New Toy: Ibanez SZ540QM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Toy: Ibanez SZ540QM

Ever wish you had a Les Paul that played like and Ibanez? Me too, hehe. Bought this the other day and it just arrived. Did some "personalization" and ended up with this [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I have been researching this for a couple of weeks now and the buzz has been very positive on these. My take is that it is definitely a Korean guitar, multi-piece mahogany body and neck, crappola pickups but that's where it ends. This thing has a solid carved quilted maple top that is NOT a laminate. I confirmed this while changing out the pickups, looks to be somthething like 1.5" in the middle. Craftsmanship is excellent and the look and feel are way above it's price. It is definitely not a $3000 guitar but for under $500 it is hard to beat. I threw a set of Gibson pickups I had around and it just totally came to life. The stock Ibanez pickups were bumming me out, they HAD to go asap, lol. Changed the wiring a little from stock to suit my tastes, added a coil splitter and converted to master vol/master tone. The stock setup however was great, even incredible. Super clean wiring all neat and bundled up nice and everything detailed nicely. Man, the Koreans are getting it together folks. The bar is being raised. If they bring thier nut finishing, fretwork, and final detailing up just one more notch they are going to be scary. Peace, out. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: New Toy: Ibanez SZ540QM

Cool! That's a sweet looking guitar. Looks like a very smooth heel from the side shot too. I'm suprised about the top thickness though for a guitar in that price range. I wouldn't mine owning one of those at all!

Congratulations [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Chris
    Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

Not a great pic here but you can see the smooth heel. It's pretty nice. You can also see the top peeking out from beyond the binding in the cutouts.

Comment

I always thought those were pretty sweet for the cash. But I could never get past that inlay.

Comment

Nice.
          Congrats on your new axe.

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
          Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

looks good, congrats!
            Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

I've been think about getting one of them in Blue and putting in some EMG's. Think i might have to start saving now
              93 USA Soloist EDS
              USA HT6 Juggernaut
              Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Actually I ordered the blue one and they sent me the wrong one. It's pretty cool though, I just didn't want another red gutar but it so nice looking I said screw it, I'm keeping it! Lol.

Comment

Glad ya like it, because I just ordered one!

congrats...

theo

Comment

They look great, play great and sound great. Ibanez kicks major tail (if you pick the right models)!!
                    Nice guitar bro. Very nice.

Comment

The Rythym guitarist from Shadows Fall plays those with 2 EMG 81 pickups in it. My bet is his is Japanese made, but the Korean ones look like they are of very good quality also. I like the plain oiled mahogany one or the black ones. I may pick one up soon. Jack.

Comment

actually Matt Bachand had the lower Korean model (320MH)for a little bit, the natural mahogany, with his usual 81 and 60 EMG's in it, as a replacement for his SC 420 (different model than the SZ).

now he has a custom SZ, neck-through, with the same pup's. its sweet looking.

Comment

Yeah, Matt's custom SZ is pretty damn nice. I've always loved seeing neckthroughs with 5 piece necks and the wood going all the way through.

I also have considered getting a 520 in blue and putting EMG's in it. The slightly shorter scale will make bending a tad easier than on a normal 25.5", plus the medium frets will make it play more like a Les Paul, but without the chunky neck. With EMG's I bet it will rip!

Comment

Looks sharp! Congrats on the score.

Comment

Working...
                            X