repost: Orville by Gibson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• repost: Orville by Gibson

Some of you may have already seen this one...I posted pics when I first joined. However, my thread hijack in the Tech section regarding crooked inlays on my white Orville generated a lot of interest in the Orville brand. I don't know much about Orville's other than what's posted at bluzey.com. Based on that info, the Orville by Gibson is higher quality than the Orville in that it used USA hardware. Also, these are technically not "lawsuit" guitars as they were both Gibson brands.

This is an Orville by Gibson, 1959 reissue... So for all you bros that saw fit to make fun of the white Orville (cough...toejam...cough [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]), here's her hot sister. No crooked inlays!

I bought the above guitar from bluzey.com (on eBay) and was so happy with the guitar I purchased the white Orville (below), which turned out to have crooked inlays. Lesson learned is that I will buy Orville by Gibson from pics alone, but not Orvilles. Not that the white Orville is not a great player...she is (and fwiw they get rave reviews over at HC), but the inlays make it hard to fall in love with her.

I am tempted to send her to GMW for a Zakk Bullseye refin and fix those damn inlays once and for all!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Re: repost: Orville by Gibson

Looks so great George!
    Orville by Gibson are highly considered as better ones and they sell a lot more money in Japan(and in U.S. too).
    One of the reasons is they are equipped with U.S.A. Gibson pickups.
    Later Orville came with non Gibson pickups.
    Also some say these early ones(Orville by Gibson) are better built.
    I agree with that after I tried several of these.

Comment

I've heard nothing but good from other Orville owners. Supposed to be as good as the Les Paul or better at a fraction of the cost. Your flametop is sure a beauty!!

Comment

okay, where the hell can you get these? i see that the ebay seller doesn't have any more. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

This is funny that this thread popped up. A good friend of mine just got a Orville branded Les Paul. It has crooked inlays and is pretty heavy, nothing too special. He has 3 other Orville by Gibson guitars (LP, SG, and 335) that blow the one he just got away. Better sounding, better fit and finish, just really nice guitars for a fraction of the price and a USA Gibson. Just wanted to post that you are not alone with your crooked inlays [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

-Jason

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            okay, where the hell can you get these? i see that the ebay seller doesn't have any more. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sully...

The Katana guitar dudes usually get them. You can put an email request in for one...they sell all the really cool high-end Jap guitars.

I had an Orville Firebird that was way cool. Set necked, like an Epi....but overall much better quality build, and materials. And it sported all Gibson USA electronics, and hardware.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              This is funny that this thread popped up. A good friend of mine just got a Orville branded Les Paul. It has crooked inlays and is pretty heavy, nothing too special. He has 3 other Orville by Gibson guitars (LP, SG, and 335) that blow the one he just got away. Better sounding, better fit and finish, just really nice guitars for a fraction of the price and a USA Gibson. Just wanted to post that you are not alone with your crooked inlays [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe. Yep, apart from the crooked inlays, it's obvious that the white Orville left the factory with a few minor fit-and-finish flaws that would not be tolerated in a high end production line.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I had 2...a sweet ass goldtop, and a cherryburst.
                Sold the goldtop, and kept the cherryburst which I have equipped with Gibson USA pickups and some new gotoh tuners with keystone knobs. Great guitars for the $$. They have the long neck tenon, which you would only get these days with a custom shop or Historic.

Comment

MIJsixstringkatana is the Katana username on Ebay, I think. If I am wrong, just search the ESP listings on Ebay and you'll typically find ESP/Edwards brand lawsuits from Katana, and then you can search the other Japanese guitars (Orville, Orville By Gibson, Burny, Edwards, MIJ Fender, Greco, etc.) they sell.

If that doesn't work, search items/descriptions for "erectric guitar" on Ebay. Yes, ERECTRIC. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I am not kidding. The seller is Japanese, and Ls are Rs in the Asian languages, and that's how Katana spells "electric guitar".

Comment

Beautiful burst on that LP, that's a fine instrument.

jim
                    Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

it is mijsixstringkatana

I think the Orville may be Fernandes build. I have an old MIJ, non serial LP std, probably from 70's with a silkscreened gold 'Les Paul Model' (stock pre-lawsuit)and a defaced logo that is similar in construction quality.
                      The inlays are hand cut, most likely hand routed and laid slightly crooked in the upper registers. Even the shave on the headstock is slightly off from side to side in the arc as are the tuner mountings, but it has a great neck shape and is fine player. Older MIJ stuff does have its nostalgia, but I am thankful for the increase in standards of MIJ build during the eighties.

Comment

Sweet, I was right:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfromZR9Q...xstringskatana

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          So for all you bros that saw fit to make fun of the white Orville (cough...toejam...cough [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]), here's her hot sister. No crooked inlays!

[/ QUOTE ]
                          LOL Sweet guitars! If the crooked inlays bother you that much, you can always send it to me. It wouldn't bother me at all. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I think the Orville line are bitchin. I want an Orville Firebird.

Comment

Working...
                            X