Fingerboards with no inlays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fingerboards with no inlays?

I'll be the voice of dissent here. I had a Schecter 7-string (the A-7 Elite) with only the 12th-fret inlay, and I couldn't get used to it. The side dots weren't enough when I was playing fast--I'm a very "visual" player, I guess, and I find inlay markers to be useful. On the Schecter, I had to stop and think where my fingers were supposed to go without having my usual visual reference--and that's not very helpful for shredding.

And yes, I'm the kind of dork who wears the guitar sitting high, so it rests on my beer gut and allows me to see the inlays... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't need inlays because I never look at my fingers much while I'm playing. But I do like to have them on my guitars for the "cool" factor. Sharkies and the ESP arrowheads are two of my favorite inlays.

Comment

The trouble with side dots is an optical illusion at around about the 17th fret that can make you fret a note high on the high E string a half tone flat.I find this with my Parkerfly(mind you i wear gtrs low when i play)and i am certain my Ibanez js did the same too when looking at the dots at a certain angle

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I'll be the voice of dissent here. I had a Schecter 7-string (the A-7 Elite) with only the 12th-fret inlay, and I couldn't get used to it. The side dots weren't enough when I was playing fast--I'm a very "visual" player, I guess, and I find inlay markers to be useful. On the Schecter, I had to stop and think where my fingers were supposed to go without having my usual visual reference--and that's not very helpful for shredding.

And yes, I'm the kind of dork who wears the guitar sitting high, so it rests on my beer gut and allows me to see the inlays... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
          Cool. I wear my guitar a little on the high side, but not as high as I used to. I just ordered the 007 Elite from MF for $599, but I found it on another site for $519, so MF matched the price for me. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I realize I tend to look at the fingerboard more when sitting on the couch and mostly use only the side dots when standing, so I guess I should be okay.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Cool. I wear my guitar a little on the high side, but not as high as I used to. I just ordered the 007 Elite from MF for $599, but I found it on another site for $519, so MF matched the price for me. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I realize I tend to look at the fingerboard more when sitting on the couch and mostly use only the side dots when standing, so I guess I should be okay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a good deal. I like the look of the 007 model--kind of a Rickenbacker-ish thing. I do prefer neckthrus to setneck guitars, however, which is why I scouted out a used A-7 Elite, rather than get an 007. The Schecter sevens are nice players--better than ESP LTD sevens that I've tried. The necks are fairly chunky compared to Ibanez, but they fit in your hand very nicely, and the frets on both Schecter sevens I had (I also briefly had a V-7) were well done for a mass-produced Korean guitar.

Comment

I like beefier necks anyway, so this should be right up my alley. I was also thinking about the C7 Blackjack 7, but something about the 007 shape was real appealing to me. And I don't care either way if it's set neck, bolt-on or neck-thru.

Comment

For a brief period, I had a 22-fret neck with a 12th fret only inlay. I never played a no-inlay neck before, and I found the 12th fret inlay to be a nice reference point when looking down, esp. when moving up the neck to solo. So next time I think I can take the plunge to a entire no-inlay fingerboard!
                "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I had a reversed problem initially with my Schecter C-1 Classic, in that there is TOO MUCH inlay are the fretboard [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The C-1 Classic has a very elaborate Vine of Life inlay on the entire length of the 24 frets board. There is so much visually on the fretboard that I had to use the sidedots exclusively, but it was a breeze to make the adjustment. So I feel that I am ready for a no-inlay fretboard too [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I had a reversed problem initially with my Schecter C-1 Classic, in that there is TOO MUCH inlay are the fretboard [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The C-1 Classic has a very elaborate Vine of Life inlay on the entire length of the 24 frets board. There is so much visually on the fretboard that I had to use the sidedots exclusively, but it was a breeze to make the adjustment. So I feel that I am ready for a no-inlay fretboard too [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                    LOL I thought of that, too! I always liked those Ibanez models with the floral/vine inlays but just thought it was too much going on visually. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

The firebird on the Left (Lentz - First one ever built) has no inlays. The binding around the neck is also triple binding (Think les paul custom white/black/white/black/white)

Here is a pick of my Wayne body/Warmoth neck parts mutt with no inlay. Far right in pic.

I love no inlays so you have my vote.

Comment

Very cool, Chris! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I think it takes the right guitar to make no inlays look good. I love my axe! It was weird at first, but it only takes a few minutes to get used to it. In fact I remember picking one up with dots and it messed me up.

Comment

I got to get better pics of my Rand:

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Kellystar!!

Comment

Wow, Steve, that KS is truly stunning... [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X