Pickup choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup choices

Hi guys, i'm currently mulling over a new bridge pup for my KV2 and I need whatever comments or suggestions any of you may have. The guitar currently has a TB-4 in the bridge and a SH-4 in the neck, Duncan's of course. Speed metal and thrash is what I always play so i've narrowed it down to 3 choices (and no i'm not going to put in EMG's).

SH-13 Dimebucker
    SH-6 Duncan Distortion
    SH-5 Duncan Custom

I use my neck pup strictly for solo's so the choice for the bridge is concerning riffs only, the goal is to get a nice crisp distortion and a decent crunch for power chords, any input any of you have would be appreciated.

Re: Pickup choices

Dammit I put this post in the wrong part of the forum. Sorry guys. [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

I can help you decide but I need to know what you don't like about the TB-4/SH-4 combination.

Comment

Between the Distortion and the Custom, I much prefer the Distortion for what you're describing. It haas an awesome crunch for power chords and stays very tight for fast metal riffing. I have no experience with the Dimebucker.

Comment

Chevrolet
          "POOP"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I can help you decide but I need to know what you don't like about the TB-4/SH-4 combination.

[/ QUOTE ]

The SH-4 in the neck is fine, the TB-4 in the bridge sounds a little too weak when muffing power chords like it bottoms out and has no bite at all. Playing open chords the tone is good just doesnt have that presence i'm looking for.

Comment

SH-5 Custom. Most dynamic of yur choices. You can turn them down a hair and they become much more focused which is one of the big advantages of this pickup.

You can get separation and clarity when riffing fast with this pup.

I have tried Bill Lawrence and many other pickups in my Jacksons and I keep coming back to the SH-5.

With the SH-5 all you need is a good amp.
              PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

The KV-2 really does have a JB in both the bridge and neck positions? I thought that was just a typo, like how it says the KV-2 has jumbo frets.
                please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  The KV-2 really does have a JB in both the bridge and neck positions? I thought that was just a typo, like how it says the KV-2 has jumbo frets.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Heh. I always thought it was a '59 or Jazz in the neck. Been thinking about picking a KV-2 up eventually. I like the medium-sized frets (why they stil advertise them as jumbo, I don't know [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]), I just don't care for the JB... though, it might be better in the neck since it's got more high mids and less bass, and I prefer brighter neck pups anyway.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If it has a JB in both positions, check your pot values. The JB was originally designed to be used with 250k pots. If you're running with 500k, that might explain the thin, weak sound.

Comment

Alder body ( flamed maple top on transparent finishes)
                      Quartersawn maple neck with thru-body design
                      Compound-radius fingerboard
                      Ebony fingerboard with real mother-of-pearl sharkfin inlays
                      Seymour Duncan® SH-4 neck pickup
                      Seymour Duncan TB-4 bridge pickup

I spoke to a friend who works at Duncan and believe it or not that pup configuration is correct although very odd, her thoughts were to go for the Duncan distortion or custom. Anyone else have any recomendation's?

Comment

I favor the Distortion, but that's just me.

Comment

Working...
                        X