware. If it’s alnico, it’s an overwound PAF (DP103).

How can you tell ifa pickup is an alnico or ceramic?

Comment

I need a couple of these Slammer pickups. PM me if you want to sell yours (or trade)

Comment

Keith - Alnico magnets are usually the poles themselves, while ceramic magnets are a bar-type along the bottom of the coils.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X